Sign in to follow this  
Skeether

Juking Effectively

TIE/D Defender - •Colonel Vessery - 92

•Colonel Vessery - Contemplative Commander (88)

Juke (4)

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Echo” - 57

•“Echo” - Slippery Trickster (50)

Juke (4)

Fire-Control System (3)

TIE/ag Aggressor - •Lieutenant Kestal - 50

•Lieutenant Kestal - Innate Deadeye (36)

Trick Shot (1)

Ion Cannon Turret (6)

Hotshot Gunner (7)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder 

Since Juke seems to only be worth it on ships that come about evade tokens for free, I figured I'd give it a try on a couple ships that make sense to have it - Echo and Vessery.

Echo can set up the locks for Vess and use FCS for rerolls and Juke active from decloaking. Vess gets fully modded shots plus Juke from Full Throttle.

I like the idea of Kestal being a support to these two by providing an ion platform that also can negate the target from using their focus while also removing it with Hotshot when the attack is complete. Not entirely sold on this ship yet but it seems decent enough for the points, even if as a distraction as the other two should do most of the heavy lifting. 

Cons:

-Suffers from PS 4 but may be able to set up blocks or ions to control.

-Once Kestal is gone no sure way to strip tokens before a Juke ship fires.

-Kestal doesn't get mods if he wants to use his ability

Thoughts? Has anyone played Vess in 2.0 yet? I feel like he can be quite a powerhouse getting double modded shots still but he doesn't have as easy of a setup as in the past with old FCS or pairing with OL.

Echo has no lock action so that part fails. But Hotshot Gunner could be dropped for Krennic on her, then she can optimise Kestal, which would help save the focus for the ability. But then Kestal won't token strip for the other 2. Also, I find the lock action on a Krennic Phantom is something you really have to be wary about using, so it's less than ideal.

All in all, the synergy you're going for here is a little fragile. All 3 are good pilots but I think they require slightly different squads to function well.

Echo is a great solo flanker/sniper/finisher, if you have enough threat to allow her the freedom to do her thing.

Vessery wants locks everywhere, so he's best as a backbone in an ordnance list, for example.

Kestal is a strange one. A strong, yet not fantastically cheap filler ship with a decent bite, if you can get the attacks set up well. Works best in 4+ ship list, maybe. Needs some extra mods from somewhere, or its just a distraction, so the rest of the list to be punchy enough not to suffer the loss.

I've used Echo, a Defender (not Vess) and a punchy filler/support tank as a 3 ship list. And Kestal, Echo with a punchy filler and support tank in a 4 ship list. You're sort of halfway between the 2.

Edited by Cuz05

23 minutes ago, ryfterek said:

So, em... Huh, funny story, you know?

Phantoms come without the Lock action. 

Pff. When did that happen. Guess I need to look at the actions better.

Yeah then I suppose either Krennic or go with a different Defender. Could take Ryad, was hoping to get Vess in somewhere though for those really solid shots. Thanks for the suggestions though. Have to play around some more.

I’m trying this list out: “NoNames Jukers”

TIE/D Defender - Onyx Squadron Ace - 89
    Onyx Squadron Ace - (78)
        Juke (4)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

TIE/ph Phantom - Sigma Squadron Ace - 55
    Sigma Squadron Ace - (46)
        Juke (4)
        Collision Detector (5)

Juke (4)
        Collision Detector (5)

9 hours ago, Ccwebb said:

I’m trying this list out: “NoNames Jukers”

TIE/D Defender - Onyx Squadron Ace - 89
    Onyx Squadron Ace - (78)
        Juke (4)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Juke (4)
        Collision Detector (5)

Juke (4)
        Collision Detector (5)

Interesting.

I've looked at a few versions of the same ship trio. Found it hard to look past Rex, Whisper and Echo with just Juke. I think the pilot abilities and I5 carry an awful lot of value. Not my preferred combo but it was difficult to match in effectiveness.

But I don't think you'll get them 3 together after the point adjustment, and I'm liking the Onyx as a budget Rex. Makes him less of a primary target at times.

Edited by Cuz05

Yeah I dig it. Just need another phantom model to rock two with a Defender. And yeah a Rex, Whisper, Echo with just Jukes sounds enticing as well. Those pilot abilities might beat out the upgrades but yeah if the points don't remain then an Onyx is a decent budget Defender for the job.

