Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Happy Friday - What is your local scene like?

My local scene is getting pretty strong, especially considering that there was only one player in my area before I moved here five months ago.  Through Learn to Play demos (just completed another one tonight) and tourneys, we now have over 15 active Armada players.  We generally do casual play at Orbital Games in Sierra Vista, AZ and run our tourneys out of Friction Games on Fort Huachuca.  We are still working through our first campaign and have numerous people looking to join our next one.  Pretty healthy community, and still growing.

It has gotten pretty strong here, we meet at stores or at my business in off hours as I can host multiple games there.  We have tournament's in Derry NH but we play Massachusetts as well and another player is working on getting tournament's going in Quincy MA just south of Boston.  I will be Hosting a Regional in Derry NH and am expecting 16 +/- 4, maybe more if folks travel a bit more than I'm expecting.

Considering only a year ago there was nothing more than a few folks that would see each other at Store Championships once a year we are doing great and we seem to add a player or two every month or two at the moment.

Task Force Orange has managed to recruit enough players for a full Corellian Campaign starting in February. 

Things are looking up!

Of course, having the highest ranked player south of the Tweed is a major draw card...

5 hours ago, Cubanboy said:

Hello and Happy Friday,

Let's explore the world, what's your local scene like? Do you play at home or a store, are you playing through a campaign or something else?

Dead.

I play on Vassal - or I drive for 3+ hours or hop on a plane.

Locally I play only X-wing 2.0

We've got a good scene with a solid core of players here in Edinburgh. A half dozen or so of us playing regularly, plus others around less frequently and nearby groups in Glasgow and Stirling who put on a fair showing too. Lots of solid competition as well with a few of us typically placing well (just outside the cut so far) at events like Nationals ( @Dreadnowt!) and Euros, but still lots of great "weird wee Scottish meta" lists in use a lot of the time. Two local stores (Red Dice and Games Hub) for regular game nights as well as the always-wonderful Common Ground Games through in Stirling that runs its own game nights and frequent tournaments and typically hosts the Scottish Regionals. 

Locally I think it's me and two other guys. Schedules don't usually work out, so we never play. The stores that are only an hour drive that had any life have dried up. And the 2hr commute stores have slowed to the occasional tournament every quarter. 

So it's worse than 2017 and 2016. 

I like the concept of playing some...but I'm definitely in on Legion more, and even that, is more about the hobby of painting it over playing it. 

Things went down after a Store Chapionship in September. What with XWING 2.0, Legion, and Kill Team launching, and basically nothing for Armada, people have walked away. Its maybe 3 of us, but the situation with the military right now means we arnt able to link up very often.

Alternatively, speaking to people who are looking at Armada right now but might get XWING 2.0 instead, that $80 (usd) buy in before getting the ships you want really makes people step back.

There's a store 1 hour away that had 15 people come out to the Store tournament, and 5 people came out to a regular 400 point tournament earlier this month. That was also the same weekend as PAX Unplugged, so we may have had even more show up if it wasn't for that. 

Speaking of PAX, how many people came out for Armada? @JolliGreenGiant did you go?

54 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Alternatively, speaking to people who are looking at Armada right now but might get XWING 2.0 instead, that $80 (usd) buy in before getting the ships you want really makes people step back.

This is the frustrating part.  After I completed a Learn to Play demo last night, the person I was teaching said he loved the system, loved the models, and appreciated the extremely positive and helpful community that we have in the area.  But after walking over to the Core Set and seeing its price (still $99.99 at our FLGS), understandably, he started to have reservations.  I wish I could say that this is the first time this has happened, but unfortunately it's not.

Just now, Admiral Calkins said:

This is the frustrating part.  After I completed a Learn to Play demo last night, the person I was teaching said he loved the system, loved the models, and appreciated the extremely positive and helpful community that we have in the area.  But after walking over to the Core Set and seeing its price (still $99.99 at our FLGS), understandably, he started to have reservations.  I wish I could say that this is the first time this has happened, but unfortunately it's not.

Cough cough order the core set online, then buy the rest from your store cough cough.

Sorry, terrible cold. I assume you've asked your FLGS about lowering the price of the core set as a way to get a taste/bring in more people? Think of it like an addictive drug!

35 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

While I will never argue that Armada is a cheap game it is cheaper than most on an ongoing basis especially once your established.  I would actually like to spend more on the game but FFG isn't facilitating that.  Armada is my #1 game by far but I have spent far less on it in the past year than I have spent on Legion or X-Wing and I am about to give up on X-Wing.

I just wish it could be easier to get that point across.  As @geek19 said, order the Core online.  Other than Amazon this store has it for $36.99 plus about $5 shipping in the US...

https://marketplacebuy.com/products/star-wars-armada-game?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

At this point I think FFG could do away with the Core all together and just go with an Essentials pack and let folks get the ships they want.

Edited by Thrindal

26 minutes ago, geek19 said:

Cough cough order the core set online, then buy the rest from your store cough cough.

