Sign in to follow this  
splad

Like Torg's new Kickstarter why isn't FFG exploring this for more expansive supplement ideas.

Torg Eternity RPG has done a sterling job of expanding their source material and offering what many in house funded rpg would not, unlocking novels, counters, maps and celebrity authors etc. I personally think FFG could benefit with more fantastic elements and propose this on KS as a test to see if they have an audience for it. It would also serve as a wider platform on which to promote such products. Just my 2 cents.

58 minutes ago, ThreeBFour said:

Looks interesting in and of itself. Kinda like Mutants & Materminds/DC Heroes reskinned.

It's really nothing like that at all. There's a much stronger narrative element to TORG Eternity. 

Well, FFG is beholden to Lucasfilm, who own the rights to the Star Wars property, so they can't just simply "do as they will" or say "hey, this is an oddball idea, let's run a crowdfunding campaign to see if folks will buy into it!"

As with any licensed property, they've more likely than not got to pitch the idea to their contacts at Lucasfilm, get the idea reviewed for approval, and then make sure that whatever it is they're proposing is going to make enough of a return on the investment to warrant the costs involved in doing it.  From what can be gleaned, Lucasfilm seems to be pretty easy-going, but it may just be that some ideas are too outlandish even for them to consider.

21 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Well, FFG is beholden to Lucasfilm, who own the rights to the Star Wars property, so they can't just simply "do as they will" or say "hey, this is an oddball idea, let's run a crowdfunding campaign to see if folks will buy into it!"

As with any licensed property, they've more likely than not got to pitch the idea to their contacts at Lucasfilm, get the idea reviewed for approval, and then make sure that whatever it is they're proposing is going to make enough of a return on the investment to warrant the costs involved in doing it.  From what can be gleaned, Lucasfilm seems to be pretty easy-going, but it may just be that some ideas are too outlandish even for them to consider.

That's an interesting point that they are beholden to the mouse's whims

1 hour ago, splad said:

If by "whims" you mean keeping control over an IP they laid out $4 billion in cash and stock for, yes.  4$ billion is some pretty F-ing serious "whims" credentials in my eyes, maybe not others.....

11 hours ago, 2P51 said:

If by "whims" you mean keeping control over an IP they laid out $4 billion in cash and stock for, yes.  4$ billion is some pretty F-ing serious "whims" credentials in my eyes, maybe not others.....

A jovial turn on the position of FFG is in and people get all dark, beginning to think is not only FFG they have control over for people to get all dark over it lol

11 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

A concept so very different than any licensed property. But, with Disney involved, we must, of course, frame it in the most sinister light possible. 🙄

It was a 'whimsical' turn of phase. Some people should lighten up lol

8 minutes ago, splad said:

It was a 'whimsical' turn of phase. Some people should lighten up lol

My mistake. You’re absolutely right.

IP licensees should be able to do whatever they like, while IP owners should retain no control. 🙄

Edited by Nytwyng

15 minutes ago, splad said:

A jovial turn on the position of FFG is in and people get all dark, beginning to think is not only FFG they have control over for people to get all dark over it lol

Probably because there's a number of overly vocal people, both on these forums and in the Star Wars fandom in general, who use "whims of the mouse" in a very non-whimsical way in indicate their dissatisfaction that Star Wars as a franchise isn't going the way they want it to go.

To be frank, since your post was just a line of text, it's very easy to interpret as it being just another one of those non-whimsical attacks on Disney just for the sake of attacking Disney because the poster has some wild hair up their exhaust port about some imagined slight that Disney is allegedly responsible for.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:52 PM, splad said:

Nothing sinister at work. That's the reality of licensing: Company A has an intellectual property and Companies B through Z pay money and/or share profits on merchandise they make using elements of the IP.

The more valuable properties have many retail applications, so licensing rights are often separately and strictly divided between product categories. 

Edit: Because this is generally a cool topic, here's a primer.

Edited by wilsch

46 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Probably because there's a number of overly vocal people, both on these forums and in the Star Wars fandom in general, who use "whims of the mouse" in a very non-whimsical way in indicate their dissatisfaction that Star Wars as a franchise isn't going the way they want it to go.

To be frank, since your post was just a line of text, it's very easy to interpret as it being just another one of those non-whimsical attacks on Disney just for the sake of attacking Disney because the poster has some wild hair up their exhaust port about some imagined slight that Disney is allegedly responsible for.

Lol nicely put haha.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

My mistake. You’re absolutely right.

IP licensees should be able to do whatever they like, while IP owners should retain no control. 🙄

A contact is a contract. The fine print is something we are not privy to. Their are other Ip properties that were done with kick starter or their equivalent, the expanse, star trek, judge Dredd. Of course this may bear no resemblance to the contract that ffg has with the house of mouse especially as had been noted that star wars is such an expensive ip. I just see such ambitious and fun things coming out of kick starter for tabletop rpg I thought maybe just maybe ffg had a chance to take on something ambitious.

Anyways another fun one Torg the Nile empire wraps in 5 hours. They made it a pleasure to engage the product in this fashion. Live chats, live q and a, just nice to get some personality behind it all.

Edited by splad

13 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

If this idea could bring about a New Jedi Order supplement, I’d be all for it.

Do you think they would delve into legends rather than Canon?

I don't know; they let Marvel produce all kinds of collections with the 'Legends' label all over it. Seems like it would be easier (not needing as much approval, etc) if they were allowed to use that same tag. But, it would take take some kickstarter-esque campaign to make something like that feasible, IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Demon4x4 said:

I don't know; they let Marvel produce all kinds of collections with the 'Legends' label all over it. Seems like it would be easier (not needing as much approval, etc) if they were allowed to use that same tag. But, it would take take some kickstarter-esque campaign to make something like that feasible, IMO. 

That is also true and their is a thriving expanded universe product line. Revan figures etc

1 hour ago, Demon4x4 said:

1 hour ago, splad said:

That is also true and their is a thriving expanded universe product line. Revan figures etc

Ummmmm, Disney owns Marvel.........😐

51 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Ummmmm, Disney owns Marvel.........😐

I think you missed the point being that the expanded universe was in play rather than that marvel is also owned by Disney. Well that was my point at least

Legends has always been in play for them, they said so when they made the whole canon/reset/legends decision. That's my point, it's hardly a state secret or brilliant observation that an IP holder would use their own IP.