ShoutingMan

Screed + 2xISDII + GSD

I wanted take a triple Cymoon fleet. Except I didn’t have a third ISD. So, I started fiddling with what all-ship, no squad fleet I could build. And I hadn’t yet used HIE, so decided to build a critical-critical fleet. I’ve flown once and lost the GSD without getting a shot off. And Solar Corona isn’t a good fit, I realized.

Other recommendations?

20181209 - Name: Screed + 2xISDII + GSD
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Screed
Assault: Advanced Gunnery
Defense: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation: Solar Corona

Imperial II (120)
• Admiral Screed (26)
• Heavy Ion Emplacements (9)
• Enhanced Armament (10)
= 165 Points

Imperial II (120)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Heavy Ion Emplacements (9)
• Enhanced Armament (10)
• Avenger (5)
= 148 Points

Gladiator I (56)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Engine Techs (8)
• Assault Concussion Missiles (7)
• Demolisher (10)
= 85 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 398

I’m not surprised that you lost the GSD without getting the shot. With a low activation fleet, you’re going to be very hard pressed to get good results without squadrons. You’re also going to be outmaneuvered on a pretty consistent basis. If your were to drop one of the ISDs for a pair of Gozantis and an HIE/DCap Raider, you would dramatically increase efficacy. Your single ISD could run the Strategic Advisor, ECM, HIE, QBT, and if you don’t want to do Gunnery Teams, Avenger/BTs is fine. Alternatively, just do Vader boarding team, which could remove an opposing DCO or Brunson or whatever.

14 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

I think the corona is all right with some careful play.  Enhanced Armament doesn’t have a great reason to be here.  QBTs would let you trigger HIEs at long range.  I’d steer clear of XI7s though.

I like Enhanced Armament for the extra power out the sides, simple as that. More dice, more damage. 

QBT only works against faster moving fleets. My opponent lately is running MC75, and runs slow too, so QBT would be iffy.

Solar Corona might work for me better with more practice.  

9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I’m not surprised that you lost the GSD without getting the shot. With a low activation fleet, you’re going to be very hard pressed to get good results without squadrons. You’re also going to be outmaneuvered on a pretty consistent basis. If your were to drop one of the ISDs for a pair of Gozantis and an HIE/DCap Raider, you would dramatically increase efficacy. Your single ISD could run the Strategic Advisor, ECM, HIE, QBT, and if you don’t want to do Gunnery Teams, Avenger/BTs is fine. Alternatively, just do Vader boarding team, which could remove an opposing DCO or Brunson or whatever.

I lost the GSD due to bad deployment and bad flying. I let it pincered by two MC75’s and slowed by Phylon. I have an idea for how I flew it wrong and what I could do get better use from it.

I've played with Sloane / ISD / Quasar / Goz fleets. For this fleet I’m going for the big shop, no flotilla design. I’m not interested in turning this into a single ISD + MCU / Squad fleet. 

That said, if I could get a second Arq, I’ve wanted to try an ISD with dual Arquitens. 

Just now, ShoutingMan said:

I like Enhanced Armament for the extra power out the sides, simple as that. More dice, more damage. 

QBT only works against faster moving fleets. My opponent lately is running MC75, and runs slow too, so QBT would be iffy.

Solar Corona might work for me better with more practice.  

Sounds great.  Barring Ackbar, you should win a slow rolling contest, and it’s harder for him to dodge the front arc.  QBT isn’t just great for faster targets, but for pressuring ships with inferior long-range firepower to go slowly.  If nothing else, Spinal Armament is generally better on an ISD.  It’s cheaper and easier to force a front arc than force a double arc.  But you do you.

6 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

Drop an ISD to a victory and it gets you some fighters and better upgrades.

ISD-II, GT, ECM, HIE, QBT, SADviser, Screed 178
VSD-II, GT, HIE, QBT, D-Caps 109
GSD-I, Demolisher, ACM, OE, Brunson 82
Cienna, Rudor 30

Honestly, I just don’t have fun playing the VSD anymore, circa Wave 7. It’s become an experts-only ship in my mind, with its terrible nav and high cost, compared to fighting ISDs or MC75 and MC80

On 12/23/2018 at 12:53 PM, ShoutingMan said:

I like the idea of Spinal. I just don’t have that card and haven’t gotten to printing a personal copy. :)

I was wondering why the heck you were taking enhanced armament on an ISD. Not having spinal makes more sense. I think there are better options for fewer points though like X17 or Quad battery turrets. I think either one of those options would work better than Enhanced armament

It was also because I misread HIE and thought it worked for every blue crit, so I wanted a stronger side arc to further help benefit from HIE in a double arc setup.