Sorry, terrible cold. I assume you've asked your FLGS about lowering the price of the core set as a way to get a taste/bring in more people? Think of it like an addictive drug!

I have brought it up to him.  He has not lowered it yet for a few reasons.  First, he is selling it, but it is still a huge barrier to entry for the people that I give demos to compared to X-Wing or Kill Team.  I believe he has sold 3-4 Core Sets since he opened up in September, so I guess they are selling good enough for him to keep the current price.  Second, they are a relatively new store, and he does not want to drop the standard price on the item this early (it still goes on sale during the rest of his promotions though).  Third, he says that people who do not buy into Armada (after a demo, for instance) because of the Core Set price are usually willing to pick up the X-Wing 2.0 Core Set on the adjacent shelf because it is cheaper to test out.  I don't know the statistics behind this, but it makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

While I will never argue that Armada is a cheap game it is cheaper than most on an ongoing basis especially once your established.  I would actually like to spend more on the game but FFG isn't facilitating that.  Armada is my #1 game by far but I have spent far less on it in the past year than I have spent on Legion or X-Wing and I am about to give up on X-Wing.

I just wish it could be easier to get that point across.  As @geek19 said, order the Core online.  Other than Amazon this store has it for $36.99 plus about $5 shipping in the US...

https://marketplacebuy.com/products/star-wars-armada-game?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

At this point I think FFG could do away with the Core all together and just go with an Essentials pack and let folks get the ships they want.

Completely get it.  Unfortunately, we have a unique game store situation in our small town right now.  After not having a store for years (except the one on Fort Huachuca that only sells CCGs and Warhammer), two opened up in the same week in September.  In order to get these stores to stick around, the last thing I want to do is start directing people towards Amazon for their products, even if it is just the Core Set to start.

Bring on the essentials pack!

4 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Completely get it.  Unfortunately, we have a unique game store situation in our small town right now.  After not having a store for years (except the one on Fort Huachuca that only sells CCGs and Warhammer), two opened up in the same week in September.  In order to get these stores to stick around, the last thing I want to do is start directing people towards Amazon for their products, even if it is just the Core Set to start.

What I ask new players to do is get the Core for as cheap as they can find on-line then by the first copy of each expansion they want from the store to show support for the game.  If you want a second copy of anything it is up to them, I usually look for the best price I can find.  Even then I only feel any obligation to buy in store if the truely support the game.  That means events and tournaments.  I am fortunate in that we have several stores less than an hour away but I will only buy in store if that store supports the game with more than an annual Store Championship (almost all the stores that sell Armada around here host a Store Championship, outside of that most offer little support for the game, those that do get my business).

Long story short it depends on how much your stores really support the game.  You are doing them a favor hosting demo's, do they support the game in any other way?  Maybe the owner doesn't have to drop the price of the Core but offer a sale on it the days you run the Demo.  In my mind (and I am not a store owner) Core sets should ALWAYS be a loss leader.  If you don't sell the Core you will not sell any expansions.

Our local scene is awesome.  Within about an hour of me there are multiple stores that host monthly or every-other-monthly tournaments.  A couple do quarterly championships, and our regionals last year had almost 40 people I think.

Nova is awesome!

@Thrindal I'm in the same boat.  I'll buy everything FFG releases Armada wise (and multiples of half of it!)  They just don't seem eager to take my money!   Bummer!

1 hour ago, Bertie Wooster said:

There's a store 1 hour away that had 15 people come out to the Store tournament, and 5 people came out to a regular 400 point tournament earlier this month. That was also the same weekend as PAX Unplugged, so we may have had even more show up if it wasn't for that. 

Speaking of PAX, how many people came out for Armada? @JolliGreenGiant did you go?

I did make it out!  We only had 5 people for Armada.  Granted, it was the last day of a pretty big convention with lots of other events.   @PT106 took it home in first place with a Motti ISD, double gladiator list.  The plus side for all of us was that prize support was really good, so I think all of us came away with the shiny CR90 A/B cards and the cool double sided Jan Ors/Valen card.  The store that had someone there TOing that tournament, is also hosting a regionals in February, which is fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Admiral Calkins said:

I completely agree with this. I've talked about buying some cheap core sets and stripping the essentials out to try to run a Start Up League myself, just to get the essentials in there, and then include either the rebels or imperials if people want them, but otherwise let them get what they want. An essentials pack would help so much.

The scene in the Washington Metro area (I'm on the Northern Virginia side) is excellent.  I took part in a 10 player narrative scenario event last weekend held at one of our local stores.  It was great fun.  It is pretty easy to play pick up games and there are regular tournaments (although the schedule has slackened over this winter).

Regarding the price of the Core Set, I'm not certain if I would have jumped in at the $99 MSRP.  One friend introduce me to the game and, coincidentally, another friend decided to sell his Core Set for $40.  All of a sudden, I was in.  My purchases since then have been a combination of FLGS purchases, online buys, and picking up items on eBay.