Skitch_

Jumped In Have Some Questions

After seeing the most recent sale of the core set on Amazon for ~$50 I decided to jump in. I have a large X-Wing Miniatures collection and am looking for something a bit different. I have tried to do a bit of reading before getting the core box and it seems that some people prefer this to X-Wing. I want to see how I enjoy the game before getting every expansion there is but I do have a few questions:

1. Is one of each expansion generally all that is needed? 
2. Are there cross faction upgrades like in X-Wing?
3. For those who play both Armada and X-Wing, what would you say the biggest difference are? What do you like more about Armada?

Thanks

Welcome. I love armada. I actually dumped my x wing for it  

To answer 3. Bighest difference is the scenarios. You can go all out. Beat your opponent close to death. But if they follow the scenario/objective they can make it a tie game. Or even win. I've done it before. 

And capital ships. Always. Lol

1: There are buying guides out there that help dramatically. the base of it is 

Imperial: Imperial Star Destroyer, Fighter pack 1, Gladator

Rebels: Either an mc75, or mc80(either flavor, home one or liberty), fighter pack 1, mc30

The fighter packs are a bit rare right now, if you played X-wing I'm sure you're familiar with FFG's inability to produce models very quickly. 

2: Most upgrades are cross faction, some are unique but the vast majority work for both. 

3: Most describe the difference being that between checkers and chess.

X-wing is very seat of your pants. The attacks are variable(dice), the defenses are variable(dice), and your flight path changes all the time in direct response to your opponent. 

Armada is all about planning. This game is only 6 rounds long, you need to keep that in mind at all times. The attacks can be variable (though it's one of the few games you can re-roll re-rolls if you have a couple abilities that allow them so it's easier to get the dice you want), the defenses are static(brace cuts damage by half rounded up, redirect allows you to use your shields, evade cancels or forces an opponent to reroll, scatter cancels all damage), and while you might adjust your flight path slightly to meet an opponent you've deployed it LARGELY with where it's going to go in mind before the first turn. 

It has a curve to learn, but you'll find that curve more rewarding as you get better and better.  

Welcome to the fun. 

Edited by dominosfleet

Hello and welcome!  This game is well worth trying, and I can't think of any way I'd rather spend a game night.

1.  It depends on the expansion.  For instance, you probably wouldn't regret having only one Home One, but the CR90 wants duplicates for a complete collection.  There's middle ground too; you could be just fine with a single Imperial Star Destroyer, but fleets with 2 or 3 play very differently, allowing you to decide if you like the game before buying multiples.

2.  Unless a faction's symbol is shown on the upgrade card, it's cross-faction.

WELCOME! Great choice ;)

For starters, one of each should be enough to give you some wiggleroom when building fleets. As mentioned, there are guides what to buy first, but mostly they talk about either quick fleet diversity or competitive list building. If you really dig a ship, just go by the rule of cool and you'll be fine ;) Also, i'd suggest buying each expansion once at first and go for seconds when you've played the ship and like it's role(s) and playstyle(s). The expansions for the core Game ships aren't THAT necessary, but they aren't useless either. Commanders and titles especially are really good. In the Armada Wiki you can have a look at the expansions and see what cards come with them. iIrc @Crabbokcommented on the best cards per expansion in his buylist guides.

I feel obliged to add to the before given answers to your second question. It is true, that most upgrades, except commanders, titles and some officers can indeed be used by either faction. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the question was more directed to: "do I have to buy an expansion for another faction, because I want to have a specific Upgrade?" On that Account: yes you do (it's FFG, what did you expect? :P ) BUT the amount of such cards is incredibly low and right atm I can only think of one and that isn't even one I find so much use for (Wide Area Barrage).

I think the biggest differences are the speed of the game and the tactical depth. In X-Wing, the order of activation depends in the Pilot Skill and is the same each round. In Armada, you can activate your ships in whichever order you prefer - and you can change the order each round. Also, shooting first and then asking ques.... erm... and then moving, changes the combat severly, compared to X-Wing. In X-Wing's combat phase your opponent has already moved and you know where your enemy is and whom he can shoot. In Armada, shooting and moving are part of one activation during the same phase, so lots of those situations and target opportunities do not unfold until a ship has moved during its activation.

Oh yeah... And objectives😅

Edited by R4Pi3R
Forgotten about objs... Again

Thank you all for the replies! This has helped me understand a bit more about what I am going to be getting in to. 

