PodRacer

2018 Community shoutout Thread.

Plug your favourite members of the community 2018 and why..

Talk about your memorable moments from the past year in armada

So many names I could plug..

For me Im gonna plug @Green Knight @JJs Juggernaut and anyone else working hard behind the scenes to keep Vassal and Warlords up to date, keeping broke A$5 players like myself in the game for the right price.

Shout outs to @MandalorianMoose who's list I shamelessly netlisted to get my first store tournament win, and the bothan spy @BrobaFett for securing the blueprints for the list.

@anothermorat @Realadmiralsdoitinspace @unknown scottish chap who all helped out when I forgot my card box at the hotel room the morning of the European championships.

@Irishmadcat my Euros roomate who had to put up with my smelly feet all weekend!

Memorable moments...

@Ginkapo reaction to forgetting Avenger in the semi final at Euros...  Real pain!  (similar to when @EbonHawk first saw the Rieekan nerf)

'drawing' with Uk powerhouse @RikkiP during the VAT (that counts as win right??!)

Being crowned Europes #44 when you exected to be in the mid to late #60's

Was a great year for Armada despite the lack of news from FFGod, and that is all due to the fact we have such an amazing community so get shouting out....

Shout outs to @carthwolf, @MasterThrawn, @OberMatthew, @Death004, and all the other new faces on the forum.  Proof that despite the slow release schedule, this excellent game is still drawing new players.

Shout out to the mafia crew: @EbonHawk, @PodRacer, @clontroper5, @Matt3412, @BrobaFett, @Bertie Wooster, @Madaghmire, @Caldias, @Lord Preyer, @Herowannabe, @GhostofNobodyInParticular, @LTD, @Constantine Valdor, @CaribbeanNinja and @ovinomanc3r.  You guys are awesome, and there's nobody I'd rather stab in the back. 😉

Shout out to @Khyros for making an ISD lighting tutorial I'm finally trying.

Memorable moments:

Going to Nova and being able to meet some of you in person before eventually collapsing after round five into a glorious, Armada-induced coma.

The birth of #squidtruth, which will eventually eclipse the bloated carcass of Shrimpism.

Attending the Spokane invitational and trying to juke @stonestokes' seven Hammerheads with a Jerjerrod ISD.

Edited by The Jabbawookie
Never try to name the whole mafia crew in one post

Going with @thecactusman17to Nova, going to reno for store champs to play against @Mig1921 and @hulldown.  Hoping to get @KingCHUD back in the game.  

Seeing @CyborgNinja again at Nova and getting a game in.  And maybe playing the single most enjoyable game ever with @mr_mithrandir at the socal regional. 

Edited by themightyhedgehog
Added more shoutouts!

And a huge shoutout in return to @themightyhedgehog, @Norsehound, and @Mig1921 who have all spent the last year quietly working behind the scenes to grow the Armada community in northern California and Nevada.

It's been an incredible year getting to literally travel the country and meet many players and even FFG staff who've done so much for this game.  Thanks to @BrobaFett, @Darth Veggie, @hulldown, @duck_bird, @Truthiness and dozens of other forum regulars who have been incredibly friendly and welcoming when I had the opportunity to meet them at tournaments and events such as Regionals and NoVa Open.

4 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

And a huge shoutout in return to @themightyhedgehog, @Norsehound, and @Mig1921 who have all spent the last year quietly working behind the scenes to grow the Armada community in northern California and Nevada.

It's been an incredible year getting to literally travel the country and meet many players and even FFG staff who've done so much for this game.  Thanks to @BrobaFett, @Darth Veggie, @hulldown, @duck_bird, @Truthiness and dozens of other forum regulars who have been incredibly friendly and welcoming when I had the opportunity to meet them at tournaments and events such as Regionals and NoVa Open.

Although, I'd love to go to NoVA or an US regional, I have never been there. We haven't even met during a Vassal tournament, I fear. That said, I think we should! 😀

4 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

Although, I'd love to go to NoVA or an US regional, I have never been there. We haven't even met during a Vassal tournament, I fear. That said, I think we should! 😀

3 hours ago, Darth Veggie said:

What if someone in America is claiming to be Darth Veggie...😳

Shout out to @ScottGilbert25 and @Rfrankum for TOing Armada tournaments in the SE Pennsylvania area, @JolliGreenGiant and @Stasy who I've met at those tournaments! Thanks for helping me get into the tournament scene for my first year, and being patient with me for that one game when I referred to Maarek Stele as "Jendon" like 5 times.

Shout out to @ryanabt and @Admiral Calkins for those Armada parodies of "Wouldn't It Be Nice and "Baby Got Back." Probably my favorite thread this year!

Still haven't been to a big tournament (NOVA, GenCon, etc.), so unfortunately, most of these shout outs are for your contribution to the community and not for finally getting a chance to meet a lot of you all.

Shout outs for the excellent podcasters, @Mogrok for Galactic Conflict, @RikkiP and company for Comms Noise, @Armada Jim for Fire When Ready, and @Emperor Dane and company for ORJ!  Thanks for the great content, especially through the late-2018 lull of no news from FFG.

Shout outs to the two best Armada blogs, Cannot Get Your Ship Out (@geek19 and @Snipafist) and Steel Command (@BiggsIRL, @shmitty, and @Truthiness), for not only giving us something interesting and humorous to read while at work, but for prepping us for Store Championships and Regionals.

Shout outs to MOTF (@Captain Weather and @Irokenics) for their excellent ship tutorial videos and Batreps and @Crabbok for all his videos that don't mention Ackbar Nebulons or Double Broadsides.