11 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Interesting.

I've looked at a few versions of the same ship trio. Found it hard to look past Rex, Whisper and Echo with just Juke. I think the pilot abilities and I5 carry an awful lot of value. Not my preferred combo but it was difficult to match in effectiveness....

Oooooo.... I’ll try that!  

TIE/D Defender - Onyx Squadron Ace - 85
    Onyx Squadron Ace - (78)
        Juke (4)
        Fire-Control System (3)

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Echo” - 62
        Juke (4)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        •Director Krennic (5)

TIE Reaper - •Major Vermeil - 53
    •Major Vermeil - Veteran of Scarif (49)
        Juke (4)

Total: 200/200

I ran this in a eight person tournament last weekend and took 2nd place.  Vermeil got optimized to hit like a truck, but I need to bump less to make Juke worthwhile on him.  Lost my final match to Boba/Scurgg/Quadjumper.  After nuking Boba down to one health, my dice couldn’t close the deal and some good Quadjumper play kept the Defender out of the game for three turns.  If you can get all guns on one target though, it’s really nasty.

On 12/25/2018 at 8:47 PM, Phelan Boots said:

TIE/D Defender - Onyx Squadron Ace - 85
    Onyx Squadron Ace - (78)
        Juke (4)
        Fire-Control System (3)

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Echo” - 62
        Juke (4)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        •Director Krennic (5)

TIE Reaper - •Major Vermeil - 53
    •Major Vermeil - Veteran of Scarif (49)
        Juke (4)

This intrigues me. Been running the same 3 pilots recently but not been fully settled on the loadout.

I like Tac Officer for the choice of coord but I'm having to tone down my use of it to increase the damage output. Juke on Vermeil seems pretty great for that.

I've tried Krennic on Echo but I wasn't comfortable with the lock+ optimised interaction. It requires a bit of work and I haven't managed to get much value out of it.

I'm aiming to try this but with the Xmas break, I haven't got any table time to see how Kallus impacts.... But it's a similar effect with a bit more independence, though it gives up more counter play, I'm assuming.

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Echo” - 59 •“Echo” - Slippery Trickster (50) Juke (4) Collision Detector (5)

TIE/D Defender - Onyx Squadron Ace - 82 Onyx Squadron Ace - (78) Juke (4)

TIE Reaper - •Major Vermeil - 59 •Major Vermeil - Veteran of Scarif (49) Juke (4) •Agent Kallus (6) Total: 200/200  

Edited by Cuz05

Revisiting this a little bit because I just love Juke so darn much. I still like the idea of Kestal to disallow token using then making the enemy burn it to set up the Jukes.

TIE/D Defender - Onyx Squadron Ace - 82

Onyx Squadron Ace - (78)

Juke (4)

TIE/ag Aggressor - •Lieutenant Kestal - 50

•Lieutenant Kestal - Innate Deadeye (36)

Trick Shot (1)

Ion Cannon Turret (6)

Hotshot Gunner (7)

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Echo” - 68

Juke (4)

•Darth Vader (14)

12 hours ago, C3gorach said:

Hm...

Major Vermeil (49)
Juke (4)
Darth Vader (14)

Sigma Squadron Ace (46)
Juke (4)

Onyx Squadron Ace (78)
Juke (4)

Total: 199

I like this. I had mixed results with the Echo, Onyx, Vermeil list I posted above, but it was almost entirely down to piloting. It's a lot of manoeuvring options to juggle, with things that can die pretty quick. Definitely can be very effective though.

I tried it with Vader and was pretty close to running it that way. I can't cope without Echo though, so I'd have to find the points for her. I think I had Intimidation or Ruthless on Vermeil, but wasn't convinced about flying him that way. Hard to keep the Phantom and Defender the way I like them with Vader in there.

Kallus wasn't worth the points to me. Looking forward to trying the 3 again when Hyperspace mania/points change hysteria settles.

I might well just do this if it still fits. Questionable.

TIE/D Defender - •Rexler Brath - 88 •Rexler Brath - Onyx Leader (84) Juke (4)

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Echo” - 59 •“Echo” - Slippery Trickster (50) Juke (4) Collision Detector (5)

TIE Reaper - •Major Vermeil - 53 •Major Vermeil - Veteran of Scarif (49) Juke (4) Total: 200/200  

Edited by Cuz05