debiant

In Defense of Ammonia Cloud

This follows the example of another recent thread, "In Defense of Dextre." The format is different, though. I'd like to hear thoughts, additions, or counter point.

Maybe I'm just one of a few that didn't understand the full potential of this card.  These are things I've learned trying to make Ammonia Cloud more useful. Some people look at the card as just a subpar board wipe, but I think they are missing half the utility of the card. Consider the following points:

Strengths

• Usable as either a set piece for combos with bigger creatures, or a board wipe for smaller ones.
  • It doesn't give you chains.
  • Combined with Combat Pheromones, the threat of this card amplifies greatly.
  • Incubation Chamber will allow you to archive the card. 
  • Releasing opponents archived cards pushes them into your wipe or combo next turn.
  • In conjunction with Martian Hounds, could have a 20+ power creature in a single turn.
  • Many affects will force suboptimal board wipes by your opponent.
  • Particularly strong against Shadows, Dis, Mars, and Untamed.
  • Capable of destroying Shadow Self in a single direct damage attack. 
  • Shadows has several synergistic purge, steal, and gain affects
  • Destroys most shields and pings most Sanctum creatures.
  • Can be used for solid amber gain.
  • Using Cleansing Wave is a big amber generator.
  • Using Save the Pack can wipe nearly all remaining creatures for 1 chain.

Weaknesses

• Doesn't provide Amber itself
  • Can be situational
  • Can clog up your hand
  • Subpar board wipe
  • Direct damage, not destroy
  • Threats protected by Shadow Self won't be damaged.
  • Brobnar, Dis, and Logos have few cards that directly connect.

Combo/Synergy Pieces

Though there are other cards that go well with Ammonia Cloud, I've only chosen those that might not go well with other board wipes or those able to synergize with pretty much anything.

Brobnar

• Iron Obelisk

Dis

• Pandemonium

Logos

• Anomaly Explorer

Mars

• Martian Hounds
  • Mass Abduction
  • Yxilio Bolter

Sanctum

• Cleansing Wave
  • Potion of Invulernability
  • Protectrix

Shadows

• Finishing Blow
  • Relentless Whispers
  • Seeker Needle
  • Special Delivery

Untamed

• Save the Pack
  • Vigor
Edited by debiant
strikethrough misread cards.

I have a combo-centric deck Dagen, Autoputer Inventor (Dis, Logos, Mars) all my Mars creatures can die to Ammonia Cloud which I thought was super silly but as I played the deck more and more I realized that I typically should archive that card with any other cards that can destroy creatures or affect amber which allows a ''toolbox'' approach to games. Typically I prefer to play Ammonia Cloud first than drop my Mars creatures down like they just sent out a cleansing cloud of Ammonia before they land. Since the damage stays on creatures the 3 damage tends to allow my weak mars creatures the ability to finish off, on average, the other players creatures if they attempt to fight them.

• Combined with Combat Pheromones, the threat of this card amplifies greatly.
  • Incubation Chamber will allow you to archive the card. 

(Can’t quote properly on mobile, sorry)

Neither of these points are correct. The Pheremones only allow you to use cards, not play them. The Chamber only archives Mars creatures.

I appreciate this level of thought and detail being put into a card analysis. It gives me hope for the caliber of the competitive environment going forward.

54 minutes ago, krokmaster said:
  • Combined with Combat Pheromones, the threat of this card amplifies greatly.
  • Incubation Chamber will allow you to archive the card. 

(Can’t quote properly on mobile, sorry)

Neither of these points are correct. The Pheremones only allow you to use cards, not play them. The Chamber only archives Mars creatures.

I appreciate this level of thought and detail being put into a card analysis. It gives me hope for the caliber of the competitive environment going forward.

Sorry, I missed these points.

@KFMixer yeah, definitely not broken, but more interesting.

One thing that attracts me to this game, is that I don't see an ultimate combo.  What I mean is that there isn't one.  There are tons of good interactions and plays.  Some of them take set up, and can be countered in advance.  If I kept running into the same combo, it would bother me.  In magic, many of the decks have the same combo, simply because they are the meta of the year.  

While some people complain, I see this game as fairly balanced right now.  This is decently balanced without any additional rules or errata, and that is saying a ton.  Usually there are a few cards that are just over powered, but even horsemen get beat consistently

20 hours ago, debiant said:

@KFMixer I definitely could see some additional artifact destruction coming down the road, because there aren’t a whole lot of answers out for them right now, but I think you’re spot on.

I have one deck so far called The Apprentice who Shrouds Weaponry (Untamed, Brobnar, Sanctum), that has the most artifact interaction compared to the rest of my decks😁 LOL even the name suggests what that deck will do.