Sign in to follow this  
barabelsftw

In Defense of Dextre

In my opinion Dextre is a middling card at best. I feel like he's useful sometimes but I usually would prefer any other Logos card. That changed when I opened my fist deck with a Neutron Shark. Now Dextre has this amazing use as the last card that I destroy with Neutron Shark to stop its effect. The risk of blowing up my useful cards even after I clear my opponents board is gone because when I destroy Dextre he goes to the top of my deck then gets discarded and stops the effect!

I just think it's so cool that even a card that feels out of place can sometimes do amazing stuff in the right situation and deck.

Anybody else have cards they thought would stink but the right deck made them shine?

Edited by barabelsftw

Nice combo.

Neutron Shark is hilarious.  I recently played a Harland Mindlock (sp?) and took my opponent's Neutron Shark, used it and wiped the board, using the Dextre trick you mentioned at the end.

7 hours ago, barabelsftw said:

Anybody else have cards they thought would stink but the right deck made them shine?

I'm still waiting for EMP blast to prove itself usefull.  Ok destroying artifacts is cool, but it's a Martian House card that stuns Martian creatures. That's not very helpfull.

For the record I do  like  Dextre. Hes usefull.

You could always stop Neutron Shark by choosing him as your creature to destroy. If it's not in play, then its effect ends.

Dextre gets discarded almost every time for me as I don't want that garbage clogging up my hand (he will possibly get played only if capturing 1 will stop a key forging next turn).

Things could be different if my Dextre deck had lots of creatures, but it only has 2 so I only call Logos to dump action cards (they are really good action cards though).

Edited by PickleTheHutt

I like Dextre because there is a lot of artifact in Logos that make you draw (or actions that make you draw). If he is returning to the top of your deck, you know you are drawing a Logos card and get to play it again. It's obviously better if you have a lot of creatures/artifact in your deck because it allows you to use your board even if you only have 1-2 Logos cards in hand.

I feel Dextre's best use is in conjunction with cards like Library of Babble and Library Access. Comboing off with Logos is fun, but it needs Logos cards to keep going. Throwing Dextre at an enemy and assuring the next card you'll draw is Logos is worth it. The whole capturing thing is icing on the cake.

12 hours ago, PickleTheHutt said:

You could always stop Neutron Shark by choosing him as your creature to destroy. If it's not in play, then its effect ends.

Dextre gets discarded almost every time for me as I don't want that garbage clogging up my hand (he will possibly get played only if capturing 1 will stop a key forging next turn).

Things could be different if my Dextre deck had lots of creatures, but it only has 2 so I only call Logos to dump action cards (they are really good action cards though).

This is true. I forgot to mention that my deck uses multiple  shadow selfs so if I can keep NS around he's usually protected allowing another semi board clear (or the threat of one).

14 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

I'm still waiting for EMP blast to prove itself usefull.  Ok destroying artifacts is cool, but it's a Martian House card that stuns Martian creatures. That's not very helpfull.

For the record I do  like  Dextre. Hes usefull.

I'm surprised how often I use EMP in my Mars Logos deck with 6 artifacts. I can mitigate some of the drawbacks with key abduction and sometimes my opponents artifacts are scarier than mine. It helps that my wife's go-to deck has two ritual of balance and a couple other annoying artifacts. 

Edited by barabelsftw