Da_Brown_Bomber

whats ur strategy vs quadjumpers?

i recently found out the hard way how good jakku gunrunners are. two of my ships flew off the board thanks to repositioning from tractor tokens. was a humbling experience and i knew immediately my strategy to avoid the centre of the board and any obstacles was rather flawed!

what is ur plan versus quadjumpers?

i feel that obstacle placement by you is an imp factor. I would try and place my obstacles nearest my end of the map to start with.

any other strategy tips? Lets assume you are facing a list that has Boba+Palob+ 2x Jakku Gunrunners and they are approaching you with 2 gunrunners up front of their formation with Palob tucked in behind and either Boba hovering on ur flank or just behind Palob just beyond range 3.

Fought 3 Quads, a Firespray,  and Escape Craft L337 in a tournament final. My plan was to kill off the support ship (ecape craft, or Palob in your example), then focus down the quads while potshotting the Firespray when I could. I was lucky in that the obstacle placement gave me a good quarter of the board to play in without rocks (he used tobias to move a rock from that quarter in an attempt to interfere with where he thought my ships were going).

In your example, I'd try to kill of Palob and then Boba. By themselves, the quads aren't going to kill you, even with rocks, but the combination of tractors and Palob will wipe out aces, and Boba is nasty enough by himself that you need to focus on him with your whole list to get him down.

Depends on the rest of the list. If there are soft targets like Palob, I'd avoid the Quads and kill those. If not, kill the Quads. How to do that largely depends on your list, of course. Seismic largely renders them irrelevant, and protorps severely hurt them. If you have neither, running, say Whisper/Soontir/Rexler, you have an uphill battle. Maybe split your list and hit them from both flanks, at long ranges?

Personally I've never had much trouble with them, but then I tend to run four ship lists with relatively fast ships, and no expensive aces that absolutely need to knife fight to be effective. Lambdas don't care much, Bombers hit them at range, Punishers do that and remove all the rocks, and v1s and Starwings are fast enough to just keep out of range.

9 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

Shooting them seems to work pretty well

underestimate them at ur peril. 5 hull. 2 attack dice. probably 3 dice as they r hitting u at close range often.

ull lose actions and end up riding obstacles if ur plan is to roll up and shoot. tractor tokens are powerful. Gunrunners can move b4 you can reposition to a safe spot and tractor tokens reduce ur agility. Thats game altering. med base ships get tractored if u get caught in one tugs bullsye arc. 

oh yeah, if ur shooting them then ur not shooting the real threats in the list and leaving urself exposed :)

Dont be range 1

Dont be near rocks

Dont forget they have sloops

Dont forget they can reverse 

Dont be just far enough away that next turn they have room to do quadjumper things.

Stress them

Stay out of arc

Against Boba decide if your gonna destroy Boba or Not Boba first. If your gonna go after Boba make sure you know if you can do it quick. If your gonna go after Not Boba first decide if your goal is to half points Boba and what you need to survive long enough to run to time. Dont let Boba bait you, turn away from combat, and then set Not Boba up for uncontested shots or Jumper things.

Edited by Boom Owl

Keep in mind they dont have shields so crits can be annoying for quads.

they are slow so if your opponent places their quads on one side of the board, you can buy yourself a turn or two by setting up on the other side of the board.

All of the quadjumper reverse manuvers are stressful as is their turnaround, so if you can blast past them they will waste a turn turning around and getting stressed.

Seriously tho crit them.

I say this as a Scum player, although it might not hold true with a swarm of quads(I only own 2) it does seem to work for a friend of mine I play against regularly.

7 minutes ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Keep in mind they dont have shields so crits can be annoying for quads.

they are slow so if your opponent places their quads on one side of the board, you can buy yourself a turn or two by setting up on the other side of the board.

All of the quadjumper reverse manuvers are stressful as is their turnaround, so if you can blast past them they will waste a turn turning around and getting stressed.

Seriously tho crit them.

I say this as a Scum player, although it might not hold true with a swarm of quads(I only own 2) it does seem to work for a friend of mine I play against regularly.

yep, getn in bhind them seems like a good plan. if there r two of them focus fire on one early on b4 they regroup in formation.

3 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

yep, getn in bhind them seems like a good plan. if there r two of them focus fire on one early on b4 they regroup in formation.

Just be careful, they do have a white 1hard, make sure you are actually past them so they need to turn around.

7 hours ago, Okapi said:

If you have neither, running, say Whisper/Soontir/Rexler, you have an uphill battle. Maybe split your list and hit them from both flanks, at long ranges?

So o played a small tournament where I came in second flying exactly this list. Every single list, and I mean every one, I faced that day had quads. All but one had multiple. All but one list had Palob. 

Heres what I did, and keep in mind that it was a tough battle all day. My victories tended to be low scoring affairs. My first match was something like 56-27 in my favor. I won one match by one point. So, yeah, not dominance.

But here is what I tried to set up. The turn before engagement be just outside range three. If you can do that, with those ships, that’s the magic number. Half a base length is all you need, it is now mathematically impossible for them to get into tractor range. Next turn, ride hard into their grill. Use rocks if you can or pull a pincer maneuver if possible. But do a minimum speed three, bumping is even ok. Rexler is ideal here, but Soontir can play the role. Both from different angles getting to range one (if multiple tugs) if needed. The idea is to fast move, and boost as needed to block all positions where they could tractor. Speed one bumps reverse gives stress, faster moves go past you. But you want to try and block them for next turn.

If successful, you have now put the tugs out of the battle for a bit. They may s-loop, and if you suspect that then GO FAST. Get out of dodge. But what you want to do is take a drive by shot at the tugs, block their tractor after first engage, then zoom off behind them to get at Palob or Zuckuss or whatever.

It ain’t easy. And if you screw up and wind up at the edge of range three? Tough luck. Though, if you can, try and make the engagement angle 45 degrees, so that they can’t 4 straight to tractor. Being at range 3, but at an angle is nearly as good as being just outside of range 3.

Or just plan accordingly, and assume you will get tractored and position yourself and dial maneuvers assuming the worst possible placement. If you know you can’t get out of it, just lean into it and just suck it up and run and reset, if possible.

3 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Oof, I keep forgetting about Pattern Analyser on them, now, too. You’re not even safe bumping, because they can just do a reverse maneuver and tractor tour anyways 😭

True, but in practice I haven’t seen this yet. Mainly because it assumes that putting more points into a very efficient ship that moves first is a good plan, on the off chance you’d get bumped.

Yeah, it may be an issue, but given how much difficulty many people have with tugs I don’t see it becoming a major thing. Not yet.