TheOz

For those who are not excited for hyperspace(imperial players? Rebel players? “Variety” players?) can ffg change your mind?

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

We finally have two formats after calling for it for years, and now that we do it's called a divisive move by FFG.

Speak for yourself. I am lurking this forums since 2014 and people wanting new X-Wing format were few and far between - mostly small group of eternal malcontents.
Majority of hardcore players were too busy playing this game instead of practicing whining here.

X-Wing 1.0 with its one, standard format, was definetly doing something right - this game skyrocketed in popularity and was most popular miniatures game for a very long time.

Let's see where X-Wing 2.0 ends up with its strategy of fragmenting community by introducing two separate formats (as someone mentioned earlier it is already out of top 5 ranking for the most popular miniatures games).

Posted (edited)

"Hey there old timer, y'all been enjoying playing with all your ships?"

"Sure have"

"That's great, and it's been what... five years?  Six years?  Being able to do what you want whenever you want all that time... that sure sounds like a sweet deal".

"What of it"

"Well, it's just that a few of the boys got to wonderin'... well more'n a few actually... and we do have some new folk just moved into town and all"

"Spit it out boy"

"well, it's just.  Maybe we got to wondering if maybe - and just for a change, just for maybe now and then - maybe we make it so that we only get to use a few things?"

"YOU GET OFF MY LAND!"

"Wait wait, it's only for now and then.  It's just that not all folks have got all as much as you do.  And anyway, we thought we done it the old way so long, maybe it'd be nice to try something new?"

"YOU SAY ONE MORE WORD, AND BY GOD I SWEAR I WILL SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE!"

"Woah woah, I'm leaving, in leaving.  Crazy old coot, we don't want you around no more anyhow.  Only came up here out of politeness"

"YOU'LL TAKE MY SOONTIR FEL FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS.  NOW GIT!"

Edited by SOTL

1 hour ago, Embir82 said:

Let's see where X-Wing 2.0 ends up with its strategy of fragmenting community by introducing two separate formats

How is it fragmenting the community?

What's stopping people from just playing both formats as and when they feel like it? 

The only people who are incapable of playing one format are players new to second edition who can't compete in Extended. Which would still be a problem and would still be 'dividing the community' if Extended were the only format. 

I just don't get people's opposition to an additional limited format. For one, it's the most fair approach I can think of for inclusiveness in what actually amounts to a brand new game. And for another, I don't get why people who enjoy playing the game wouldn't relish the challenge of a limited format where they can't necessarily use their favourite ships and combos. 

Now, people may have issues with the current selection of ships for Hyperspace, and that's fair enough. I can understand Imperial players feeling a bit like they've got the short end of the stick with what they have available, but that's a very different argument.

And if Imperial players really don't want to slum it with TIE swarms and Vader, then why not embrace the spirit of Hyperspace and get out of your comfort zone by flying another faction? You can always bring Redline and Whisper to another tournament. 

1 hour ago, SOTL said:

"Hey there old timer, y'all been enjoying playing with all your ships?"

"Sure have"

"That's great, and it's been what... five years?  Six years?  Being able to do what you want whenever you want all that time... that sure sounds like a sweet deal".

"What of it"

"Well, it's just that a few of the boys got to wonderin'... well more'n a few actually... and we do have some new folk just moved into town and all"

"Spit it out boy"

"well, it's just.  Maybe we got to wondering if maybe - and just for a change, just for maybe now and then - maybe we make it so that we only get to use a few things?"

"YOU GET OFF MY LAND!"

"Wait wait, it's only for now and then.  It's just that not all folks have got all as much as you do.  And anyway, we thought we done it the old way so long, maybe it'd be nice to try something new?"

"YOU SAY ONE MORE WORD, AND BY GOD I SWEAR I WILL SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE!"

"Woah woah, I'm leaving, in leaving.  Crazy old coot, we don't want you around no more anyhow.  Only came up here out of politeness"

"YOU'LL TAKE MY SOONTIR FEL FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS.  NOW GIT!"

stawman.png

2 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Speak for yourself. I am lurking this forums since 2014 and people wanting new X-Wing format were few and far between - mostly small group of eternal malcontents.
Majority of hardcore players were too busy playing this game instead of practicing whining here.

