TheOz

For those who are not excited for hyperspace(imperial players? Rebel players? “Variety” players?) can ffg change your mind?

Also I want to say I am not 100% happy with ship selection in hyperspace, I would have chosen a couple different ships for empire rebels and scum...but I can play those in extended, I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what’s good in hyperspace and with a limited card pool you can much easier balance every part

in 6 months I would not be surprised that they add two more chassis’s to each faction and balance points again, and what ever they don’t get right this time will be corrected and we will be looking at the best chance for a diverse and fun and challenging competitive scene we may have ever seen from this game

maybe I’m wrong and I understand if you want to play your favorite ship or find creative card combos despite their competitive value...but at the end of the day we are playing a game and trying to beat our opponent and have a good time doing it, and feel the challenge! And as long as competitive x wing is fun, who cares what exact plastic model is on the board

I found this note taped to my windshield, this is so crazy. 

"Dear Extended Edition Players;

Man, it's pretty awesome when you think about it. You've all had up to as much as 6 years to play and experiment and learn all the nuances of this cool game. You've invested hundreds, if not thousands of dollars and most likely gotten an enormous return on your financial investment. You've been able to experience excitement with every new wave, and had second edition not come along you'd still most likely be buying new ships, lamenting the rule bloat the game devolved into, watching the gradual erosion of your local player base as it failed to attract new players due to the irrevocably broken game state it would become. You'd have become bitter and frustrated as your vast collection and timesink withered away to pay zero dividends, playing against the same 9 faces for however many remaining months the game gasped for tactical relevancy. 

But the truth is now you still get to have your cake and eat it too and we're happy for you. For a relative pittance compared to other miniature game relaunches, you still can enjoy your collections and compete. You'll still maintain a healthy competitive advantage over newcomers as you're innately more familiar with current extended only dials, pilots and upgrades. You will have in many cases, nearly zero start up costs for the three legacy factions, although you'll complain about having to chase new cards across a couple of expansions, even as you fawn over new sculpts and paint jobs of ships you already own that you'll happily purchase one of to add to your spam list, but will cost newbies 25% more on average vs. first edition MSRP for a single model. You'll selflessly sell us your excess 1.0 ship models that are out of print at 50 percent of what you paid for them, having gotten more than your money's worth and allowing you a sense of charity that you're "helping a new player out." And when it's all said and done you'll still compete and beat all the rookies soundly at store tournaments and system opens. 

Hopefully you'll still consider giving us something to grasp onto so that we may bear witness to your riches of knowledge and disposable income? This hyperspace deal, a place where things can feel a bit more accessible to ease into? Where we can maybe occasionally be accidentally successful at a tournament and feel like we're getting into a incredibly engaging hobby that isn't so overwhelming as to alienate novices who might not have yet ascended to your levels of plastic pew pew fanaticism? I bet we'll be happy to join you if you'll have us. We know when we roll 3 natural evades against your double nodded torpedo shots you'll still cry variance, or when you blank out on your attack dice at range 1 while we limp along with our underpriced scum Han Falcon that has a - 1 agility critical attached to him, 2 hull left and an escape craft whose ability we totally forgot about you'll tell us how lucky we got. And we'll listen and respect your wisdom and feel grateful you'll play us again and tell us when we're barrel rolling our Republic ARC-170 wrong two months from now. 

I bet if you let us pay all this money to get into this game with you and get a chance to go play with a bunch of other new people at our FLGS or if we even dare to travel across state lines to play at our first system open because Texas somehow got overlooked for the next half year and we see you make the cut we'll still smile and say hi and thanks. Hopefully we can maybe even borrow your dusty TIE Punishers a year from now when they're priced up 10 points but we don't know any better. 