Thanks to @Nagasadow for continuing to build the Armada community after I left Washington and @Darth Merkat for helping me build the community from the ground up in Arizona.

Appreciate @The Jabbawookie's great advice and positive demeanor on the forums, who is always acting as a mediator so calmer heads can prevail.  Also greatly appreciate @Ginkapo's advice, especially on fleet building, leading to more positive interactions than our first encounter (my fault).

Thanks for a great 2018! …Now FFG, let's get that SSD on the table!

Edited by Admiral Calkins
Added @Snipafist (didn't know his forum handle from CGYSO)

11 minutes ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Still haven't been to a big tournament (NOVA, GenCon, etc.), so unfortunately, most of these shout outs are for your contribution to the community and not for finally getting a chance to meet a lot of you all.

Shout outs for the excellent podcasters, @Mogrok for Galactic Conflict, @RikkiP and company for Comms Noise, @Armada Jim for Fire When Ready, and @Emperor Dane and company for ORJ!  Thanks for the great content, especially through the late-2018 lull of no news from FFG.

Shout outs to the two best Armada blogs, Cannot Get Your Ship Out (@geek19 and friends) and Steel Command (@BiggsIRL, @shmitty, and @Truthiness), for not only giving us something interesting and humorous to read while at work, but for prepping us for Store Championships and Regionals.

Shout outs to MOTF (@Captain Weather and @Irokenics) for their excellent ship tutorial videos and Batreps and @Crabbok for all his videos that don't mention Ackbar Nebulons or Double Broadsides.

Thanks to @Nagasadow for continuing to build the Armada community after I left Washington and @Darth Merkat for helping me build the community from the ground up in Arizona.

Appreciate @The Jabbawookie's great advice and positive demeanor on the forums, who is always acting as a mediator so calmer heads can prevail.  Also greatly appreciate @Ginkapo's advice, especially on fleet building, leading to more positive interactions than our first encounter (my fault).

Thanks for a great 2018! …Now FFG, let's get that SSD on the table!

Thanks for the shout-out, I do want to point out that @Snipafist is that friend!

There are so many members that make this a great way to spend my time! 

Shout out to @melminiatures, for countless waves of models, to@ThatRobHuman for an amazing site to stat them. 

To @Cubanboy for all the positivity. 

To @Drasnighta for answering every rules question promptly and with credibility. 

Thanks to @Darth Sanguis for maintaining an awesome local group, that I don't get out to join, near as much as I would like to.

To name just a few. ;)

12 hours ago, themightyhedgehog said:

Playing at Nova with @thecactusman17, going to reno for store champs to play against @Mig1921 and @hulldown.  

11 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

Cheers guys!  Always a pleasure when we can coax you out to our neck of the woods. 

Can't wait to shake the rust off next month in Mountain View!

@Drasnighta

@i2xCross

For everything you've both done and sacrificed to get rules sorted, talked through, and submitted to FFG for clarifications or at least present arguments as for how things can best work based on current rules.

Both of you are seriously underrated.

Also to everyone who makes helpful and healthy armada videos, blogs, or other helpful content. Your work is noticed and appreciated 

16 hours ago, Darth Veggie said:

Oh shoot, clearly I've got a bad memory for that weekend.

Edited by thecactusman17

Shoutout to @ffgjosh, because while FFG won't give any info or articles or announcements to the Armada community, they're still clearly happy to come in and lock about 3 threads a week, at least confirming that officially FFG realizes that we still exist over here in this poorly lit corner of the forum.  Which, at this point, is better than nothing.  :D

I honestly was a bit suprised to see my name here. You made me screenshot it and show my wife and she just looked at me like 🤨.

Anyways I wanted to thank @The Jabbawookie for being a welcoming member of the comminuty. I've seen your attention to people posting the squad lists and the amount of collaboration you offer is amazing. I live by the moto collaboration over compition and i believe you emobied that. 

@xanderf for being a real joy to play with in my first regionals. Hope to see you at more events.

@CommanderDave I've really enjoyed reading your tournament reports and hope you keep producing conent for the game.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:54 PM, themightyhedgehog said:

And maybe playing the single most enjoyable game ever with @mr_mithrandir at the socal regional. 

Right back at ya. That game was fantastic and fun! Just proof that even at the highest levels of tournament play you can still just enjoy playing a game.  That was my first ever tournament and what a crew to experience it with. Shout out to @BrobaFett for pushing me out of my dining room table. Haven’t looked back. Now if I could only find a way to get more games on the table…

I would also echo shouts to @Captain Weather and @Irokenics for your amazing videos. Seriously tons of fun to watch and I always learn something useful. 

Great thread, positive vibes!

I'd like to summon my heroes, @Snipafist and @geek19 from the CGYSO blog. Your work gives me (and probably plenty of others) tremendous amount of understanding of the game and  it is executed in an entertaining way! Thank you! 

Also @Green Knight whose blog i found lately, but extremely informative, and I loved "Trials of Konstantine"! 

Thank you all, for doing what you doing!

This game is a drug! 

Every Wednesday I and a friend find ourselves to play it, and if for some reason we skip the appointment we become very sad!

Happy new year to all of you!

Posted (edited)

Thanks to @BrobaFett @emfrank72 @Doppelganger @RikkiP for the chill and fun VAT2018 games. @CaribbeanNinja huge shoutot for hosting this thing alltogether!

Thanks  @Tokra for judging the first tourney I attented, and being such a great help with my failed Leia list :D

Most of all, thanks for this awesome community who never ceases to amaze me with its kindness, willingness to help or the meaningless banter in the discord and on Vassal!

Edited by RealVeers