But HIE is an “exhaust” card and only is usable once per activation. So Spinal makes more sense to me now. 

I’ll have to look at XI7 vs Spinal or EA. I don’t have a sense of which is optimal for which fleet configurations. 

I notice you mention you do not have a third ISD, but are using 2x ISDII which only come once each in the Wave2 ISD exp. Did you buy 2 ISD? I would recommend getting the Wave 7 Chimera ISD, even if it seems like another big investment. You only really need 1 Chimera pack and it's got lotsa useful toys and goodies

If you are actually proxying, I recommend going ahead and trying out Tri Moons as you intended, with a different ship proxy(I currently sub my third with a Lmc80 model, planning to buy an actual 3rd ISD on discount). They are extremely fun to play.

Back to the actual list, is your intention to abuse Screed HIE? You might like raiders with HIE and dcaps which can snipe shields off for a fraction of the ISDII cost. They can also help you chase or box in other small ships trying to dodge your big ships, and swat squads. Another one is the Interdictor, with the title it is the only ship that can fire off HIE twice a round, and with screed is guaranteed to do so. Of course you need a damage dealer, so maybe keep one ISDII to finish off shieldless ships. Demo can also hold back a round or two and jump in to finish off the shieldless ships.

Edited by Muelmuel

I had an ISD and a Chimaera; I scanned and printed a second ISD-II ship plate for this fleet. 

I now have a second chimaera, giving me three ISD models. I’ll be playing with the triple cymoon and maybe triple ISD-I fleets. 

Had I’d anticipated ISD would drop in price to match chimaera, maybe I’d have gotten that instead. But I really don’t want a fourth ISD model, so I’ll proxy missing cards until I can buy some used, cheap.

Fleet-wise, I wanted to abuse :) HIE and Screed seemed like the admiral for the job. Raiders, I want love (and I have two), but I can’t fly them and they suffer further with the big-ship emphasis of Wave 7.  If I’m able to get enough games in, then I’ll iterate back to some mixed fleets with Raiders and Arqs.

Interdictor: now you’ve got my heart twitterpated. I don’t fly it much because it’s such a weird ship. But I want to play it more. And I like this idea for HIE abuse. Very intriguing!

1 hour ago, ShoutingMan said:

Fleet-wise, I wanted to abuse :) HIE and Screed seemed like the admiral for the job. Raiders, I want love (and I have two), but I can’t fly them and they suffer further with the big-ship emphasis of Wave 7.  If I’m able to get enough games in, then I’ll iterate back to some mixed fleets with Raiders and Arqs.

Interdictor: now you’ve got my heart twitterpated. I don’t fly it much because it’s such a weird ship. But I want to play it more. And I like this idea for HIE abuse. Very intriguing!

sorry, I should correct myself. Just realised Screed is once per activation. So he can only guarantee a blue crit once for the Interdictor. However the suppression refit has alot of blues so it is highly likely to get blue crits naturally as well, so you are still highly likely to be able to HIE twice via Interdictor title. Just something to note :)

I fought against double HIE raiders before and they are nasty. Sure can kill at least one but the dcaps allow them to roll with their bigger friends and by the time they are done they have inflicted their fair share of hurt. They will also draw fire for your other ships as they are a serious threat, so that is a boon.

21 minutes ago, MandalorianMoose said:

Can’t trigger HIE with dictor title since dictor timing is on ship activation.

another benefit of QBT is that you add two dice one a double arc

I ❤️ QBT

Unless you’re flying against MC75’s running Speed 1 so they can pour black dice into your hull. In which case I’m not sure QBT helps me. Which is the case I’m lately seeing  :)

2 minutes ago, ShoutingMan said:

Unless you’re flying against MC75’s running Speed 1 so they can pour black dice into your hull. In which case I’m not sure QBT helps me. Which is the case I’m lately seeing  :)

Are they Sato backed? Because if not, they should have taken two or three rounds of fire before throwing any blacks coming at you speed one

1 hour ago, MandalorianMoose said:

Are they Sato backed? Because if not, they should have taken two or three rounds of fire before throwing any blacks coming at you speed one

Ok, I see what you mean. I’ll give QBT a look. :)

21 minutes ago, ShoutingMan said:

Ok, I see what you mean. I’ll give QBT a look. :)

For the record, the point isn't that this situation is where QBT shines; it's that, in general terms, your opponent is doing what you want him to do already (I'd need to see the list to say that with absolute certainty, but again, general rule.)