Turtlefan2082

Unofficial cancellation false alarm

Of course, you're free to speculate and spread fomo, just don't try to make it pass for sound information. People may believe you have privileged information when it's not the case, just your wild guess based on typical delays or upcoming states.  I hope no one is rushing out there to get scammed for the novels based on your "unofficial cancellation" claim. It certainly would be very sad. I'll make sure to come back here and look for your apology once the novellas come back in stock, or new ones are announced.

I own a small tabletop game store. Speaking to my contacts at the exclusive distributor for FFG (Alliance), the word is they've been told the books will be reprinted but FFG has given them no word on when that might be. As to the possibility of future new novellas, nothing at all has been said.

It bears noting however, that FFG products have been experiencing shipping delays for United States releases. Some of the boats from China have faced weather problems, and apparently what with the various tariffs going on once the boats do arrive it's taking quite a bit longer than expected to clear their cargo through US customs. The second wave of X-wing 2nd edition miniatures were delayed almost two months because of this, for instance.

So while it's great more copies of the novellas are showing up around the globe, that doesn't mean they will be imminently available in the USA.

But who knows; products have shown up suddenly before, when no one knew to expect them. So one can hope.

Edited by JohnGarrison1870

I wish the upcoming page were reliable that way. It does mean that somebody at FFG once anticipated that they would be reprinted. But I think there's plenty of other evidence that the reprints are in fact accomplished. What's murkier is whether there will be more in the future, but these seem to have been a pretty clear success, so it seems likely--even if it takes a year or two to complete authoring and editorial work. Remember, these books apply to the whole Arkham Files product line, so even if they EOL the Card Game (not for a long while, I'd wager), there will still be a market, and they could include promos for some other game that they are trying to bootstrap.

The novellas I'd most like to see: Kate, Luke, Patrice, Bob, Agatha.

3 hours ago, Carthoris said:

I wish the upcoming page were reliable that way. It does mean that somebody at FFG once anticipated that they would be reprinted. But I think there's plenty of other evidence that the reprints are in fact accomplished. What's murkier is whether there will be more in the future, but these seem to have been a pretty clear success, so it seems likely--even if it takes a year or two to complete authoring and editorial work. Remember, these books apply to the whole Arkham Files product line, so even if they EOL the Card Game (not for a long while, I'd wager), there will still be a market, and they could include promos for some other game that they are trying to bootstrap.

The novellas I'd most like to see: Kate, Luke, Patrice, Bob, Agatha.

For me: Patrice, Sefina, Darrel, Gloria, Kate, Carson, Diana

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

For me: Patrice, Sefina, Darrel, Gloria, Kate, Carson, Diana

For me: Daisy, Diana, "Ashcan", Agnes, Tommy, Wendy, Finn (just because of the bootlegging), Jim, Mark (but only if they can properly portray WWI), Ursula

Especially the first 3.

One thing to keep in mind, FFG hates excess inventory. So they almost always error on the side of under producing for demand. Books are hard to gauge how well they will sell, so they don't print many of them. This is also something that is hard to get game stores to stock, so any excess inventory really piles up since they can't just dump them onto stores. This means those books are always going to be awaiting reprinting, with small batches trickling out throughout the world wide market, until they start collecting excess inventory, all be it small since they are very careful. It is frustrating as customers to put up with this but it is smart on FFG's part since these books really are a niche product. Keep in mind Q4 is hard to get anything new ordered for production since it is the Holiday shopping season and then you run right into Chinese New Year. There is this black whole form October to April where not much happens that hasn't already been set in motion months earlier. So basically, you probably won't get one of these books until April unless FFG manages to get them printed up in January.

If they view the books as a niche product, why the frak do they insist on putting promo versions of characters in there that you can't get elsewhere?

At least with the L5R books, the included cards are just alt-art cards, so you're not missing out mechanically if you can't find them...

I assume the difference for L5R is because it's a competitive game, so access to different cards would be unfair to gameplay. No such issue since the unique cards in question are simply the replacement signature cards, the game is co-op, and the investigators will be printed in the normal game releases eventually. Also the books are an ongoing and normal product so while they may be difficult to find, they are not a limited product in that sense.

The promo versions of the characters are just "alternate art," which is the path they've taken with organized play promo cards also. I think it admirably cuts the difference between offering exclusives for incentives and not denying the larger market the corresponding ingredients of game play. In some cases they are advanced releases, also comparable to the effect of the preliminary release of a scenario through organized play events.

