Boba Rick

Seperatists: What Will I need to Build a Squad?

So I wonder if the Servant of Strife pack and one additional Vulture will be enough to build a squad?  I wonder if I'll need two Vultures?  I'm not really interested in the big ship.  

I'm trying to make decisions for a pre-order.  

Upgrade cards in the CIS big ship - do you think those will be available in the SoS pack or will they only be in the big ship?  That might be the thing that makes me buy the big ship.

Thoughts?

I’m getting one of each pack; Servant of Strife, Vulture Droid Expansion, and 1 Sith Inflitrator Expansion. It’ll give me 3 Vulture Droids, 1 Sith Inflitrator and 1 Belbullab-22 Starfighter. That is a pretty good start Grievous, Dooku, Maul, and 3 Droids.

(of course I’m also getting all the New Republic packs 2 of the Delta 7 so I can run Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Mace or Ashoka together then 2 V-19 and the ARC-170)

My guess is that the squad pack + vulture will kind of be like having a TIE Advanced (without Vader) and three TIE fighters. It'll be enough that you can build a squad with the elites, but it probably won't be the most efficient or effective squad you can field, especially considering the general 2.0 trend of More Ships > More Upgrades. The Vulture ship identity seems that it will very much favor swarming, so 4-5 would probably play to their strengths a lot more than loading them with upgrades. But that only matters if you're looking to Maximize your Build; even with just three you will probably have several fun options to work with, and lots of room for customization with different loadouts.

6 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

I'm thinking about doing that too, but like I said the Infiltrator looks boring.  I think I'd rather have more vultures - so long as I'm not missing out on upgrade cards.

The Sith Inflitrator pack has the new Sith Probe Droid and the corresponding reduced agility tokens, at a minimum. (Plus the Count Dooku Force Crew card)

10 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

The Sith Inflitrator pack has the new Sith Probe Droid and the corresponding reduced agility tokens, at a minimum. (Plus the Count Dooku Force Crew card)

The other Separatist ships might not be able to use those though. It's a given for Dooku crew, no idea on the Probe droid, so, at least for now the Infiltrator might not be worth it just for the cards. 

4 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

.....aaaaaaaaaaaaand that's how they get you.

It's also a large base cloaking ship with a bunch of Force pilots. If I were getting into the Separatists, it'd be my first buy.

But I can understand your opinion. I fly a lot of Resistance, but I won't be getting a Resistance Bomber anytime soon, even though it's a really powerful ship that can do some cool stuff. It just doesn't interest me, at least not right now.

11 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

I would love if I didn't need the infiltrator, but when picking a faction you will always be underpowered if you dont have the options of all it has to offer.

7 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

The other Separatist ships might not be able to use those though. It's a given for Dooku crew, no idea on the Probe droid, so, at least for now the Infiltrator might not be worth it just for the cards. 

Understandable. But it as Darth Maul. I just looked again, it also has a copy of Brilliant Evasion included. My guess is their will be some type of dark side exclusive cards in there.

swz30_spread.png

Edited by Cgriffith

2 minutes ago, Maui. said:

It's also a large base cloaking ship with a bunch of Force pilots. If I were getting into the Separatists, it'd be my first buy.

But I can understand your opinion. I fly a lot of Resistance, but I won't be getting a Resistance Bomber anytime soon, even though it's a really powerful ship that can do some cool stuff. It just doesn't interest me, at least not right now.

Yeah, I typically don't really get into big ships much.  I have a bunch of them, but I'd rather fly 3 or 4 ships.

I will say this though, the Batwing for 2.0 has me really excited.  I built a squad with a generic Batwing, QD with Swarm Tactics, Muse to pull the stress off the Batwing, and Scorch for an extra 3 die attack.  Looks real fun and I get 4 ships!

25 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

Maybe not a big deal for now? I mean, it'll be the only ship in the faction that can even use a crew card anyway. 

I'd probably go with at least one extra vulture and skip the Infiltrator unless you really want the big-cloaking thing. 

Edited by Bucknife

8 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

I'm a plan ahead kind of guy, so I'm having to resist the urge to pre-order because when things get spoiled I'll be able to really decide if the Infiltrator is worth it or not.