X-Wing 1.0 with its one, standard format, was definetly doing something right - this game skyrocketed in popularity and was most popular miniatures game for a very long time.

Let's see where X-Wing 2.0 ends up with its strategy of fragmenting community by introducing two separate formats (as someone mentioned earlier it is already out of top 5 ranking for the most popular miniatures games).

I quote. X-Wing 1.0 had a good tournament format, and a lot of scenario for tematic games. What 2.0 need is a good bunch of scenario and campaign to acquire a good 360° around game experience. Star Wars need to be considered more than the IP behind a game like Magic the Gathering. One should feel the unique flavor of the Far Far away Galaxy.

34 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

What's stopping people from just playing both formats as and when they feel like it? 

The only people who are incapable of playing one format are players new to second edition who can't compete in Extended. Which would still be a problem and would still be 'dividing the community' if Extended were the only format. 

I just don't get people's opposition to an additional limited format. For one, it's the most fair approach I can think of for inclusiveness in what actually amounts to a brand new game. And for another, I don't get why people who enjoy playing the game wouldn't relish the challenge of a limited format where they can't necessarily use their favourite ships and combos. 

Now, people may have issues with the current selection of ships for Hyperspace, and that's fair enough. I can understand Imperial players feeling a bit like they've got the short end of the stick with what they have available, but that's a very different argument.

And if Imperial players really don't want to slum it with TIE swarms and Vader, then why not embrace the spirit of Hyperspace and get out of your comfort zone by flying another faction? You can always bring Redline and Whisper to another tournament. 

I don't play competitively, and never will.   I like to be able to build whatever squad I want from all my stuff, and match it up my opponent, and have it be reasonably well balanced.  If it's fun, it's balanced enough for me. 

My concern with hyperspace is that FFG will no longer be incentivized to balance the game properly.  If this is truly a second format and both formats will be maintained, then I have no problem at all.  I kind of doubt that's going to happen though: hyperspace is no doubt much easier for them to balance and work with, so it wouldn't surprise me if extended is dropped in the future. 

Ah well, as long as extended is reasonably balanced before it goes out, then I'll be fine.  I'd be happy with my collection as is and don't really need to buy anything else.  It'd just suck if it was left in a poorly balanced state like (arguably) x-wing 1.0 was.   I haven't yet played 2.0, and in fact i haven't played 1.0 for quite some time.  I do have my conversion kits and I'm looking forward to playing when my daughter learns to actually sleep.

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

A good example for faulty reasoning. Also, one of the lucky 33 previously mentioned

I always find it hilarious that some snowflakes offended by different opinions have an urge to officialy announce that they are going to ignore some user. As if anyone would care - talk about illusions of grandeur.

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

Because from what we heard part of the official tournaments will be played exclusively in Hyperspace format. There is a ton of players that treat casual games and meetings in gaming clubs or LGS as a way to train before the main events. I doubt people training for Hyperspace events will want to waste time playing Extended format and vice versa. Thus rift will be created.  

3 hours ago, Embir82 said:

(as someone mentioned earlier it is already out of top 5 ranking for the most popular miniatures games).

Where is this info? This is worrisome. I'm trying to bring new people in and I like bragging about it being #1! 

1 minute ago, Cloaker said:

Where is this info? This is worrisome. I'm trying to bring new people in and I like bragging about it being #1! 

And how much of that is due to the confusion between last May and September? Or drastically reduced sales when basicall all people just convert instead of buying into it?

Sounds like Trump bragging about the economy 2016-18 as if it was his doing. In other words: one of the faulty arguments I mentioned

3 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

And how much of that is due to the confusion between last May and September? Or drastically reduced sales when basicall all people just convert instead of buying into it?

Sounds like Trump bragging about the economy 2016-18 as if it was his doing. In other words: one of the faulty arguments I mentioned

I did read that 1.0 is done, what's out there is what's out there. When there's only 1 edition of boxes on shelves that will help. 

But yeah, I hope you aren't comparing me to the Chee-to. 😞

26 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Only if you decide not to join them.

