Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Happy Friday - What is your local scene like?

On 12/21/2018 at 10:46 AM, JolliGreenGiant said:

I did make it out!  We only had 5 people for Armada.  Granted, it was the last day of a pretty big convention with lots of other events.   @PT106 took it home in first place with a Motti ISD, double gladiator list.  The plus side for all of us was that prize support was really good, so I think all of us came away with the shiny CR90 A/B cards and the cool double sided Jan Ors/Valen card.  The store that had someone there TOing that tournament, is also hosting a regionals in February, which is fantastic. 

I poked my head over to say "hello" but I am not sure anyone recognized me in my Waluigi cosplay.  Got invited to the con by my girlfriend, so I didn't have time to actually play.

So far it's been me and Dad for the local scene, so it's positively booming, lol.  I'm hoping to rope a buddy into at least using my stuff (as I have most of everything for both sides), and it's not like anything will go bad so at least in about 4 years I'll have an 8-year old to get into all my gaming, as he loves all my models already.

Happy to report that our state can only be called healthy. We have a good mixture of old hands and new players, we have a handful of people coming to the mini clubs weekly Armada day so that there is a minimum of two tables most of the time. Community spirit is good, we have a semi formal group name with shirts, call signs, etc. I run a yearly autumn / winter tourney (Hoth Trophy) with a different format each time and lots of prizes (provided by other players and myself), boasting from 12 to 16 players for the last three years.

Our quarterly kits / stores / regionals are run reliably and get good attendance, our main store is supportive. 

We lost only one or two former regular players on the way, to other FFG games, but this is not related to the release schedule. And the new ones learn very quickly.

All in all a fsntastic group of different people, from competitive, multi-genre gamers to casuals, all united by the love we have for the game. 

Pretty healthy, we have 6 people who regularly bring it out for weekly games, as well as a bunch of others who are part of a Facebook group and play a game every few months (or drop in every few months to the store). The store that hosts the quarterly tournaments. While a bunch of our old hands dropped out when one store stopped running it, we've gotten a number of new players in recently. The only issue if getting some of them some of the ships, but luckily a bunch of us have good collections and so are happy to lend ships or cards (or proxy cards) to keep people interested.

We're also a 5 hour drive from Toronto, so there's 4-6 of us that are willing to do overnight trips to play in bigger tournaments down there (like the regionals in 2 weeks time).

So I'd say it's quite healthy.