Greenknight08

Received scanned decks from Barnes & Nobel

Hey Gang,

Yesterday I bought two decks from Barnes and Noble and opened the first one and scanned it, it did not give me an amber shard. Next I took a quick video of opening the next deck which was sealed. I scanned it and the same thing happened, no amber shard was awarded. One of the decks is really bad, is there anything I can do?

How do I go about reporting this to FFG? 

6 minutes ago, Greenknight08 said:

Hey Gang,

Yesterday I bought two decks from Barnes and Noble and opened the first one and scanned it, it did not give me an amber shard. Next I took a quick video of opening the next deck which was sealed. I scanned it and the same thing happened, no amber shard was awarded. One of the decks is really bad, is there anything I can do?

How do I go about reporting this to FFG? 

Interesting.  Was it at a store or online?

The route is under the More page > Contact > then either email them at https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/customer-service/ or call them toll free at 855-382-8880 between 9AM-5PM CST (-6:00 GMT).

8 minutes ago, Greenknight08 said:

Yes the packaging was 100% sealed, I bet they opened the bottom, searched the decks, scanned out the aember and resealed for sale. 

I kind of doubt B&N did that, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone bought and returned them to B&N.

I totally looked the decks over prior to purchase and could not tell that they had been tampered with either. I wonder how long it is before we start seeing a little tamper proof sticker to prevent this?

I was robbed of Aember and good decks. Dash it all! 

31 minutes ago, Greenknight08 said:

I totally looked the decks over prior to purchase and could not tell that they had been tampered with either. I wonder how long it is before we start seeing a little tamper proof sticker to prevent this?

I was very surprised to see the initial run NOT have some tamper proof sticker added.  The fact that there are people in the hobby that will do this kind of thing to get an edge has been around longer than the TCG genre has existed.  But staying in the hobby, MtG players were thumbing cards around inside the packs because you could see through the tops and read the card names without opening the pack.  You could farm the good rares with just a little patience.  

When the WOW TCG had the rainbow tiger promo mount (or whatever it was) in packs that could be redeemed in the MMO and was being sold on eBay for $150+, I know someone who worked at a now defunct shop that opened every product and resealed it with shrink-wrap.

I say know.  I really mean I met someone after-the-fact whom I would happily run over with a forklift, but the story still stands.

2 hours ago, Greenknight08 said:

As someone who has looked into this for an optical illusion I made in college, there is no such thing as a tamper proof sticker. Unfortunately the random nature of this hobby makes it so there is no cost effective way to prevent people from taking actions that allow them to filter for valuable decks. Their best option might be making the bottom of the deck boxes match the top.

4 minutes ago, Revert said:

As someone who has looked into this for an optical illusion I made in college, there is no such thing as a tamper proof sticker. Unfortunately the random nature of this hobby makes it so there is no cost effective way to prevent people from taking actions that allow them to filter for valuable decks. Their best option might be making the bottom of the deck boxes match the top.

There would be no question if someone had opened the deck or not if the bottom was set up like the top. Let the perforation rip and call it good. I like it. 

3 minutes ago, Revert said:

Or just package the cards so that the QR code isn't visible while the deck is still sealed in plastic.

I would have just included the following, which is one additional card.

• 36 card deck
  • Archon card with Chain Tracker on the reverse.
  • Deck list card with QR code on the reverse.

Leave the Archon visible on one side of the sealed deck and the Deck List visible on the other side.

2 hours ago, Greenknight08 said:

I see how you lost out on some aember.  How were you robbed of good decks?  Presumably you still got the decks.

3 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

I see how you lost out on some aember.  How were you robbed of good decks?  Presumably you still got the decks.

Yes I got the decks, and I also got the decks that the original owner or unscrupulous employee thumbed through and determined they were not good enough. This deck (https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/51cc0e08-88a7-4f12-bcc4-af2d144b3c57) does not seem to have good synergy. Look at the 2 full moons and only 3 creatures in Untamed for example. It feels like maybe someone opened a box or more, scanned everything for Aember and kept the "good" decks and returned the chaffe. It just feels like I got someone else's leftovers versus the opportunity to get my own plate. 

22 minutes ago, Greenknight08 said:

Yes I got the decks, and I also got the decks that the original owner or unscrupulous employee thumbed through and determined they were not good enough. This deck (https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/51cc0e08-88a7-4f12-bcc4-af2d144b3c57) does not seem to have good synergy. Look at the 2 full moons and only 3 creatures in Untamed for example. It feels like maybe someone opened a box or more, scanned everything for Aember and kept the "good" decks and returned the chaffe. It just feels like I got someone else's leftovers versus the opportunity to get my own plate. 

