Sign in to follow this  
sndwurks

Aesthetic of Game Play - Review of L5R RPG by Dave of the Five Rings

@sndwurks you are talented with words. i used your "story recap so far" for my players and it's been a great help for them. i was looking for a similar recap for the "world/setting" like the sun and moon story and very brief description of major events but i didn't find anything as concise and well written as yours for the fiction recap.

27 minutes ago, Avatar111 said:

@sndwurks you are talented with words. i used your "story recap so far" for my players and it's been a great help for them. i was looking for a similar recap for the "world/setting" like the sun and moon story and very brief description of major events but i didn't find anything as concise and well written as yours for the fiction recap.

Honestly, the opening 20 pages from the Core Rules is good for that. It captures the main points of the world. Emerald Empire also has a "timeline in brief" at its start.

I felt that in previous editions the lore part of the core rule book tended to be too oppressive for a new player.  Though to be fair they had a lot more ground to cover than in this edition.  I really liked what they had in this book.  It's much easier to hand to someone completely new to L5R.  It was a clever and entertaining way to present Rokugan's creation mythology.   Also I really liked the subtle tweak with Togashi at the end.  As the Last Province podcast pointed out it really does the Dragon clan a great service in framing their entire clan's purpose.

Edited by phillos

3 hours ago, JasonMFlow said:

@sndworks Small note, the Beta came out in October 2017, not March 2018.  Not a huge problem, just thought you'd want to fix that.

You are correct! I will toss that to the editor.

Edited by sndwurks