We might not have much in meta knowledge and ship collections and those cool acrylic templates and sparkly dice but perhaps if you let us dip our naive toes into this cosmic kiddy pool that FFG has set aside for us, we might one day earn all of that. Until then, I hope you can get by? We'd really like you to also do this weird hyperspace thingy because we want to learn more about how to play this very entertaining game from you. Thanks for buying up all the Resistance A-Wings, by the way. We probably needed to get some more practice in with our core sets for now anyways. We do appreciate the grey TIE fighter you gave us for free though! 

Graciously hopeful, 

New Generation X-wing Players"

Edited by Cloaker

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

First of all, it may be prudent to worry about getting X-Wing to the 20-year mark before worrying about what a 20-year-old game can and can't do.

Additionally, I would just like to point out that many (possibly even most) Star Wars fans aren't even gamers of any kind, much less miniatures gamers.  It's ok to speculate about what could be, but basing the size of X-Wing's player base on the size of the Star Wars fanbase is wishful thinking at best.

Maybe so, but my point is more that multiple formats is a good thing and we have real life examples in other games.

And besides x wing is the biggest selling mini’S game (I know it passed 40ks numbers 2 years ago..maybe that has changed but probably not by much) and ffg’s best selling game...so it’s doing really well despite pessimistic points of view. I mean it is a 6 year old game that is full throttle right now with the re-release, and it’s played competitively around the world...even in countries who are getting minimal support from ffg. 

31 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

I found this note taped to my windshield, this is so crazy. 

"Dear Extended Edition Players;

Man, it's pretty awesome when you think about it. You've all had up to as much as 6 years to play and experiment and learn all the nuances of this cool game. You've invested hundreds, if not thousands of dollars and most likely gotten an enormous return on your financial investment. You've been able to experience excitement with every new wave, and had second edition not come along you'd still most likely be buying new ships, lamenting the rule bloat the game devolved into, watching the gradual erosion of your local player base as it failed to attract new players due to the irrevocably broken game state it would become. You'd have become bitter and frustrated as your vast collection and timesink withered away to pay zero dividends, playing against the same 9 faces for however many remaining months the game gasped for tactical relevancy. 

But the truth is now you still get to have your cake and eat it too and we're happy for you. For a relative pittance compared to other miniature game relaunches, you still can enjoy your collections and compete. You'll still maintain a healthy competitive advantage over newcomers as you're innately more familiar with current extended only dials, pilots and upgrades. You will have in many cases, nearly zero start up costs for the three legacy factions, although you'll complain about having to chase new cards across a couple of expansions, even as you fawn over new sculpts and paint jobs of ships you already own that you'll happily purchase one of to add to your spam list, but will cost newbies 25% more on average vs. first edition MSRP for a single model. You'll selflessly sell us your excess 1.0 ship models that are out of print at 50 percent of what you paid for them, having gotten more than your money's worth and allowing you a sense of charity that you're "helping a new player out." And when it's all said and done you'll still compete and beat all the rookies soundly at store tournaments and system opens. 

Hopefully you'll still consider giving us something to grasp onto so that we may bear witness to your riches of knowledge and disposable income? This hyperspace deal, a place where things can feel a bit more accessible to ease into? Where we can maybe occasionally be accidentally successful at a tournament and feel like we're getting into a incredibly engaging hobby that isn't so overwhelming as to alienate novices who might not have yet ascended to your levels of plastic pew pew fanaticism? I bet we'll be happy to join you if you'll have us. We know when we roll 3 natural evades against your double nodded torpedo shots you'll still cry variance, or when you blank out on your attack dice at range 1 while we limp along with our underpriced scum Han Falcon that has a - 1 agility critical attached to him, 2 hull left and an escape craft whose ability we totally forgot about you'll tell us how lucky we got. And we'll listen and respect your wisdom and feel grateful you'll play us again and tell us when we're barrel rolling our Republic ARC-170 wrong two months from now. 

I bet if you let us pay all this money to get into this game with you and get a chance to go play with a bunch of other new people at our FLGS or if we even dare to travel across state lines to play at our first system open because Texas somehow got overlooked for the next half year and we see you make the cut we'll still smile and say hi and thanks. Hopefully we can maybe even borrow your dusty TIE Punishers a year from now when they're priced up 10 points but we don't know any better. 

