RCadeGaming

Is this getting an Era Sourcebook?

I know that TFA Beginner Game isn't getting a core rulebook, but with Dawn of Rebellion and Rise of the Separatists, we have two books that explore different SW time periods. The more I thought about it, the more I realized...

After RofS releases, this is really the only time period FFG can still explore. So, does anyone know if this is getting an Era Sourcebook?

Given the lag between when TFA was released and we got the Beginner Box, we probably won't see an era book for the this time frame until at least a year after Episode 9 hits theaters.  Unless things have since changed from when Sam Stewart had said that Lucasfilm doesn't give the FFG crew any special spoiler information on upcoming releases, they (and the freelance writers they use) don't learn what's in the films until it gets released, the same as the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Given the lag between when TFA was released and we got the Beginner Box, we probably won't see an era book for the this time frame until at least a year after Episode 9 hits theaters.  Unless things have since changed from when Sam Stewart had said that Lucasfilm doesn't give the FFG crew any special spoiler information on upcoming releases, they (and the freelance writers they use) don't learn what's in the films until it gets released, the same as the rest of us.

I’m not sure I quite believe that. Granted, the RPG contains more information that could be considered spoilers than a game like X-Wing. That said, FFG had enough lead time to have the X-Wing Force Awakens Core Set on shelves in September, 2015 (two months before the movie), the U-wing and TIE Striker on shelves the day before Rogue One opened, and the Resistance bomber and TIE Silencer in stores a week before The Last Jedi was on screens. That’s not taking into account that, had Dawn of Rebellion released on time, it would have come out around the time of the fourth season premiere of Rebels and contained a great deal of info from season 3, which would have been ongoing during the book’s production.

Other licensees that need lead time seem to get it (Del Rey books comes to mind, with DK being something of an odd duck, as their entries tend to be written by members of the LFL story group itself - mostly Pablo - but staff at the publisher would still need to be looped in.)

Maybe they do keep a tighter rein on what’s made available to the RPG team in particular, but that just seems odd. Not only does it single out one sub-group of one licensee, but it eliminates the ability for that licensee (and, by extension, LFL) to capitalize on the same sort of promotional synergy that other licensees can (including a different group within FFG itself). 

9 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

I’m not sure I quite believe that. Granted, the RPG contains more information that could be considered spoilers than a game like X-Wing. That said, FFG had enough lead time to have the X-Wing Force Awakens Core Set on shelves in September, 2015 (two months before the movie), the U-wing and TIE Striker on shelves the day before Rogue One opened, and the Resistance bomber and TIE Silencer in stores a week before The Last Jedi was on screens. That’s not taking into account that, had Dawn of Rebellion released on time, it would have come out around the time of the fourth season premiere of Rebels and contained a great deal of info from season 3, which would have been ongoing during the book’s production.

Other licensees that need lead time seem to get it (Del Rey books comes to mind, with DK being something of an odd duck, as their entries tend to be written by members of the LFL story group itself - mostly Pablo - but staff at the publisher would still need to be looped in.)

Maybe they do keep a tighter rein on what’s made available to the RPG team in particular, but that just seems odd. Not only does it single out one sub-group of one licensee, but it eliminates the ability for that licensee (and, by extension, LFL) to capitalize on the same sort of promotional synergy that other licensees can (including a different group within FFG itself). 

I would hazard to guess that the reason for LFL not wanting FFG to have the information and producing a source book beforehand is because an RPG supplement needs to be play tested before release. This means that there would be members of the "general public" (in the form of play-testers), not just the licensee proper and its contracted content creators, with knowledge of the events of the movie before the movie's release. 

1 hour ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I would hazard to guess that the reason for LFL not wanting FFG to have the information and producing a source book beforehand is because an RPG supplement needs to be play tested before release. This means that there would be members of the "general public" (in the form of play-testers), not just the licensee proper and its contracted content creators, with knowledge of the events of the movie before the movie's release. 

Fair point. Hadn’t considered that angle. While acknowledging the difference of scale between an animated (ostensibly for kids) series and a major blockbuster movie, DoR play testers would have had some Rebels season 3 material previewed. I’m sure X-Wing is play tested, too. And I wouldn’t want to be someone violating an NDA with the weight of Disney lawyers behind it.

Edited by Nytwyng

Based on an interview with some of the folks who worked on DoR. They basically had to use trailers and image stills for anything that wasn't live to the general public to extrapolate information. Alot of the Rogue One writing was based on trailers, and nothing of Rebels season 3 made it in to a book that wasn't from a preview.