Sign in to follow this  
Dark Don

Ewoks. Adorable children of the wood or warmongering battle bears?

We know that Ewoks will be inevitable as a release. 

Some will cheer and some will fear. What traits/cards do many of you want to see?

I was thinking:

• Booby Traps- Like a mine trap
  • Woodland Dwellers-Avoid terrain
  • War Horn- When used removes pin on units within 10 inches
  • Bow- ranged attack

All seriousness aside:

Emergency Rations: Restores Wound Card has Han Solo over a Roasting Pit

Cuddly Wuddly:  Attacking Unit must make a test before going into melee with unit

Distracted by Shiny: Unit must make a roll or stop and worship any metallic model, can do nothing else.  

e rations solo.JPG

Personally, if it’s only a set of releases every 2 months per faction, I’d hope they wouldn’t come out with these. And if they do, hopefully it’ll be far down the line. There’s many things I’d rather see first before furry teddy bears with spears LOL

I personally hope they release the Ewoks soon.

The anticipation is almost too much to bear--I am really in the Ewok spear-it. I keep casting furtive glaces at the FFG home page, hoping for a short little announcement.  When they do hit the shelves, every man would have to decide for himself: Could 'e-wok away from such cuddly greatness, or would he be forced to purchase them upon seeing the silent en-tree-ties of their soulful eyes?

I will stop the puns now so the suffering will End..or will it?

Okay, I will really stop now, I promise. I'm not sure if I am proud or em-bear-assed of what I have done here...

19 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

We hope they will release Ewoks. They never did for Imperial Assault, where they would have fit. We got Lothcats there instead.

We'll need Ewok gliders and an Ewok catapult, of course.

I still want C3P0 in his wooden chair as a commander alongside Ewoks, and have him buff all ewoks in his command range.

15 hours ago, Jedhead said:

The anticipation is almost too much to bear--I am really in the Ewok spear-it. I keep casting furtive glaces at the FFG home page, hoping for a short little announcement.  When they do hit the shelves, every man would have to decide for himself: Could 'e-wok away from such cuddly greatness, or would he be forced to purchase them upon seeing the silent en-tree-ties of their soulful eyes?

Okay, I will really stop now, I promise. I'm not sure if I am proud or em-bear-assed of what I have done here...

Stop. I can't bear any more!

On 12/25/2018 at 7:12 AM, Dark Don said:

We do not not know.

We assume they will because it's a tabletop wargame and there's been a lot of battle of Endor-styled figures released. But ewoks aren't inevitable. Every SW minis game to date has had some glaring omissions, with the possible exception of D20 which made about 500 hundred different figures, I forget the exact number. Though in D20 the quality of the figures varied wildly from very good to awful. It also had some scale issues.

In D20 an all ewok army was more possible than ever before or since. You had a handful of Common and Uncommon ewok soldiery, plus a few Uniques like Wickett and Logray, and yes, even C-3P0 in a wooden chair. I don't recall that we ever got catapult for them but gliders were released. Plus a full range of Endor-styled rebels to ally them with.

I doubt we'll see anything that extensive in Legion. I'm just hoping for a commander and a squad.

D6, for it's part, had only two metal ewoks but that was reasonable for the circumstances. The glaring omissions in D6 were, in my opinion, creatures and Bespin figures. An ugnaught and a Bespin guard would have been fun to have. For creatures, the Rancor was all we had for a long time: a bantha and tauntaun completed the creature line later on. Dewbacks, wampas, and the other assorted critters in the army lists would've been fun to have. Single-poses also were a problem in D6. One snowtrooper, one Hoth rebel, etc. With two or three poses you could squeak by making your armies, one pose got real tough.

Imperial Assault had it's own omissions: no ewoks, and while it had many creatures in total, it lacked tauntauns. The most glaring ommission for IA though in my opinion is the shortage of Imperial not-stormtroopers.

Edited by TauntaunScout

21 hours ago, Jedhead said:

omhvuqvuiu811.jpg

I do not want to see Ewoks. 

If we do see Ewoks, I’m working to imagine how they’d function, mechanically. They’d have to be special forces, I think (corps units would be odd at best).

Obviously they won’t have a great ranged attack.  Stormtrooper blaster rifles are 1 white, so Ewok bows would need to be something like that, at best. Maybe 2 white at range 1-2, without surges. Maybe you can justify a decent melee attack—one black?—because even though they’re using spears and rocks, they seem to come out okay. 

And they’re armored more like Wookiees than like Rebel regulars, so we’re talking  white dice with no surge. Maybe—maybe—2 hp per mini.

If you do all the math, that’s looking a lot like a naked stormtrooper unit. Give them Low Profile and Unhindered to reflect their size and familiarity with navigating terrain. Both will help them get close enough to use something like a Range 2 weapon.  

And we have precedent for special forces costing as little as 44 points, so maybe that’s their niche: cheap padding for your activation count, a unit that wants to get close and go for Z6-style variance play?

Edited by Vorpal Sword
Forgot a word.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:12 AM, Dark Don said:

Citation needed. 

We also "knew" (from an interview with Alex Davy no less iirc) that there would be no generic Commanders in Legion, that named characters were the heart of the game. And yet, that's the next release. 

The only "inevitable" releases at this point in my opinion are some amount of Clone Wars miniatures at some point this year. 

Honestly I don't care one way or another, especially since I already have a "pull list" set up at my FLGS for one of every Legion miniature box. I don't really super care about the meta, I'm not in it to win, just field cool and interesting units and occasionally catch my opponent off guard by doing something weird. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

We also "knew" (from an interview with Alex Davy no less iirc) that there would be no generic Commanders in Legion, that named characters were the heart of the game. And yet, that's the next release.

That whole thing made me kind of curious to know what else he worked on. Because in a miniature wargame, generic commanders would have inevitably been in demand. The lack thereof is what really ultimately kept me from finishing any Warmachine/Hordes armies. Named characters might be the heart of a good movie, but they're not the heart of good wargames.

Edited by TauntaunScout

36 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

The only "inevitable" releases at this point in my opinion are some amount of Clone Wars miniatures at some point this year.

Good use of quotes because nothing with SW: Legion by this time next year is inevitable. FFG could be destroyed in a hostile takeover so that some unscrupulous dealers can offload unserviceable amounts of debt onto it. Something could happen with the licensing agreement for Star Wars. And, despite the size and profitability of FFG, a board of directors or a design team can still be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs.

40 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

And, despite the size and profitability of FFG, a board of directors or a design team can still be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs.

Yes, a constant danger these days.

Funny. Was reading through the comments and it does seem to be a slippery slope of what will be around and what wont. I mean unless your punching out "Blue  Beakies from Space" one never knows where their favorite hobby will be in a year. Truthfully.  

34 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

That seems like anti-Endor propaganda. I think the ewoks were going through a religious ceremony wherein outsiders are tied up and threatened with being eaten then are symbolically freed.

Nah, they definitely eat people.  And use nerve agents on their arrows.  They're terrifying.  Anyone that disagrees is spreading Rebel propaganda.