We might not have much in meta knowledge and ship collections and those cool acrylic templates and sparkly dice but perhaps if you let us dip our naive toes into this cosmic kiddy pool that FFG has set aside for us, we might one day earn all of that. Until then, I hope you can get by? We're really like you to also do this weird hyperspace thingy because we want to learn more about how to play this very entertaining game from you. Thanks for buying up all the Resistance A-Wings, by the way. We probably needed to get some more practice in with our core sets for now anyways. We do appreciate the grey TIE fighter you gave us for free though! 

Graciously hopeful, 

New Generation X-wing Players"

Well said. Best post I've read in quite some time.

As I said in other posts, if they opened it to all Endor ships it wouldn't have been so controversial. For some reason it seems like FFG is trying to start all the way back to Wave 2 1st edition without going back to 1st edition. And if that past statement sounds confusing as it is, well so does the decisions OP made in regards to Hyperspace. As of now it is not that good and it seems more like a fix to the failed 2nd edition format than a bridge or connecting point for the old models to the new models. As they add more ships it would get better, but at the very least they should have included (rebel) A-wings, B-wings, TIE-Bombers, TIE-Interceptors, and maybe another ship for scum (say IG-2000 aggressor or something). But in OP's infinite wisdom they have limited it to onyl the 1st Order and Resistance conversion kits, and a single ship form the rebels.

Edited by Marinealver

4 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Basically, hyperspace doesn’t open up any new options for me as a Rebel and now resistance player that weren’t already good in extended, it just cuts off deeper exploration and makes me play all he stuff I’ve already been playing and winning with. Maybe if they make the non-hyperspace legal ships in Rebels and Scum suck less then they do now, I’d be more excited about not having to deal with them in hyperspace.

That's not true, though.  Removing most of the strongest stuff absolutely promotes things to the front that aren't currently good enough in Extended.

I'm expecting the Falcon to be a big deal in Extended,both in Rebel and Resistance.

FWIW, we've been over this a dozen times in the last few months.  I started out really hoping to build bridges and share enthusiasm for Second Edition format (now Hyperspace) and over the many iterations of this discussion all that optimism and positivity I initially had has just been worn down by the sheer selfishness of the Extended-only players.  That's so transparent in this thread that you're just not even prepared to engage with the idea of Hyperspace at all, you're just going to throw a tantrum and scream and scream until you're sick.

200.gif

You're just *****, and if Hyperspace does eventually take over and you all quit I will be glad to see you go. 

Edited by SOTL

Personally, I'm looking forward to having two formats. Smaller formats force players to work with what they have, often ships they haven't played in a while, which is a good thing. Hyperspace is also obviously more friendly to new players.

As an event organizer though, I'm a little worried. Our pool of players is relatively small to begin with, and too many players insisting on exclusively playing one format would most likely just kill the scene locally. We need a large majority embracing both for this to work.

3 minutes ago, Okapi said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to having two formats. Smaller formats force players to work with what they have, often ships they haven't played in a while, which is a good thing. Hyperspace is also obviously more friendly to new players.

As an event organizer though, I'm a little worried. Our pool of players is relatively small to begin with, and too many players insisting on exclusively playing one format would most likely just kill the scene locally. We need a large majority embracing both for this to work.

Just being able to bounce between the two formats is fantastic, and maybe a lot of X-Wing players have never really been in an OP system that does that to understand the benefits.

Round here I think a huge number of players are really jaded by Extended and feel it's too close to 1.0, so they're really looking forward to Hyperspace shaking things up and bringing some more balanced play.  I imagine that after a couple of months of Hyperspace they'll be newly excited about going back to all the madness of Extended for a bit.  A change is as good as a rest!

