TheOz

For those who are not excited for hyperspace(imperial players? Rebel players? “Variety” players?) can ffg change your mind?

2 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

Citation needed. 

I was never surprised by Hyperspace. ****, I expected 2nd edition only to be the main competitive format since 2.0 was released (the fact that it wasn't for so much time was a surprise for me though). 

My position toward Hyperspace is different: I expected it, I understand why it's necessary for the game and I think it's a good idea. I just don't think FFG is able to execute it properly, especially while also supporting Extended (or at least pretending to). 

Something that might add grist to this: Organised Play has been in flux for a little while. The former head of European OP has been promoted and recently posted on Facebook that we could expect some changes shortly, even if it meant going back on what has been announced by his predecessors! (He's a good guy(tm) and actually plays X-Wing himself.) European OP has been better run than North American, for a while, in my short time playing this game.

1 hour ago, SOTL said:

Go ahead and hit ignore, boss.  I'm taking great pains to avoid being relevant ever again.

Why not just go dark and let yourself fade instead of trying to burn bridges?

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Maybe to avoid temptation? Looks to me like he wants out of something, maybe blogging, maybe participating in the community, maybe the entire game. Burning bridges makes it easier to stay out once you are.

Rarely worth it in the end though. :(

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

Rarely worth it in the end though. :(

Not for us at least. It's just speculation, too.

By the way @Jeff Wilder. About the two accounts, they were at least for some time being used at the same time. He mentioned once that one is mobile, the other his home computer.

33 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

My position toward Hyperspace is different: I expected it, I understand why it's necessary for the game and I think it's a good idea. I just don't think FFG is able to execute it properly, especially while also supporting Extended (or at least pretending to). 

32 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

A lot of the whinging, judging from this and other threads, comes from people whose local store(s) are only doing Hyperspace format and not doing any Extended. Competitive players who really want to do well at the Hyperspace events are happy about this. Casual players like myself who just want to go 'pew pew' with our friends don't care either way, and prefer a mix so we can use different ships each time.

If I were actively involved in OP play, this would be my exact fear.  Either (a} Extended gets so little support as to become meaningless or (b} the pseudo-democratic process forces me to play Hyperspace or stay home.

9 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Maybe to avoid temptation? Looks to me like he wants out of something, maybe blogging, maybe participating in the community, maybe the entire game. Burning bridges makes it easier to stay out once you are.

Yeah, this.  I find myself sometimes thinking I really should just divest, but then here I am weighing in on something that only tangentially affects me.

12 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

If I were actively involved in OP play, this would be my exact fear.  Either (a} Extended gets so little support as to become meaningless or (b} the pseudo-democratic process forces me to play Hyperspace or stay home.

That's fair, but a solvable problem. Offer to organize events in a FLGS. Give your local community reasons why they should give it a try. Bait with some SO training. Point out that they can try their hyperspace lists against something harder.

It only remains a problem if a specific customer attitude is prevalent. As soon as a player accepts that he has to invest something into his community, that problem will vanish.

Man I wish this thread could just die. We could still keep one where problems like that one are discussed and experiences on how to solve it are shared. But arguing over FFG's intent is so pointless (e: and yes, I'm aware of the irony)

Edited by GreenDragoon

14 hours ago, Schu81 said:

Did I already mention that Hyperfail mode sucks? 🙃

Just saying...

And now let's all get back to Extended where we can play all the hundreds of ships we have collected within the last few years. Thank you!

Sort of, you can select from those ships, sure but that's another thing I like about Hyperspace, it focuses my choices as it is.