Since you're really not feeling the Infiltrator, it'd probably be best to wait on the points and slots info to be released for the Wave 3 ships before you decide to purchase one. A Squadron pack (for the ships, new tokens and the new obstacles), maybe 2, and a couple of Vulture Droids if you only pick up a single Squadron pack should be good to get you started in faction. Not going to make any claim viability wise since we need more info before that can really be assessed with any accuracy. They are looking like allot of fun though. :)

5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Since you're really not feeling the Infiltrator, it'd probably be best to wait on the points and slots info to be released for the Wave 3 ships before you decide to purchase one. A Squadron pack (for the ships, new tokens and the new obstacles), maybe 2, and a couple of Vulture Droids if you only pick up a single Squadron pack should be good to get you started in faction. Not going to make any claim viability wise since we need more info before that can really be assessed with any accuracy. They are looking like allot of fun though. :)

Yeah, I wonder if there will be anything special in the stand-alone Vulture pack (I don't care about the paintjob)?  If not, I might just buy two of the SoS pack!

48 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

Yeah, I wonder if there will be anything special in the stand-alone Vulture pack (I don't care about the paintjob)?  If not, I might just buy two of the SoS pack!

Looking at the card spreads in the announcement, there look to be several things in the stand-alone pack that aren't shown in the SoS pack. Biggest one I see so far is the Buzz droid token.

6 minutes ago, Nspace said:

Looking at the card spreads in the announcement, there look to be several things in the stand-alone pack that aren't shown in the SoS pack. Biggest one I see so far is the Buzz droid token.

More than half the cards in the Squadron pack are face down in the stack though, so we really don't know.

True. That's one reason why I didn't mention Grappling Struts, which is shown in the Vulture pack but could be one of the cards still hidden in the SoS pack. I suppose that could also apply to the buzz droid token. Nothing for it except to wait and see. :)

So one of each Separatist expansion will get you

• 3 Vulture Droids
  • 1 Sith Infiltrator
  • 22 watt bulb (or whatever that thing is called).

Now that should be enough to get squadron going, but the question is on it being good or not. If you got the Most Wanted Expansion back in 1st ed wave 6 along with the other expansions that MW had components for (Y-wing, HWK-290, Firespray). You had 6 ships across 4 different models. However the top meta builds was 2 aggressors and the autothrusters from a Star Viper expansion. 

So it depends on what type of list you want to build. Lets say a Vulture Swarm (7-8 vultures). The logical choice will be, Vulture squadron packs. But there is a pack that contains 2 of them for twice the price. Now 2 for twice the price is not really a deal but lets say they have some upgrades you will want. So at first you will get 1 Vulture and 1 SoS expansion pack. That will give you 3 vultures so you will need 4-5 more vultures.

Now if we are talking about economic value getting 2 vulture packs is cheaper than the SoS pack by $0.05(not including tax). But the SoS does give you another ship (depending if you want it or not). So there is some benefit in getting the SoS as it is the only way to get that 22-watt-bulb. The question is do you want another one or not.

So a vulture swarm is going to cost you around $140-$160 dollars no matter what you pick. If you are going for just 7 vultures then 1 SoS pack and 5 Vultures will be the best. If you want 3 22-bulbs and 7 vultures then 3 SoS and a vulture is your best bet. If you want a fairly even spread 4 vultures and 2 SoS will give you the 8 Vultures you require.

But that is just the Vulture swarm, we don't know what the separatists will bring that will be good (if any). 

Edited by Marinealver

19 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

So I wonder if the Servant of Strife pack and one additional Vulture will be enough to build a squad?  I wonder if I'll need two Vultures?  I'm not really interested in the big ship.  

I'm trying to make decisions for a pre-order.  

Upgrade cards in the CIS big ship - do you think those will be available in the SoS pack or will they only be in the big ship?  That might be the thing that makes me buy the big ship.

Thoughts?

For a full outfit you will probably need 3 servant packs plus 2 vulture packs and 2 Infiltrators. That will get you 200 point buy for any combination you will need. However, one of each is a good start. Once you get a feel for how they fly and what upgrades each comes with then you can make more of an informed choice on filling out the faction. I would pick the servant pack vs the single as the price point is better on the number of ships you will get.  

This is why I’m leery of Seppies.... got to buy a ton of expansions to get the ship count needed for the squads you want to fly. 

My guess is split the difference and have 2x vulture blisters and 2x squad packs if the infiltrator doesn’t appeal to you.

20 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

Understandable. But it as Darth Maul. I just looked again, it also has a copy of Brilliant Evasion included. My guess is their will be some type of dark side exclusive cards in there.

I’m pretty sure Hate was first spoiled in the spread for the Infiltrator, actually.

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I’m pretty sure Hate was first spoiled in the spread for the Infiltrator, actually.

I'll make a bet there will be a card we've not seen in it that will be exclusive to the pack.

The pack already includes: Hate, Brillant Invasion and the Dooku (crew) card which isn't in any other so far. So that's one, I'll bet there's another as well.