2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

First of all, it may be prudent to worry about getting X-Wing to the 20-year mark before worrying about what a 20-year-old game can and can't do.

Additionally, I would just like to point out that many (possibly even most) Star Wars fans aren't even gamers of any kind, much less miniatures gamers.  It's ok to speculate about what could be, but basing the size of X-Wing's player base on the size of the Star Wars fanbase is wishful thinking at best.

Oh PLEASE. Are you actually kidding me here? Dude, look at the numbers on EA's mobile games and the Battlefront series. All of those things sell like hotcakes. Don't give me that, "They're bad" stuff, yeah okay whatever they're not the best- and it's Star Wars, it sells. **** the latter game sees ongoing support.

And guess what? The kids that grew up playing Star Wars games, like me? We're 26 now. Then you've got folks like my little brother, who's star wars is TCW. Who also plays games. A lot.

Like, with all due respect you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If you actually think "most star wars fans aren't gamers of any kind", you reeeaaaaaally need to step back, realize how young many star wars fans are these days, and how videogames have been a HUGE part of our lives since we were no older than five. 3-4, for me.

That's 22 years of consistent Star Wars gaming for me. Longer for my dad, an original Star Wars fan. (Not a WHOLE lot longer, but longer still.)

Like, I really don't get it. You really don't think many star wars fans are gamers? Okay, sure, maybe not miniatures gamers, but you know, these X-Wing miniatures are great models that can go on desks (and often do!) and are very, very appealing to collectors of all shapes and sizes. You don't even need to play this game to enjoy the models.

And guess what? At least half of those people will try the game they're designed for.

Don't talk out of your exhaust. You of all people are far better than that.

The only thing that would make me interested in Hyperspace is to make it an actual thought out limited format instead of a glorified second edition format. That means a ship/card selection that has nothing to do with if something has been released or not but instead on what will make an interesting and balanced meta.

Personally... repricing Proton Torps would help, they're by far the biggest balance problem I foresee with the hyperspace meta, btu the balance is nowhere near my biggest issue.

My biggest issue is boredom.  Finding the best list(s) per faction will take basically no time, and as soon as they've been worked out the meta will be very, very stale.  I don't really want to go to a 2 day regional and fly against one of the same 3 lists with one of those lists every round.

Back to the bad old days of 1e, except this time I can't fly something goofy for funsies.

I'm not really against Hyperspace, but rather on the fence. 

First of all I will be playing Hyperspace for a multitude of reasons:

- It's the way forward. If Hyperspace fails, so does X-wing IMO, as Extended has a huge barrier of entry for new players. 

- I'm very interested in switching my 'main' factions from Scum/Rebels to CIS/Republic and both will obviously perform way better in Hyperspace. 

Secondly though, I feel Hyperspace has two main issues:

- The fracture in the community. For a tiny community like mine, if even one guy walks away it's a pretty big chunk. 

-Balance fears. Given FFG's track record, I honestly don't think FFG has the ability to get it right the first time for each new Hyperspace ship/card pool, and they won't have that much time to correct it. I believe Hyperspace balance will be all over the place, but I'd ve very glad to be proven wrong. 

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

FWIW, we've been over this a dozen times in the last few months.  I started out really hoping to build bridges and share enthusiasm for Second Edition format (now Hyperspace) and over the many iterations of this discussion all that optimism and positivity I initially had has just been worn down by the sheer selfishness of the Extended-only players.  That's so transparent in this thread that you're just not even prepared to engage with the idea of Hyperspace at all, you're just going to throw a tantrum and scream and scream until you're sick.

200.gif

You're just *****, and if Hyperspace does eventually take over and you all quit I will be glad to see you go.

Might be that the inflection and style of some of your posts (esp. lately) just might have contributed to some "hot" responses. (There is a reason why you lately have been om my ignore list).

I am also quite sceptical of FFG's ability to get the point values right.

