Velvetelvis

Now that all factions only have about 4 ships for tournaments...

9 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

That's horrifically simplistic.

And yet 100% accurate.

9 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

Know those hyperspace events at system opens? Hyperspace.

Wait, do you mean:

Side Events

Extended Qualifier:

All main event players not in the elimination rounds can register for the Extended Qualifier. Registration opens at 8.00am and closes at 9.00am. the event will start after the elimination rounds have started. This is a 6-round tournament. Players in the elimination rounds can enter this event as they are knocked out up until the top 8. They enter this event with byes for the rounds they have missed.

33 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

And yet 100% accurate.

Wait, do you mean:

Side Events

Extended Qualifier:

All main event players not in the elimination rounds can register for the Extended Qualifier. Registration opens at 8.00am and closes at 9.00am. the event will start after the elimination rounds have started. This is a 6-round tournament. Players in the elimination rounds can enter this event as they are knocked out up until the top 8. They enter this event with byes for the rounds they have missed.

that, AND...

Hyperspace Trials.... the regionals equivalent.

It's not like there's only system opens, you know.

And Hyperspace Cups... the new nationals equivalent in 2019 and going forward...

...so only system opens are the extended format.

Edited by Tlfj200

Store Champs (Wave Kits) and System Opens are Extended. (Unless your store chooses to run Wave Kits as Hyperspace, in which case, well, that's what your store wants to do.)

Regionals (Hyperspace Trials), Nationals (Hyperspace Cups), and System Open Qualifiers (Hyperspace Qualifiers) are Hyperspace.

1 hour ago, Gilarius said:

That bit of text referring to an Extended Qualifier was only for the first 2 Opens (PAX and Gdansk) which took place before the Hyperspace format was defined.

All forthcoming Opens will have a Hyperspace Qualifier instead to go with their extended main event.

False.  That's the wording currently being used on the ticket pages for the UK and Italian Opens in 2019.  I haven't checked the other Open ticket pages, but those two at least are being advertised and sold as Extended format events.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Phoenix has a day-2 event where the banner says "Extended Qualifier" and the event description says "Hyperspace Qualifier," so...?

Anyway, I'm going to play in the System Open, and it's definitely Extended, and it's also definitely a tournament, so I guess the title of this thread is highly inaccurate...

12 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

Phoenix has a day-2 event where the banner says "Extended Qualifier" and the event description says "Hyperspace Qualifier," so...?

Anyway, I'm going to play in the System Open, and it's definitely Extended, and it's also definitely a tournament, so I guess the title of this thread is highly inaccurate...

but my outrage about the future!

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

False.  That's the wording currently being used on the ticket pages for the UK and Italian Opens in 2019.  I haven't checked the other Open ticket pages, but those two at least are being advertised and sold as Extended format events.

Not false. Those ticketing pages were written before Hyperspace format was defined; the French one, written more recently, has the Hyperspace Qualifier correctly described.

I think you'll be better off checking the actual event descriptions before deciding on your lists since they clearly describe the qualifiers as being Hyperspace not Extended....

3 hours ago, Gilarius said:

I think you'll be better off checking the actual event descriptions before deciding on your lists since they clearly describe the qualifiers as being Hyperspace not Extended....

That would really suck for those of us flying in to a system open. Needing to bring one additional list, coupled with the fact that lists in 2.0 tend to have more ships than lists in 1.0 will make luggage a challenge :(

It would also mean there will be zero Extended-only official events, which is kind of a slap in the face of Extended fans. 

8 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

That would really suck for those of us flying in to a system open. Needing to bring one additional list, coupled with the fact that lists in 2.0 tend to have more ships than lists in 1.0 will make luggage a challenge :(

It would also mean there will be zero Extended-only official events, which is kind of a slap in the face of Extended fans. 

Unless you're one of the top players and you expect to make the cut at 5-1 or better, taking 2 lists is a good idea anyway because you can see what people are flying. With Hanger Bay pods, last year I took 3 lists. This year, since the pods are less desirable due to the prize structure, only taking 2 is easier.

I fitted 2 lists with a total of 7 ships, 2 of them large (Lancer and YV666), in a small carry on case along with my template trays and everything I needed for a weekend (plus a mat on the return flight) when I went to Gdansk last month. This is a minor gripe!

And Wave Championships are extended only. And stores can run more than one of these per year.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:24 AM, SpiderMana said:

I may not know much about the tournament scene at large, but I’m so very confused why people are so concerned about hyperspace legality.

Are the hyperspace tournaments just that much more accessible than the System opens? And then people want their local tournaments and casual play to be whatever gets them ready for bigger tournaments like Hyperspace?

I mean if you like extended just keep playing extended, is there a problem with that?

"If you like 1.0, you can keep 1.0!"

"If you like Extended, you can keep Extended!"

Where have we heard stuff like this before?

Now that FFG has suckered us into sinking $$$ into 2.0 with the assurance that "you can still use your 1.0 ships--you know, the stuff you spent all that money on", they are moving in the direction anyone who's paying attention predicted long ago.

As everyone knows by now, as a practical matter it's difficult, if not impossible, to "keep playing" a non-supported edition of any game.  Just ask people who used to play WHFB.

So yes, there IS a problem with that.

8 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Unless you're one of the top players and you expect to make the cut at 5-1 or better, taking 2 lists is a good idea anyway because you can see what people are flying. With Hanger Bay pods, last year I took 3 lists. This year, since the pods are less desirable due to the prize structure, only taking 2 is easier.