When Hyperspace season is fully upon us, I hope you're doing blogs every other week. You can help deep dive why it's better. Analysis or examples. You can help. You know how to accentuate what makes the game fun and great, and how to provide instructive guidance and advice. 

Stay on, Leader. 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, SOTL said:

And Hyperspace is awesome, but it's different to Extended and you spend a lot less time trying to craft 'the perfect list' and a lot more time trying to fly your imperfect list in a way that hides its weaknesses and exposes those of the opponents list.  It's almost like it's some kind of strategic miniatures game about positioning instead of a squadbuilding puzzle game.  That may not be to your taste, but I remind you that the name above the door isn't "X-Wing: The Squadbuilding Game".

Your description of hyperspace, to me, almost makes it sound like there is more squad diversity--in that you are more likely to get away with flying non S/A tier squads in hyperspace than extended.

Did you really mean it this way?

I have a hard time believing that there is actually more squad diversity in hyperspace, or that it won't be dominated by the same Top 5 list variants just like in extended--with flying ability being a secondary factor.

20 minutes ago, Gibbilo said:

Your description of hyperspace, to me, almost makes it sound like there is more squad diversity--in that you are more likely to get away with flying non S/A tier squads in hyperspace than extended.

Did you really mean it this way?

I have a hard time believing that there is actually more squad diversity in hyperspace, or that it won't be dominated by the same Top 5 list variants just like in extended--with flying ability being a secondary factor.

I think that's likely to be true, yes.

You can't create a fully-functioning battle station that beats all-comers because the options are more restrictive.  Instead you fly the thing where the strengths/weaknesses suit your style of play then work on how to make it work on the table, and there's a lot more of those options than there are all-conquering uber lists.

Now, I think inevitably some of that variation will be more in fine detail than broad strokes (5 A-Wings vs 4 A-Wings and a T-70 vs 3 A-Wing aces and Poe etc) as you obviously can't flip into completely new ships in your faction.  But I do think you'll have more leeway to choose the fine detail you like and be able to get good results with it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cloaker said:

If you look at the most recent ICv2 correspondence, X-Wing fell out of the Top 5. Now, this was for Spring of 2018, which as everyone knows was after the announcement of 2E and when everyone was just kinda in a holding pattern for the 2E release in the Fall. I'm not surprised that X-Wing fell off the chart.

The next report is scheduled to be out this month in Feb., so we should see what the sales impact of the 2E release looks like soon.

Edited by kris40k

3 minutes ago, kris40k said:

The next report is scheduled to be out this month, so we should see what the sales impact of the 2E release looks like soon.

I hope the sales will be normalized to months, and 1.0 and 2.0 not combined. Otherwise we would expect 2e to be out anyway.

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I hope the sales will be normalized to months, and 1.0 and 2.0 not combined. Otherwise we would expect 2e to be out anyway.

Sounds like the new report will be unreliable at best.  If they include 1.0, they'll count people who didn't convert and not be representative.  If they don't, they miss a lot of sales of people buying product to flesh out their conversion kits, and the results won't be representative. 

6 hours ago, period3 said:

I don't play competitively, and never will.   I like to be able to build whatever squad I want from all my stuff, and match it up my opponent, and have it be reasonably well balanced.  If it's fun, it's balanced enough for me. 

My concern with hyperspace is that FFG will no longer be incentivized to balance the game properly. 

I also don't play competitively, and never will.  But I would be very excited to see the Hyperspace split.

Why??

Because then FFG can stop screwing around with the entire game to create the next new and exciting meta.  They can move a few ships around, add a few new upgrades, and voila!! new meta.

Right now what happens is that the entire player base is sent to-and-fro so that a small subset of elite players can have their perfect competitive game.  Meanwhile, the casual play base suffers thru the collateral damage, erratas, points changes, etc., when all we really need to do is agree "Yeah, that's kinda broken.  We're not going to use it."

And because the devs spend so much time focused on rebalancing everything, there is no energy left for Epic, Missions, or making the game more about Star Wars.

8 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Lots of reactions to my comments I s... oh, wait, it's just Captain Confusion.

Some people was looking for mr Angry from Facebook, they didn't find it so they had to pick between sad or confused. They chose the latter.