I still do now understand why FFG still only uses the blunt instruments of global point change (solving problem with Pilot P, but costing the card out of existence for everything/one else), and global slot management (ships sold with upgrades they no longer can equip, sounds familiar?), and refrains using one more fine-tuned tool: just ban a ban certain combo of pilot P on ship A with upgrade U respectively just remove the upgrade slot for U on that, and only that pilot P.

My local community is far too small to support 2 formats. They are undecided yet, which format to go. If they decide for hyperspace, I have a problem. FFG's selection of legal ships for Hyperspace is strange (and looks suspiciously like "you have to buy the shiny new ships"): The vast majority of my collection are small based and medium based snub-fighters, I own not many large ships. I recently converted for 190dollars, I did a count:

Out of my

16 rebel ship models I can use 6 in Hyperspace (I do not like flappy X-wings, so more like 2 ships)

22 Empire 13 in Hyperspace (and that is due to the large amount of 9 TIE l/ns)

Last week 28 Scum I can use 0 (in words: ZERO!) in Hyperspace. 

I actually just bought a Mining Guild TIE now and with my ages ago converted 2 formerly Empire TIEs, gives me 3 Scum ships, which do not get up to 200pts, and are in squad archetype similar to my Empire ships.

A bit difficult to have

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

enthusiasm for Second Edition format (now Hyperspace)

for me, don't you think?

Edited by Managarmr
Spellcheck, and forgot my MGTs.

1 hour ago, LordBlades said:

- It's the way forward. If Hyperspace fails, so does X-wing IMO, as Extended has a huge barrier of entry for new players.

I still don't get this argument.  It's only a huge barrier to entry if you're determined to get EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW.

If what you want is a competitive list, you need all of a Core Set, a T65, and a Y wing, to have a top tier competitive list, and everything you need to play it.  That's less than £100.

If what you want is to play casual play at store nights then all you need is 200 points worth of any ships, and most if not all stores will be full of people willing to lend stuff if you don't have what you want right now.

And that's completely ignoring the secondary market which is by far the best and cheapest way into a full collection, if you can afford it.

Extended doesn't have a high barrier to entry.

And i#m not just saying that, we've had more new players join our store in the last 6 months than the last 2 years.

Edited by thespaceinvader

7 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I still don't get this argument.  It's only a huge barrier to entry if you're determined to get EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW.

If what you want is a competitive list, you need all of a Core Set, a T65, and a Y wing, to have a top tier competitive list.

If what you want is to play casual play at store nights then all you need is 200 points worth of any ships, and most if not all stores will be full of people willing to lend stuff if you don't have what you want right now.

And that's completely ignoring the secondary market which is by far the best and cheapest way into a full collection, if you can afford it.

Extended doesn't have a high barrier to entry.

I was talking about playing Extended competitively. For that you have to track increasingly rare out of print models and buy conversion kits which aren't great value for somebody who only owns a handful of ships. 

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

Just being able to bounce between the two formats is fantastic, and maybe a lot of X-Wing players have never really been in an OP system that does that to understand the benefits.

Round here I think a huge number of players are really jaded by Extended and feel it's too close to 1.0, so they're really looking forward to Hyperspace shaking things up and bringing some more balanced play.  I imagine that after a couple of months of Hyperspace they'll be newly excited about going back to all the madness of Extended for a bit.  A change is as good as a rest!

Ooh ooh! I'm one of those players! I fell out of X-Wing just prior to the Auzituk's wave (having been in the game since the day it had its UK release), and made the mistake of attempting to try and re-enter about the time Harpoon Missiles had just been released. It was a mistake. Now we're back, with 2.0, and facing the same issues: while Second Edition is generally more wholesome a game than 1.0 became, there are ships and crew that make me wonder whether anything has changed. Specifically things like Sloane or Vader on Whisper (why do Phantoms have a crew slot anyway?) Also, how much are some of the more...popular...1.0 ships going for online now? I heard someone found a Punisher on eBay for $90: that's just insane. A new player shouldn't have to pay that much money just to remain "competitive".

