drail14me

Is Epic 2.0 the next big announcement?

47 minutes ago, drail14me said:

(1)Epic Conversion Kit with new Ship bases and Cards and Upgrades. Also, a new Epic ship, possibly a (2) Hammerhead with Blue Squadron T-65 pilots?

(1) I'm game for that.

(2) Scum and Villainy corvette first... Then maybe a basic Gozanti (not the Imp Assault carrier or the CROC, the actual Gozanti) that isn't faction locked.

Epic brings into it a whole world of complexity that they're not near yet. They need to get this 7 faction, each their own identity thing, right. There's a lot of nip and tuck to do over the next year. If I was going to win money on it, I'd figure past the one year anniversary of second edition launch in time for the 2019 holiday season. 

But I'd rather they wait as long as needed to get it right. Epic is the next frontier if they can manage it correctly. Next Gen x-wing, with more ships and theme then what we get in 200/6. My preference is a world's event atmosphere that does justice to the word, Epic. Plus, there's money to be made if they treat it proper. We all win. 

Edited by Cloaker

While I am really really annoyed that my quite expensive Epic models are only collecting dust, I also expect FFG to not have time to do release Epic right now. Furthermore from amarketing standpoint it would be better to wait, until all 7 factions have somewhat settled...and people yearn for new stuff AND their wallets had time to swelll again ;)

In for latest?cb=20061207182914.

Then I really hope that the conversion for all Epic ships is not another single Epic ship, I might absolutely not interested in, but rather a cardboard mission campaign pack, be it attack on Scarif (blue squadrons), or some other pivotal event.

Edited by Managarmr
Fixed link.

My guess is that they will announce something about Epic 2.0 at Gencon 2019, be it that the conversion kits for it are dropping that winter or even if they just make note of it as something coming for 2020. It also might be interesting if they went and released Squadron packs for all 7 factions with the pilots and upgrades in each one geared towards Epic play, stuff like getting a bonus when being near a large or huge ship kind of thing or adding options to the factions that they want to have them to feel distinct at the Epic scale. 

8 hours ago, drail14me said:

We've had 2.0 and the introduction of the Clone Wars era announced. Will Epic 2.0 be the next announcement?

Epic Conversion Kit with new Ship bases and Cards and Upgrades. Also, a new Epic ship, possibly a Hammerhead with Blue Squadron T-65 pilots?

Yes, it will be the next BIG announcement, but there will be other small ones first.

While it could be nice I think it might be later down the road. I mean Epic did start after Wave 3 in 1st edition but back then they had only two factions (S&V didn't even exist yet). Also they were more for cinematic scenario play with the huge ships being very weak and needing fighters to defend it.

With 7 factions I think it is going to be a few more waves. Every faction should have no less than 6 ships released for 2nd edition before the huge ships come out.

23 hours ago, Crit Happens said:

I really hope not. 

It better be.

19 hours ago, Managarmr said:

While I am really really annoyed that my quite expensive Epic models are only collecting dust, I also expect FFG to not have time to do release Epic right now. Furthermore from amarketing standpoint it would be better to wait, until all 7 factions have somewhat settled...and people yearn for new stuff AND their wallets had time to swelll again ;)

I think that's going to happen sooner rather than later.  Sure, they've got factions to fill out, but my guess is that things are going to very conservatively designed, and "new" ships are going to be repeated design space from a different faction.  I expect the N-1 Naboo is gonna feel an awful lot like an A-Wing. . .

To quote @ficklegreendice from elsewhere:

Basically, factions are VERY similar to one another as is once you look past aesthetics. Only empire stands out as having cool **** thanks to ship specific abilities

Thus, if FFG doesn't do something more than faction-filling for 3 years, things are going to get pretty dang boring.

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Basically, factions are VERY similar to one another as is once you look past aesthetics. Only empire stands out as having cool **** thanks to ship specific abilities

So then why is everyone clamoring to make Quadjumpers unplayable?  They give Scum a super-unique piece.

I am fine with Epic rejoining the game AS LONG AS they don’t use it as only way to get certain non-epic pilots and upgrades.  That was freaking horrible!!!

If they are going to do that again,  I’d rather they leave epic in the grave. 

Edited by Pewpewpew BOOM

15 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I think that's going to happen sooner rather than later.  Sure, they've got factions to fill out, but my guess is that things are going to very conservatively designed, and "new" ships are going to be repeated design space from a different faction.  I expect the N-1 Naboo is gonna feel an awful lot like an A-Wing. . .

I'd imagine the Delta 7 would be more similar to the A-Wing all things considered. I do hope the N1, and more ships in the various factions will get ship abilities that help keep them distinct. 

1 hour ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

I am fine with Epic rejoining the game AS LONG AS they don’t use it as only way to get certain non-epic pilots and upgrades.  That was freaking horrible!!!

If they are going to do that again,  I’d rather they leave epic in the grave. 

What if they did the non-epic pilots in Squadron packs? The idea being that they add new pilots, perhaps ones that are better suited with working with larger ships or the like ability wise, and help bump up players' ship counts to run epic. That way we maybe might get more options for some ships but they come with alt paint schemes and don't cost the arm and a leg like they did with 1.0 when they were packaged with Epic ships. 