Gotcha.  Sounds like an assumption to me.  It's just as likely that someone opened all the decks, scanned them and them put them all back.  Live and learn.  Don't buy Keyforge from BN again.  Buy from a local gaming store where you're also likely to find a gaming community?

1 minute ago, KrisWall said:

Gotcha.  Sounds like an assumption to me.  It's just as likely that someone opened all the decks, scanned them and them put them all back.  Live and learn.  Don't buy Keyforge from BN again.  Buy from a local gaming store where you're also likely to find a gaming community?

I'm guessing they bought them at barnes because they were sold out everywhere else.

1 minute ago, KrisWall said:

Yeah for sure, I LOVE my FLGS and buy decks from them and B&N (nice to have the discount). However not worth the "used" decks so back to my trusty FLGS going forward for all purchases. I can trust them. 

1 minute ago, Greenknight08 said:

Yeah for sure, I LOVE my FLGS and buy decks from them and B&N (nice to have the discount). However not worth the "used" decks so back to my trusty FLGS going forward for all purchases. I can trust them. 

Makes sense.  Definitely sucks.  If you don't like the decks, definitely return them to BN.  You didn't get what you paid for.  The aember scan is part of the purchase.

Be aware some big-box retailers do not allow for returns on "collectable" products like Magic in particular. I hope its not the case for you. Though FFG should be able to narrow down the account of who snagged the deck on their end.

I doubt B&N even knows why it's important to identify returned Keyforge product.

I'd take it back to the store and explain it to them so they don't continue to get scammed.  Someone else is going to get burnt by this for sure.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

1 minute ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I doubt B&N even knows why it's important to identify returned Keyforge product.

If take it back to the store and explain it to them so they don't continue to get scammed.  Someone else is going to get burnt by this for sure.

Oh snap! There were at least 3 more decks available there yesterday. I need to contact the store still as well. 

4 minutes ago, Greenknight08 said:

Oh snap! There were at least 3 more decks available there yesterday. I need to contact the store still as well. 

You're lucky.  I just checked the website and not a single BN within 100 miles of where I live (busy mid atlantic east coast US) carries the decks in stock.  The look online only where I am.

7 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Makes sense.  Definitely sucks.  If you don't like the decks, definitely return them to BN.  You didn't get what you paid for.  The aember scan is part of the purchase.

Fantasy Flight Games seems to have excellent customer service. I actually got a response back when I altered them to this. Here is what I was told:

"Keyforge Bug Reports <kfbugreports@fantasyflightgames.com> wrote:

Hi Zach!

It is entirely possible your decks were “stolen” or they could also be some of a small number of decks that are bugged and don’t give aember upon registration. Either way you should still be able to register the decks to your account (which it sounds like you did) and use them in both casual and tournament play. Also, I can go into your account and manually give you the 2 aembershards, I’ll just need your MasterVault username.

We are aware of the problem of people scanning and resealing decks and have a few ideas on how to solve the problem. As you said, redesigning the deck boxes is one such idea! I can’t guarantee when you’ll start seeing these changes (given our production schedule) but it’s on our list! In the meantime, you may want to alert your local retailer and let them know about the problem.

Thank you for the email,

Andrew Janeba

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Fantasy Flight Games

1975 County Rd B2 West

Roseville, MN 55113"

I love the fact that FFG is going to do something about this problem (at some point). 

Great customer service to get me the shards, I need to talk to the local store to advise of the issue still. I wounder if they would take the decks back for a refund as I got "used" product... 

Seems like only a week ago I was agreeing that this could be an issue, while @10Ten and @WonderWAAAGH mocked me for saying it was all but impossible and the odds of it occurring were next to nothing.  I guess a major retailer is what 10Ten would consider a Shadey McShadeypants.  Also a shame you din;t have his legendary nose, which can sniff out glue long after it has cured.

That really does suck.  I know my wife purchased there for our Nephew.  My Mother-In-Law paid $20 a deck on Amazon because she didn't know better, I hope those are untampered at least.  Obviously this isn't B&N opening, it is someone buying, opening at home, then returning them.  I still stand by the opinion that while FFG is not responsible for the actions of others, a die which perfs the box making it more difficult to open and cleanly reseal, and a black box on the wrapper making the scanning of in-the-cellophane decks impossible would be nice.