Velvetelvis

Now that all factions only have about 4 ships for tournaments...

Yup. In fact, if you are an Imperial primary player, it’s almost certainly not right. 

At least it’s giving us Strikers, they’re fun to play. But the rest of their ships feel buried in cement. It’s bad when their transport ship (Reaper) feels more maneuverable than their superiortiy fighter (X1).

Compared to all other factions the Imps took it in the shorts. Scum has, by far, more interesting and viable ships. 

42 minutes ago, SOTL said:

That's your subjective opinion, I fear.

not just mine

3 hours ago, LordBlades said:

It might be right for you, but that doesn't make it right for everybody, or even for the majority. 

3 hours ago, millertime059 said:

Yup. In fact, if you are an Imperial primary player, it’s almost certainly not right. 

At least it’s giving us Strikers, they’re fun to play. But the rest of their ships feel buried in cement. It’s bad when their transport ship (Reaper) feels more maneuverable than their superiortiy fighter (X1).

Compared to all other factions the Imps took it in the shorts. Scum has, by far, more interesting and viable ships. 

3 hours ago, millertime059 said:

If you're a one-faction player then X-Wing 2.0 isn't for you.  Diversify.

14 hours ago, SOTL said:

Because almost all the badly designed garbage in Extended is excluded.  You don't have to deal with Palob, 4-LOM, Redline, Whisper, Vader crew, Moldy Crow, Jonus, Gunrunners...

Hyperspace is awesome.  It's about flying and positioning not busted card synergies.

I remember when people were hoping that 2.0 extended would be that. :D

It's just a matter of which card synergies come out on top for hyperspace. Then people will ***** about those.

16 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

I remember when people were hoping that 2.0 extended would be that. :D

It's just a matter of which card synergies come out on top for hyperspace. Then people will ***** about those.

And while they did, I quietly sat on the sidelines because it was clearly not the case.

Hyperspace is (currently) pretty good.  I'm a little worried about Rebel torp alpha being unpleasant but otherwise I think it's a really positive and fun play experience with a good variety of different list types being viable.

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

If you're a one-faction player then X-Wing 2.0 isn't for you.  Diversify.

That doesn't seem like a particularly new player-friendly outlook. I mean, requiring a new player to buy multiple factions to be competitive? That's never happened before!

Edited by Eisai
Deletion of extraneous semicolon.

And I’m not exactly a new player, I’m not one faction only (all three current, and planning Republic as well. Jedi Starfighter life yo!), and I’ve played and won tournaments in both extended and 2.0 format.

I can adapt. But I always come back to imperials because I love the Interceptor. Always been my favorite. I like Echo more than Whisper, Deathfire more than Redline. Strikers are a close second to Interceptors for me.

What I don’t like about Hyperspace is it removes almost all of my favorite things to fly for Imps. And it makes the non Vader X1 totally irrelevant. Because, more than almost any other Imperial ship it needs a support craft, and the reaper is not as good as the Lambda for that craft. The Reaper is a great support for Strikers and Interceptors though.

Basically there is only one list for the Imps that I’m interested in that’s worth a **** in Hyperspace. And for someone like me who is always building new lists and trying new things, having such a limited framework works against what I enjoy in the game. It’s pretty rare I’ll fly a specific list more than 4 times.

TLDR I like variety and tricky maneuverable ships. Hyperspace means I must sacrifice one.

3 hours ago, Eisai said:

That doesn't seem like a particularly new player-friendly outlook. I mean, requiring a new player to buy multiple factions to be competitive? That's never happened before!

As much as I disagree with SITL's other claim (I think Hyperspace vs. Extended is just a matter of preference, with different advantages and disadvantages, without one being objectively better) I think he nailed this one. 

The business model of X-wing has always seemed to me to be built around having to buy multiple factions (that hasn't changed in 2.0, regardless of what FFG has stated). 

2 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Now this really is some bull. Congratulations.

Unfortunately, he's right when it comes to competitive X-wing. If you're a one faction player and especially if you are a single faction buyer, you're putting yourself at a pretty big disadvantage. 

First of all, FFG is not great at balancing the game. Since wave 6 of 1.0 when I started playing, there's always been a faction at the bottom of the pile, often by quite a large margin. Even currently, Rebels in Extended and Empire in Hyperspace are in the same place. If you must stick with the faction, you might be setting yourself up for a lot of frustration. 

Secondly, by only buying one faction, you're depriving yourself of cards, some of which will be must-haves, that only appear (at least for the moment) in other factions. 

Edited by LordBlades

Third, you're depriving yourself of a huge part of the game and a lot of fun.

Could I have sulked, b*tched and moaned about the rebel A-wings being so much worse and the resistance A-wing taking the cake? Sure, but I could also get some and have hours and hours of fun with them. If I take a movie (10 bucks for 2h) as guideline for how much money an our of my fun is worth, then I've gotten already more fun out of this investment, and no end in sight!

Hyperspace removes some entire archetypes from certain factions. Imperial Aces is an example, Rebels swarms is another.

This is one of the, like, three types of complaints about hyperspace that are actually valid.

If you want to run an aces list, they still exist in hyperspace, but you have to play/buy FO/Resistance. 

23 minutes ago, svelok said:

Hyperspace removes some entire archetypes from certain factions. Imperial Aces is an example, Rebels swarms is another.

This is one of the, like, three types of complaints about hyperspace that are actually valid.

If you want to run an aces list, they still exist in hyperspace, but you have to play/buy FO/Resistance. 

I agree, but I think it's important to add "for now". Entire archetypes are removed for now, at the very beginning of hyperspace.
Palpaces, Defenders, Parattani, Dengaroo or FinalForm to name few also removed entire archetypes, and they removed more ships from the game than hyperspace...

More importantly, we always had periods with limitations. But this time, you have an alternative officially supported game format and soon 6 other factions if your preferred faction lacks something in hyperspace. That is a massive, massive improvement over the last 2 years of 1.0

Not every faction is going to be good all the time.  We know that is true from 1.0 and it's going to be even more true with 7 factions to cycle through in 2.0.  

In 1.0 you had a 1/3 chance of being able to play the best thing in a wave, in 2.0 it's only 1/7 chance and you could easily be waiting two years for your faction to get the love.

My recommendation, and it's not just me but you'll hear this from most of the podcasts too, is to follow 2 or ideally 3 factions.

Follow one faction and you're likely to have extended periods of misery and will only have yourself to blame because Christ knows enough people tried to warn you.

Well, I'm not a single faction player at all, I like to try all sorts.

But I refute any claim that you can't play X Wing 2.0 the way you like and still enjoy yourself.

I mean, if you can't enjoy a game without winning most of the time, or not using the strongest tools possible, I'd suggest games are not for you.

I occupy the middle ground. I do not need my one list that I only ever use to be competitive. Nor do I need to switch to one of the few lists that is overpowered to enjoy the game and play to a satisfactory standard. I play both casually and competitively and I see no reason why I couldn't possibly enjoy playing with a single faction if I so desired.

I imagine that perspective covers a large number of players, it certainly covers most that I meet. Diversify your view.