HorusArisen

Learning about Android

2 hours ago, drainsmith said:

The novels and novellas are great. Free Fall is great for getting a good idea of how the Beanstalk works. Strange Flesh is a lot about clones. The Identity Trilogy goes into depth with bioroids, moon colonies, and Martian war. The novellas are more from the "runner" perspective.

I might start there. Thanks 

any suggestions which to start with?

Edited by HorusArisen

@HorusArisen Free Fall. You can then do Strange Flesh or, if you want to stick to publication order, do Identity Trilogy then Strange Flesh. The novellas can be read at any time. Do a novella between novels or save them all for last. Depends on when you can get which books.

20 minutes ago, drainsmith said:

@HorusArisen Free Fall. You can then do Strange Flesh or, if you want to stick to publication order, do Identity Trilogy then Strange Flesh. The novellas can be read at any time. Do a novella between novels or save them all for last. Depends on when you can get which books.

Just ordered them so will start reading shortly. Thanks 

Posted (edited)
On 12/21/2018 at 2:06 PM, HorusArisen said:

I’m in the uk so not keen o the international shipping. But thank you.

I'm in the UK too and ordered Worlds of Android from the US Amazon not long ago, in-fact just after Shadow of the Beanstalk was announced. With dollar pricing and shipping, it still cost me less than what I would've paid here, even if I could've found a copy.

Edited by PandionKnight
grammar

21 hours ago, PandionKnight said:

I'm in the UK too and ordered Worlds of Android from the US Amazon not long ago, in-fact just after Shadow of the Beanstalk was announced. With dollar pricing and shipping, it still cost me less than what I would've paid here, even if I could've found a copy.

I’d also like to add that I just ordered the Worlds of Android from Amazon US to Japan for 31 US dollars plus about 10 dollars shipping. Also added the Terrinoth book and it cost me a total of about 80 usd including shipping so this is really your best way to get it for a reasonable price in my opinion.

Do it before supplies get low because there were only 10 left when I ordered mine. If it’s not available from an Amazon warehouse it will be listed as third party seller fulfillment which often have higher prices and crazy expensive shipping rates. 

On 1/5/2019 at 5:37 AM, ACGalaga said:

I’d also like to add that I just ordered the Worlds of Android from Amazon US to Japan for 31 US dollars plus about 10 dollars shipping. Also added the Terrinoth book and it cost me a total of about 80 usd including shipping so this is really your best way to get it for a reasonable price in my opinion.

Do it before supplies get low because there were only 10 left when I ordered mine. If it’s not available from an Amazon warehouse it will be listed as third party seller fulfillment which often have higher prices and crazy expensive shipping rates. 

I'm sure that you'll enjoy them. Both books are gorgeous.

My books just arrived yesterday and they are amazing books! So nice to just look at. Very excited to learn about Terrinoth since I'm not so familiar with that setting. This makes me really look forward to "Shadows of the Beanstalk" being that it will most likely be the same quality. 

... have yet to actually play Genesys though 😓

14 hours ago, ACGalaga said:

My books just arrived yesterday and they are amazing books! So nice to just look at. Very excited to learn about Terrinoth since I'm not so familiar with that setting. This makes me really look forward to "Shadows of the Beanstalk" being that it will most likely be the same quality. 

... have yet to actually play Genesys though 😓

That's good news. I'm keeping an eye on Shadow of the Beanstalk too. I haven't played any Genesys either but I'm thinking of using it for a couple of settings ideas that I have. At last, I have all four Star Wars Beginner Boxes and slowly building up to play a solo game Edge of the Empire.

Of the novels I liked the Identity Trilogy  the best.  The Bioroids are fun to read about.  Free Fall was fine, but for me I felt like it told me alot of stuff I already knew from playing the Android board game.  I am curious how someone who's never played that game feels about Free Fall.  I never read Strange Flesh.  Somehow the description on that one didn't excite me.  I should circle back and give it a read.

I'm pretty hyped about Shadow Of The Beanstalk.  The article today about netrunners and breaking ice made me realize how much I miss playing Netrunner and reading about the Android universe.

Edited by phillos

On 1/21/2019 at 9:14 PM, phillos said:

Free Fall was fine, but for me I felt like it told me alot of stuff I already knew from playing the Android board game.  I am curious how someone who's never played that game feels about Free Fall.

Currently reading that myself having never played the board game. I’m enjoying the story, but have found myself thinking that due to how much of it is background, and setting, information I probably wont need to give it a second read (especiallly after my copy of Worlds of Android arrives).

13 hours ago, TCArknight said:

One thing I’m curious about. Does The Android setting involve Psionics of some kind?

Only barely. There is a new line of clones from Jinteki, the Nisei line, that has very low level mind reading abilities. If you read the novel Strange Flesh, you can get a good idea of how they work. I severely doubt the SotB book is going to include any psionic abilities in anyway except maybe an adversary ability.

Wild, I was able to get a copy of Worlds of Android hand-delivered same-day from Amazon yesterday, even in my sorta-remote neck of the woods.  What a fabulous book!  I'm an old hand with cyberpunk but a complete novice to this setting, and it convinced me to pre-order SotB from the FLGS.  THIS is the kind of source material I love for a setting - it's rich, it has several fold-out 3d isometric diagrams, maps, information, and tons of great artwork.  While I do still hope they decide to release it as a PDF, I am pleased with my purchase and would recommend this to anyone planning to play or run in this setting.