I'd be down with them doing a Battle of Scarif pack of the like with Blue Squadron X-Wings and an alt Gold Squadron paint job adding Tiree and Pops as pilots for the Y-Wing with the pilots from the set being focused around offering more support based pilot abilities and getting bonuses when around ships larger than them. Similarly they could make a Death Squadron set with Tie Fighters and another ship maybe offering another defensive option for Ties either by having a ability like Howlrunner's but for defense dice or an ability that lets other Ties link into a red barrel roll to better allow for getting away from Trajectory Simulator thrown bombs. 

It'd be cool if epic came back next. Honestly I'd prefer they don't include smaller ships with the epic releases again. It'll mean that less people buy epic stuff overall, but it also means people wont spend 60-100 bucks for one pilot or upgrade. I'd also like them to focus on getting two epic ships on each faction before looking at adding things like the Hammerhead. The Clone Wars era stuff should have plenty of options, though Sequel era stuff might not be doable yet, since they haven't been expanded upon in the same way as our other era's.

It'd be nice to get soon though, because then we could see the forums stop screaming about FFG killing epic. I assume epic will return eventually, whether that means getting announced a week after Wave 3, or two years down the road. I like epic, but only have a couple ships for it. I'd like to use my GR-75 again, but if it has to remain purely a display piece a bit longer I wont mind. 

14 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

It'd be nice to get soon though, because then we could Maybe see the forums stop screaming about FFG killing epic. I assume epic will return eventually, whether that means getting announced a week after Wave 3, or two years down the road. I like epic, but only have a couple ships for it. I'd like to use my GR-75 again, but if it has to remain purely a display piece a bit longer I wont mind. 

It's a forum and "killing" tends to be defined loosely and very subjectively on these.

50 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

It'd be cool if epic came back next. Honestly I'd prefer they don't include smaller ships with the epic releases again. It'll mean that less people buy epic stuff overall, but it also means people wont spend 60-100 bucks for one pilot or upgrade. I'd also like them to focus on getting two epic ships on each faction before looking at adding things like the Hammerhead. The Clone Wars era stuff should have plenty of options, though Sequel era stuff might not be doable yet, since they haven't been expanded upon in the same way as our other era's.

It'd be nice to get soon though, because then we could see the forums stop screaming about FFG killing epic. I assume epic will return eventually, whether that means getting announced a week after Wave 3, or two years down the road. I like epic, but only have a couple ships for it. I'd like to use my GR-75 again, but if it has to remain purely a display piece a bit longer I wont mind. 

Definitely agree on the not packaging the ships with epic ships, but even then they will likely still get upgrades that will be considered chased cards meaning some people will feel the need to buy it to stay competative. 

As for the size, the PT doesn't have too many options really. The Republic can get by with the Consular Class ship but the Arquitans is likely a little too large, and the CIS have nothing really in Epic's scale range that would work unless FFG made something up. They could possibly multi-faction release epic ships as the Republic (likely), Rebels, and Resistance made use of the Hammerhead and all three also made use of the CR-90. The FO is out of luck though not really having anything at that scale, just like the CIS. 

21 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

and the CIS have nothing really in Epic's scale range

🤨 Define. If 50m + on the lower end then the Gozanti (not the Imp Assault Carrier or the C-ROC), depending on which measurements they use, and the Aurore both are from within faction and are in the lower end of the range. The Trident assault ship fits as well (88m) though the implementation would be interesting. Upper end of the size range currently looks to be 150m (CR-90 and Raider II), a fair bit of wiggle room.

36 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 Define. If 50m + on the lower end then the Gozanti (not the Imp Assault Carrier or the C-ROC), depending on which measurements they use, and the Aurore both are from within faction and are in the lower end of the range. The Trident assault ship fits as well (88m) though the implementation would be interesting. Upper end of the size range currently looks to be 150m (CR-90 and Raider II), a fair bit of wiggle room.

I mean, I guess the CIS made use of the Gozanti in all of a single episode of Clone Wars but it doesn't really seem to come across as an actual CIS ship they regularly would use. And the Aurore would be a ship I'd generally think of used by Scum more than the CIS, I mean it was used by the Zygerian slaves but still neither two ships scream CIS to me. I guess the Trident assault ship works, and does have some recognizability though. 

The Gr-75, and CR-90 are clearly ships used by the Rebellion in the OT, the Gozanti used by the Imperials was all over Rebels and the Raider was made for the faction while keeping to the aesthetic and later included in Battlefront which helps further its tie to the faction, and the C-ROC again feels very scummy with its use in Rebels and it being a civilian type craft that could be refitted. I'd rather FFG keep to a ship that most people would think CIS when they saw the ship or to work with LFL to make a ship that meets that aesthetic. 

3 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

It'd be nice to get soon though, because then we could see the forums stop screaming about FFG killing epic.

Yeah, I'm betting most people would be pissed if FFG announced they were "thinking" about 2.0 standard, stopped making product, then said nothing for a year.

Despite the fact that many still have a game to play, there is plenty of whining on these boards about Hyperspace (I can't play with all my ships) while an entire group of players sits in the corner, completely unable to play with their ships as a 2.0 product.

Edited by Darth Meanie