I fitted 2 lists with a total of 7 ships, 2 of them large (Lancer and YV666), in a small carry on case along with my template trays and everything I needed for a weekend (plus a mat on the return flight) when I went to Gdansk last month. This is a minor gripe!

And Wave Championships are extended only. And stores can run more than one of these per year.

I disagree that bringing one lis for  the main event and one for the qualifier is a good idea. It means you practiced one of them (or both) less than you could have. Unless you discover a critical flaw in your main event list I wouldn't change.

Regardless, I fully agree, carrying 2 lists is doable. Carrying 3 lists on the other hand (main event list, hyperspace list, a 2nd list for Hangar Bay pods) within the restrictions of a cabin luggage is hard. You need to make compromises (like skipping Hangar Bay as you suggested). 

Also, weren't wave championships whatever the store chose to run them at? My FLGS tried to run theirs as wave 1 only (sadly only 2 guys showed up). 

6 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

Non-supported, as in roughly half of organized play TODAY, soon to be less, and less, and less.  Deny it if you can.

That's just your fear, nothing that anyone of us knows. I can't deny your opinion, but your opinion can be unfounded. Which it is in this case.

We. Don't. Know.

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

That's just your fear, nothing that anyone of us knows. I can't deny your opinion, but your opinion can be unfounded. Which it is in this case.

We. Don't. Know.

anakin_skywalker_fate_wallpaper_1400x900

I think Hyperspace is in the same stage that starts with H.

Right now the problem is with Hyperspace is everything is so restricted. It was thought as a bridge between 2nd edition and extended and in the initial stages it turns out to be closer to second edition format. Add in that the premier competitive events are using that formula and you got a recipe for disappointment, especially for fans of B-wings and Assault Gunboats. It seems like Hyperspace FFG restricted them to give all factions the same number of ships (give or take one). So with that it became essentially 2nd edition 2.0 format. 

I think people were expecting to give the Rebels, Empire and Scum a modest 6 or 7 ships  (TIE-Bomber, A-wings), and then keep that faction there until the other 4 factions catch up. We didn't expect all the ships, but we thought there would have been more.

26 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

We. Don't. Know.

What we do know though is:

- There's significantly more Hyperspace events than Extended events (only System Opens) 

- Based on what others have reported regarding the newer, non-English, System Open pages, even at those Extended events, the Hyperspace Qualifier will be Hyperspace.

While you are right and we can't predict how OP will evolve, it's hard to argue that Extended isn't getting less 'screen time' than Hyperspace right now, which is worrying for Extended fans. 

8 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

There's significantly more Hyperspace events than Extended events (only System Opens) 

- Based on what others have reported regarding the newer, non-English, System Open pages, even at those Extended events, the Hyperspace Qualifier will be Hyperspace.

While you are right and we can't predict how OP will evolve, it's hard to argue that Extended isn't getting less 'screen time' than Hyperspace right now, which is worrying for Extended fans. 

Only in an arbitrarily selected timeframe. If you include the last 3 months then Extended is not getting less screen time.

Narrowing down the selection to fit what you want to claim is disingenuous.

Of course we see now more Hyperspace to make the format known and promote it.

We do not know yet if a format will be dominating in a year, and if yes which one it will be. It would make more sense to be Hyperspace, but that is only speculation at this point.

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Only in an arbitrarily selected timeframe. If you include the last 3 months then Extended is not getting less screen time.

Narrowing down the selection to fit what you want to claim is disingenuous.

Of course we see now more Hyperspace to make the format known and promote it.

We do not know yet if a format will be dominating in a year, and if yes which one it will be. It would make more sense to be Hyperspace, but that is only speculation at this point.

I did say 'right now', didn't I? 

Even so, if you take all official events of 2.0 (those that already happened + those announced until the end of the current season) you likely still get more Hyperspace than Extended events. 

Edited by LordBlades

32 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

What we do know though is:

- There's significantly more Hyperspace events than Extended events (only System Opens) 

Ah but we are not getting forced into accepting hyperspace very quickly as THE new format, noo noo 🙄

>>Insert Flowers and Birds in an idyllic landscape here<<

Okay since this seems more and more unavoidable, and there is nothing we can do about it (well except quitting), even if it might critically backfire, i have one last question:

What did FFG officially say about hyperspace format?

Will it get more amd mote stuffed out when new releases come out (therefore be the transitional format until everything gets rereleased?

Or will it be the sort of rotational MtG style Stamdard format where we will get a few new ships to play every few months?

More stuff: no comment.  I expect it'll grow to 6-7 ships per faction but they've never said anything about it.

Rotation: yes, confirmed.  Ships/pilots/upgrades will move on/off the list over time.

Wild card: there's a new head of global OP who's said he's planning on changing OP things that have already been announced and to expect more info in Jan.  Could be format changes. Could be anything.

Edited by SOTL

2 minutes ago, SOTL said:

More stuff: no comment.  I expect it'll grow to 6-7 ships per faction but they've never said anything about it.

Rotation: yes, confirmed.  Ships/pilots/upgrades will move on/off the list over time.

Wild card: there's a new head of global OP who's said he's planning on changing OP things that have already been announced and to expect more info in Jan.  Could be format changes. Could be anything.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah pretty much what i expected.

This is bad, but could have been worse. Fortunately if what i read here is trie, Store chamos will remain Extended.

If that wasn’t the case, another 25% of players in our region would probably have walked away.

All of them 1.0 players that feel pretty bummed about the events. FFG is just betting the wrong horse here. They should keep their old customers happy, because there are barely new ones.