Wazat

Tavson + Gonk

Someone on the forums was asking about viable ways to make the Gonk crew work, figuring enough action efficiency could be good for it.  I immediately thought of Lieutenant Tavson, maybe even with the occasional reinforce action.

Is this at all viable?  How would you build your fleet around it?

The main problem to me is, you want your Upsilon to die first; it can never be your last ship on the table or it's doomed, lacking a rear arc, boost, etc to be able to put any ships in arc.  Everything outmaneuvers it far too easily.  Investing in making it yet more durable, instead of an early target, may be a bad idea...

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Bucknife said:

What about three bat's with gonk? Now, they're all end-game ships. 

Gonk+Tavson builds off of his pilot ability (perform an action when he takes damage, so either shield or hull) to charge the droid for "free". Works with Electronic Baffle in the end phase as well. So Gonk+Ups that isn't Tavson isn't as effective.

It's an interesting combo, but I think with Tavson you want to make your opponent shoot at him as often as possible. Like thespaceinvader says, and Upsilon is not an endgame ship, and the best use you can get out of Tavson is to coordinate every turn, jam when you can, and hit them with a fully modded four dice shot whenever you get the chance.  The more they shoot at him, the more efficient (and thus more dangerous) he becomes.

Adding Gonk to the mix adds another incentive not to shoot at him, as he'll just regenerate. I think he's best flown relatively naked (occasionally ferrying Hux or Phasma; Hux + Baffle is a combo I've been considering trying out), but I'd pair him with other anti-biggses like Quickdraw, or fast dodgers like Silencers or budget aces FOs. You want to make him your most tempting target, not the least.

I've been thinking the Upsilon needs Phasma to make jousting behind it more challenging.

I really like Hux + Baffle... there's so much goodness there, since if you focus or coordinate a focus after Baffling, the token lasts through next round.  Or you could potentially stop every round if you absolutely had to.  And you're making really good use of your ship that needs to be effective in the early game.  It's a lot like Saw on Wullff; it gives you more control over your ship's behavior, power, and lifespan.

I like that a lot more than Gonk.  You've all confirmed my fears that Gonk isn't right for the ship because it needs to draw fire not discourage it.

Thanks, everyone!

I think Railgun is Electronic Baffle, Gonk, probably Pattern Analyzer, and I guess whatever upgrades you want. You can just stop in place over and over again and shoot 4 dice

But yeah, Tavson with reinforce and gonk is pretty darn tanky. But good discussion points about wanting him to be shot at