Xiervak

Wookiee Warriors Article

Having played against the royal loyal guards a few times, I don't feel like the extra wound is an even trade for the poorest defense die in the game.  FFG has tried to keep things some what symmetrical but this added to the exorbitant cost for and extra body (because you really don't want the wookiees sitting around at range 2 shooting, you want them charging.  The bowcaster would be great if you could take it as a single unit upgrade ala strike teams.  But as an add-on to the wookiee unit, its a bit of a slap to the face. 

5 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Having played against the royal loyal guards a few times, I don't feel like the extra wound is an even trade for the poorest defense die in the game.  FFG has tried to keep things some what symmetrical but this added to the exorbitant cost for and extra body (because you really don't want the wookiees sitting around at range 2 shooting, you want them charging.  The bowcaster would be great if you could take it as a single unit upgrade ala strike teams.  But as an add-on to the wookiee unit, its a bit of a slap to the face. 

Reason number 22 why I skipped  these guys

3 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Slap in the face, that seems like an overreaction. I think these units are solid. They don't perfectly mirror the Royal guard as they're a bit punchier at range 1-2. Personally, I'm looking forward to them as a way to counter royal guard/means to punch a hole in frontline defenses.

4 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

They've got similar effective HP, the Wookies caring less about Pierce.

The Bowcaster model also is 3 more wounds and an extra swing in melee, remember, and it's effectively just 10 points (the base squad being 25/model) for the gun.

I think these guys are pretty solid.  They may be the worst defenders in the game, but a full unit has the most health in the game and one of the best attacks.  They're made to be able to get anywhere whether to capture objectives or kill any units anywhere on the board.  I wouldn't rule them out as a bad unit at all anytime soon.  Really looking forward to the walking carpets!

I don't have any expansions but commandos, is this expansion the first time we're getting Recon Intel? I would buy this box just for that upgrade.

Originally, I didn't like the look of the Wookiees, but I feel like they would be fun to play, if you have adequate terrain to maneuver around. I think it's a little odd their squad is so small, but I guess the extra wounds per model offset that.

Do people think the Bowcaster dice are alright? A Red and White? What are the statistics on that compared to 2 Black?

5 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

I don't have any expansions but commandos, is this expansion the first time we're getting Recon Intel? I would buy this box just for that upgrade.

Originally, I didn't like the look of the Wookiees, but I feel like they would be fun to play, if you have adequate terrain to maneuver around. I think it's a little odd their squad is so small, but I guess the extra wounds per model offset that.

Do people think the Bowcaster dice are alright? A Red and White? What are the statistics on that compared to 2 Black?

Yes, this is the first expansion for rebels that have recon intel, it also comes with the royal guards.

The bowcaster will average the same as two blacks, which is alright. The best part about it is that it is both impact and pierce 1 and is range 3

Just now, thepopemobile100 said:

Yes, this is the first expansion for rebels that have recon intel, it also comes with the royal guards.

The bowcaster will average the same as two blacks, which is alright. The best part about it is that it is both impact and pierce 1 and is range 3

Oh okay, cool.

Yeah, the keywords on the Bowcaster are extremely good. I like that upgrade for them, and I don't know that I would run the Wookiees without it. Especially considering you could get a shot in on someone in one action, then possibly charge someone for your second action.

18 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

That red die hits 7/8 times. With pierce 1, impact 1 that’s pretty much as near as it gets to a guaranteed wound on whatever it targets, with the option for a second from the white die 3/8 hits.

13 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Oh okay, cool.

Yeah, the keywords on the Bowcaster are extremely good. I like that upgrade for them, and I don't know that I would run the Wookiees without it. Especially considering you could get a shot in on someone in one action, then possibly charge someone for your second action.

You can only make one attack action per activation. 

Edit: And given that Stormtroopers fire white dice, but use black dice in melee, it actually makes somewhat more sense not to use that second action just for the sake of getting into melee, because they won’t hit as hard when at range. 

Edited by Derrault

54 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

Since we already knew everything about the walking carpets, the article wasn't drop any knowledge bombs. Still nice to have an article, even if it's probably a couple of days before release

If the Spanish FFG site is accurate here (like it has been for the most part), looks like we should expect the Wookies this week. (Thursday for NA I think is the usual?) 

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

If the Spanish FFG site is accurate here (like it has been for the most part), looks like we should expect the Wookies this week. (Thursday for NA I think is the usual?) 

Scheduled delivery date for me is tomorrow. 

Firstly: Kudos for not calling this thread Wookiee Warrior article up. The pattern began to become stale.

And secondly: What is it with the depiction of Bowcasters in STAR WARS gaming? They allways modell/paint/whatever Chewies E-11 based unique bowcaster for the generic Wookiees. This thing is supposed to be one of a kind. More appropriate, because it is the "standard" version, would be the wooden bowcasters depicted in RotS.

I think the bowcaster is awesome, but putting it on a melee unit with Charge and similar type rules, makes it a waste.  It's like having lightsabers on the turret/emplacment figures. If you're sitting around shooting with your wookies, something has gone wrong.  They are their safest and most effective in melee, they are sitting ducks outside of melee. I play on tabletops with a lot of terrain, but most of it is buildings, hills etc, pretty cut and dry LOS or soft cover.  There isn't a lot of difficult terrain. I've never used the barricades, because they look stupid sitting out in the middle of a field.  Maybe I should invest in some tank traps.,

1 hour ago, LennoxPoodle said:

And secondly: What is it with the depiction of Bowcasters in STAR WARS gaming?

Back in my day, we just painted 3 identical lead Chewbacca models and used them as a squad of wookie warriors. If you were the crazy creative guy you'd paint some of them black or grey instead of brown... So, things are looking up in that respect.

Guess I'll be adding these to my Hoth rebels cause they don't need coats.

Edited by TauntaunScout

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

I think the bowcaster is awesome, but putting it on a melee unit with Charge and similar type rules, makes it a waste.  It's like having lightsabers on the turret/emplacment figures. If you're sitting around shooting with your wookies, something has gone wrong.  They are their safest and most effective in melee, they are sitting ducks outside of melee. I play on tabletops with a lot of terrain, but most of it is buildings, hills etc, pretty cut and dry LOS or soft cover.  There isn't a lot of difficult terrain. I've never used the barricades, because they look stupid sitting out in the middle of a field.  Maybe I should invest in some tank traps.,

I agree and it's weird there isn't a meele special weapon wookie to add. Bowcaster is cool and their shooting is not bad, but you're right they should be getting into meele instead of shooting.

I think wookies and other units/upgrades that help navigating the battlefield presses the point that a legion table need varied terrain. Diffirent Heights, difficult terrain, los blocking and both soft and heavy cover.