The "replacement" signature cards are a more genuine gripe, I suppose. I will note, though, that for every case we can observe so far, the "replacements" are strictly inferior to the general release cards in terms of game play desirability.

Edited by Carthoris

On 12/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, Carthoris said:

for every case we can observe so far, the "replacements" are strictly inferior to the general release cards in terms of game play desirability

While I agree that the official signature cards for Carolyn are strictly better than Foolishness and To fight the black wind, I'd make a case for Jenny and especially Roland (now that we have lots of weapons) having a way better replacement signature than the original (their weakness is not as punishing as the original). As for Marie, Silas, and Norman, we don't know yet anything about the original cards but their name, but to me, Silas skills are useful, fun and interesting to play, and I find Norman interesting in a two player game: the ability to control 50% of the mythos deck and an easy enemy to dispatch by a guardian come in handy. As for Marie, I've never played her, so although I think the Baron may be useful to activate her ability, now that we have more cards that add doom at will, I don't think her replacement signature will be bonkers when compared to the original. 

TL;DR: although they're definitely not a must, unfortunately most of the replacement signature cards are very desirable to me, YMMV (lucky you!).

13 minutes ago, Soakman said:

^ I agree with Freeman, but wanted to note for clarity that Marie was a promo character and not a replacement, so the cards that we know about are the same as what we will get with The Circle Undone.

Uhoh, I didn't know that... Mild disappointment, then. 

On 12/23/2018 at 1:14 AM, arkham12 said:

FYI the books have just been reprinted.

How do I know that?

Well, the first batch of the books was printed in the US, as shown on the back covers; but the latest batch, which is available now in Europe, is printed in China.

😏

04041.jpg

4 hours ago, Soakman said:

^ I agree with Freeman, but wanted to note for clarity that Marie was a promo character and not a replacement, so the cards that we know about are the same as what we will get with The Circle Undone.

Have you got a source for that, Soakman?

I mean, the Mystic we've had previewed for The Circle Undone is Diana Stanley, not Marie, and is accompanied by Joe Diamond (Seeker), Preston Fairmont (Rogue), Carolyn Fern (Guardian) & Rita Young (Survivor), and I've not seen anything indicating Marie will be included in addition to these.

19 minutes ago, dysartes said:

Have you got a source for that, Soakman?

I mean, the Mystic we've had previewed for The Circle Undone is Diana Stanley, not Marie, and is accompanied by Joe Diamond (Seeker), Preston Fairmont (Rogue), Carolyn Fern (Guardian) & Rita Young (Survivor), and I've not seen anything indicating Marie will be included in addition to these.

She was spoiled on a Spanish website selling the product, we could see her picture. 

16 minutes ago, Goshiu said:

It was in Game Trade Magazine. There was an ad for Circle Undone and it showed Rational Thought and Baron Samedi among other cards

Yes, along with a Spanish site that listed six investigator cards among the contents of the deluxe.

Doing a second Mystic Investigator as part of this deluxe seems a very weird choice - the only time so far we've had six investigators instead of five was when we gained a "neutral" Investigator in Lola.

Methinks I'll wait for FFG to say something about this, or until I've got the box in my hands.

13 minutes ago, dysartes said:

Doing a second Mystic Investigator as part of this deluxe seems a very weird choice - the only time so far we've had six investigators instead of five was when we gained a "neutral" Investigator in Lola.

Methinks I'll wait for FFG to say something about this, or until I've got the box in my hands.

It has been confirmed by the magazine and it's in the massive The Circle Undone thread, outlining all the evidence for it. You don't have to believe us, of course, but we do know it to be the case now. In terms of it being weird: I completely agree, but there's precedent for Matt Newman trying new and different things. In The Path to Carcosa we got 6 investigators, as you noted. We already know there are 'prologue' characters for The Circle Undone. He likes to shake things up! 

On the novellas: something I've not yet seen mentioned here is that the story editor at FFG left just under 12 months ago and wasn't replaced directly. While that meant the keeping of the lore bibles for FFG's various IPs just passed to other members of the relevant story teams, for things like the fiction associated with any given line there were delays, and there was no one inhouse actively working to commission new novellas. Hence the silence, hence the uncertainty. I'm not sure if we can make any estimates for whether there'll be more novellas imminently, but fortunately that's immaterial when it comes to whether they'll reprint the first five (they will).