15 hours ago, R4Pi3R said:

I feel obliged to add to the before given answers to your second question. It is true, that most upgrades, except commanders, titles and some officers can indeed be used by either faction. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the question was more directed to: "do I have to buy an expansion for another faction, because I want to have a specific Upgrade?" On that Account: yes you do (it's FFG, what did you expect? :P ) BUT the amount of such cards is incredibly low and right atm I can only think of one and that isn't even one I find so much use for (Wide Area Barrage).

Yes, this is what I was trying to figure out by asking that question. Thank you.

15 hours ago, R4Pi3R said:

One Huge one is X17.

Until the SSD releases the only place to find it is in the Nebulon B expansion.  This is a very popular upgrade for Star Destroyers so not only do you have to buy "across the isle" you also have to buy a ship expansion for a ship you got in the Core set.  Of course the Neb B costs 10% that of a SSD so even once that comes out the Neb B may be the best way to get that card.  It was part of an OP kit though so there are also sources for this card elsewhere as well.

19 hours ago, Skitchx said:

After seeing the most recent sale of the core set on Amazon for ~$50 I decided to jump in. I have a large X-Wing Miniatures collection and am looking for something a bit different. I have tried to do a bit of reading before getting the core box and it seems that some people prefer this to X-Wing. I want to see how I enjoy the game before getting every expansion there is but I do have a few questions:

3. For those who play both Armada and X-Wing, what would you say the biggest difference are? What do you like more about Armada?

Thanks

Armada is deeper, slower - and ultimately more rewarding.

It has a steep learning curve that just goes on and on and on. It's not that the rules are so incredibly complex - it's the depth of the interactions and the wide-ranging consequences of even the smallest of mistakes.

If that's your thing, you'll love armada.

If you want fast and furious, x-wing is infinitely superior.

I enjoy both games, as they kind of have some things in common, yet plays totally different.

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Armada is deeper, slower - and ultimately more rewarding.

It has a steep learning curve that just goes on and on and on. It's not that the rules are so incredibly complex - it's the depth of the interactions and the wide-ranging consequences of even the smallest of mistakes.

If that's your thing, you'll love armada.

If you want fast and furious, x-wing is infinitely superior.

I enjoy both games, as they kind of have some things in common, yet plays totally different.

Cool, thanks for your input.  I am looking for something a bit different than X-Wing right now. I am hoping for something a bit more thinky and less list building.

7 hours ago, Thrindal said:

One Huge one is X17.

Until the SSD releases the only place to find it is in the Nebulon B expansion.  This is a very popular upgrade for Star Destroyers so not only do you have to buy "across the isle" you also have to buy a ship expansion for a ship you got in the Core set.  Of course the Neb B costs 10% that of a SSD so even once that comes out the Neb B may be the best way to get that card.  It was part of an OP kit though so there are also sources for this card elsewhere as well.

X-I7, Tubolaser reroute circuits, advanced proton torpedoes and most "must have but only in one expansion" upgrades have been tourney prizes 2-5$ on ebay gets you most of them and they're spiffy alt art too.

17 hours ago, Thrindal said:

One Huge one is X17.

Except it was given out as an alt art in a kit, so at least around these parts it's thick as flies.

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Except it was given out as an alt art in a kit, so at least around these parts it's thick as flies.

I did mention it's part of an OP kit but for new players that might not be as easy to find unless they find a generous player that gives them one or knows to look on E-bay.  For those of us that have been around a while we may take it for granted, new players may not be able to find them as easily.

17 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

I did mention it's part of an OP kit but for new players that might not be as easy to find unless they find a generous player that gives them one or knows to look on E-bay.  For those of us that have been around a while we may take it for granted, new players may not be able to find them as easily.

That's true. As a TO in a small community I probably have much better access to the old cards.

Welcome! You won't be disappointed!

1. Large and mediums basically only need one expansion... Small you will possibly want more than 1. 2 flotillae for sure.. Fighters probably 2 of each expansion, possibly more for rogues.

2. And 3. I'm skipping

4. Learn how to play as second player... This is likely the biggest challenge for new players and arguably THE skill required to do well in Armada... Wave 7 helps a lot here. Cheers and good luck.

On 12/20/2018 at 5:28 PM, Skitchx said:

Thanks

A bit late to these but I offer the same as I did on the other. You don't "need" one of each expansion as while there are a few things that are only in one expansion that might not be your faction there isn't really an "autothrusters/starviper" situation. At this point most everything is available in an expansion for each faction. There are "only in one expansion" things but they're not stuff you want to staple to every ship in a fleet. 

The biggest difference between X-wing and Armada is ships shoot and then move. There isn't all ships move and then all ships shoot. A ship is selected does its thing and then the next player picks a ship and it does its thing. There isn't a pilot skill/initiative system at work as to when ships "go" during a turn. This is the deeper and most important distinction between playing the two games.