By differentiating the formats, new players can have a chance at success; for the most part they'll have the same card ship/library as their more experienced contemporaries, and the result of events will be more likely to come down to strategic and tactical ability rather than whose Vader triggers first or whose Redline fires Torpedoes last. Extended events, either run by stores or System Opens, will still cater to the players who want to hit each other with meta-sticks, and those brave enough to venture there with a Hyperspace list because it's all they've got (they're new, after all!)

I see why it's divisive, and I do have some sympathy with players who want more Extended OP events, feel marginalised by FFG, or whose gaming groups are being torn apart like Kylo Ren crying to his father on a bridge; but I do believe Hyperspace is probably good for the game in the long-run. 

Oh, I forgot about one point the OP made: As a primarily Empire player, I'm still looking forward to Hyperspace. Sure, we'll lose access to Redline and Whisper, but those two see more play than they should right anyway, now due to incorrect costing (although I think it's the pilots more than the chasses; I'd leave Echo and possibly Deathrain where they are), and the Advanced x1 sans Vader is obviously overcosted across the board by something like 2-3 points (it's on par with a Kihraxz, not an X-Wing). On the other hand, TIE Fighters and Strikers are perfectly costed, and I think the Reaper is pretty much where it should be as well. There are other ways to play Empire besides stacking tokens and launching ordnance, and a format that forces my fellow TIE pilots to relearn that is just a-ok by me.

18 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

I was talking about playing Extended competitively. For that you have to track increasingly rare out of print models and buy conversion kits which aren't great value for somebody who only owns a handful of ships. 

You don't though.

You can play extended competitively perfectly well with just models released in 2e.

X/X/Y is a fine competitive list, usually Wedge/Luke/Dutch.

2 T70s and an A wing, or 3 T70s are both fine lists.  Poe is one of the strongest ships IN THE GAME right now.

Boba, a Fang and a Mining Tie is a fine competitive list.  So's Boba Fenn.  So's dual firesprays.

4 X Wings is also solid.  I'm sure you can get other competitive lists out of Res and FO too, though honestly I've really not paid attention to them.

etc etc etc.  Imperials are in a bit of a squiffy place, though, granted.  But, there are a tonne of good lists in Extended without buying any out of print models or conversion kits at all.  And that number will only increase as more 2e releases drop.  To play competitively you only need a very small number of ships, they just have to be GOOD ships, and there are many.

And that's ignoring the possibility of just buying one or two 1e ships to support your FO or Resistance conversion, or the many other options for getting large amounts of 1e plastic and a conversion kit.

It's a disingenuous, not to mention incorrect, argument to say that extended has a high barrier to entry.  It just doesn't.  Its barrier to entry is precisely equal to Hyperspace's - a core set plus two expacs.  It has a high barrier to completion, but then, so does Hyperspace.  If you want to be able to do every possible list you're still spending hundreds if not thousands.  If you just want every SHIP once that's still 500 odd.

Seriously, how is hyperspace's barrier to entry lower?  What you need to play competitive extended: core set, x wing, y wing.  3 ships, all available in 2e expacs.  What you need to play in Hyperspace: Core set, X Wing, Y Wing.  Same 3 ships.

47 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

Might be that the inflection and style of some of your posts (esp. lately) just might have contributed to some "hot" responses. (There is a reason why you lately have been om my ignore list).

I am also quite sceptical of FFG's ability to get the point values right.

I still do now understand why FFG still only uses the blunt instruments of global point change (solving problem with Pilot P, but costing the card out of existence for everything/one else), and global slot management (ships sold with upgrades they no longer can equip, sounds familiar?), and refrains using one more fine-tuned tool: just ban a ban certain combo of pilot P on ship A with upgrade U respectively just remove the upgrade slot for U on that, and only that pilot P.

