Jump to content
Jderek27

Repetitive Villains?

Recommended Posts

I have played through freedom fighter 3 times now. For the second and third play throughs I added twin shadows and jabba to my collection. The only villains that came up in the randomizer were Jabba and Terro. Has anyone else had this issue? I was hoping for a lot more variety after added them... not less. 

Edited by Jderek27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Jderek27 said:

I have played through freedom fighter 3 times now. For the second and third play throughs I added twin shadows and jabba to my collection. The only villains that came up in the randomizer were Jabba and Terro. Has anyone else had this issue? I was hoping for a lot more variety after added them... not less. 

I've played with everything in from the beginning, and in three playthroughs of FotFF I've yet to see Jabba or Terro (but have seen Sorin in all three and 0-0-0 in two of them).  You may just have had some bad luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Randomizers, as far as I can tell, tend to not be fully "random".  They seem like there are some sort of series of algorithms they draw from, including:

 

-Price

-faction

-traits

 

For instance, sometimes a randomizer will only cycle between Nexu and Loth Cats for me.   Other times, it'll cycle between probe droids, death troopers, jawas, and ugnaughts- all units that cost 2-3 threat.

 

In this case, Jabba and Terro seem like sort of Middle of the road villains.  If all you have are Core/JR/TS, the only villains you'd have available are:

 

Vader- 18 threat

Royal Guard Champion- 15 threat

General Weiss- 16 threat

IG-88- 12 threat

Boba Fett- 13 threat

Kayn Somos- 10 threat

Terro- 7 threat

Jabba- 6 threat

 

It definitely seems like even if other categories are considered, threat price is generally almost always considered, which makes sense since that would potentially have the biggest effect on balance. 

 

Considering how Jabba and Terro are pretty much the only villains that could fit into a hypothetically low price point (less than 10 threat) then I guess that's why you're seeing them so much.  Probably because TS and Core come from early in the game when villains tended to be a lot more expensive, so it's looking like the JR ones are favored.  If you want more variety, I might suggest some other cheap villains from blister packs- BT1 and Triple Zero or the Grand Inquisitor.  Otherwise, Heart of the Empire/Tyrants of Lothal/Bespin Gambit have villains that fit better into that lower cost range.  Hoth does, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Randomizers, as far as I can tell, tend to not be fully "random".  They seem like there are some sort of series of algorithms they draw from, including:

 

-Price

-faction

-traits

 

For instance, sometimes a randomizer will only cycle between Nexu and Loth Cats for me.   Other times, it'll cycle between probe droids, death troopers, jawas, and ugnaughts- all units that cost 2-3 threat.

 

In this case, Jabba and Terro seem like sort of Middle of the road villains.  If all you have are Core/JR/TS, the only villains you'd have available are:

 

Vader- 18 threat

Royal Guard Champion- 15 threat

General Weiss- 16 threat

IG-88- 12 threat

Boba Fett- 13 threat

Kayn Somos- 10 threat

Terro- 7 threat

Jabba- 6 threat

 

It definitely seems like even if other categories are considered, threat price is generally almost always considered, which makes sense since that would potentially have the biggest effect on balance. 

 

Considering how Jabba and Terro are pretty much the only villains that could fit into a hypothetically low price point (less than 10 threat) then I guess that's why you're seeing them so much.  Probably because TS and Core come from early in the game when villains tended to be a lot more expensive, so it's looking like the JR ones are favored.  If you want more variety, I might suggest some other cheap villains from blister packs- BT1 and Triple Zero or the Grand Inquisitor.  Otherwise, Heart of the Empire/Tyrants of Lothal/Bespin Gambit have villains that fit better into that lower cost range.  Hoth does, too.

Wow! Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t even considered the cost.

I played around with adding other similar cost villain packs and triple zero popped after all. Cost definitely plays a role in selection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit late to the party, but I think it also only brings villains if you have actually listed the Villain pack as in your collection. Not if you just list the big box that has a token version of it available. Does that seem correct?

Cheers,
Chris

Edited by chrisdk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chrisdk said:

Bit late to the party, but I think it also only brings villains if you have actually listed the Villain pack as in your collection. Not if you just list the big box that has a token version of it available. Does that seem correct?

Cheers,
Chris

No, that’s incorrect.  As long as a product with the deployment card is in your collection it can end up in you campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about removing the villain from your collection? I know some of them aren’t exactly possible to remove. 
 

I had Jabba show up early in a campaign and it really took the “immersion” out of the campaign. Didn’t think it made sense to have him pop up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 4:55 AM, Funky_4LOM said:

What about removing the villain from your collection? I know some of them aren’t exactly possible to remove. 
 

I had Jabba show up early in a campaign and it really took the “immersion” out of the campaign. Didn’t think it made sense to have him pop up. 

Unfortunately you'd have to remove the entire Jabbas Realm expansion to preclude Jabba from showing up, which removes a lot of heroes and gear as well. It's one of my main pet peeves with the app that you can't toggle specific villains on and off. I am one of the ones that always gets Jabba or Palpatine showing up in a random battle and it does kill the immersion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...