My local community is far too small to support 2 formats. They are undecided yet, which format to go. If they decide for hyperspace, I have a problem. FFG's selection of legal ships for Hyperspace is strange (and looks suspiciously like "you have to buy the shiny new ships"): The vast majority of my collection are small based and medium based snub-fighters, I own not many large ships. I recently converted for 190dollars, I did a count:

Out of my

16 rebel ship models I can use 6 in Hyperspace (I do not like flappy X-wings, so more like 2 ships)

22 Empire 13 in Hyperspace (and that is due to the large amount of 9 TIE l/ns)

Last week 28 Scum I can use 0 (in words: ZERO!) in Hyperspace. 

I actually just bought a Mining Guild TIE now and with my ages ago converted 2 formerly Empire TIEs, gives me 3 Scum ships, which do not get up to 200pts, and are in squad archetype similar to my Empire ships.

A bit difficult to have

for me, don't you think?

Why does your local community have to choose?  I'm genuinely baffled as EVERYTHING that FFG is doing is saying you'll have a bit of both.

Choosing one or the other is just... I don't get it.  

1 hour ago, SOTL said:

Why does your local community have to choose?  I'm genuinely baffled as EVERYTHING that FFG is doing is saying you'll have a bit of both.

Choosing one or the other is just... I don't get it.  

Many communities are small enough that they can’t keep up two formats and have enough people showing up. They’re lucky to have enough people for one format on a regular pace.

Not everyone gets the luxury of choosing both and going to whichever they like every single time they want to play.

I really don't but the "extended is to difficult to get into for a new player" argument, it is much easier to do so now than it was towards the end of first edition. 

I started little over a year ago and it wasn't like I could buy any ship back then because there where several that where sold out everywhere because they hadn't been reprinted for a while and some that took months before they became available. And that's completely ignoring the card issue. As a new player I had to choose between buying ships for my faction or buying ships for another faction to get the cards I needed to play the ships I already had. A new player now just need to buy a conversion kit and get a more complete card collection then I ever could in first edition.

7 hours ago, LTuser said:

What IS hyperspace??  A new version?  An on-line way to play??

Hyperspace format is a limited card/ship pool for squad-buuilding that will be required in a large number of official X-Wing competitions from 2019 onward. 

It's in contrast to extended, which is a wide open squad-building pool of every available card/ship in the game. 

Just wanted to make sure somebody answered you. 

It's not going to last for long abyway.

FFG stated that they were pursuing an "incredibly aggressive re-release schedule" for 2nd edition, especially in the first year.

With the vast majority of pilots already printed for 2nd edition ships (via the conversion kits), it's not hard to imagine that by the end of 2019 we'll see most of the 1st edition ships "Hyperspace legal" anyway.

5 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

My biggest issue is boredom.  Finding the best list(s) per faction will take basically no time, and as soon as they've been worked out the meta will be very, very stale.  I don't really want to go to a 2 day regional and fly against one of the same 3 lists with one of those lists every round.

Back to the bad old days of 1e, except this time I can't fly something goofy for funsies.

This is the thing that I don't get the most.

Right now, Extended is a **** show, as far as variety goes. Over half of Rebel lists contain Wedge. Similar numbers for Whisper and Boba.

But hyperspace has a lower power ceiling. The gap between tier one lists and tier two lists is smaller, which means the range of things that are viable is wider. If you show up with something random, like, 3x Firesprays in Extended, you'll get absolutely dumpstered by Whisper/Redline/Soontir. If you bring 3x Firesprays to Hyperspace, and match up against I dunno, like Boba/Fenn/Lando?... it feels like you have a fighting chance? You're playing from behind, but you probably win at least 2 or 3 games out of 10? More if you're the better player or your dice roll a little hot?

Point being, there's always gonna be tier 1 lists, but the size of the difference matters. A list that's 95% as good as the best list can be competitive, a list that's 55% as good probably can't. Hyperspace will have more of the former, because the average list hasn't changed but the best lists aren't as strong.