Turtlefan2082

Unofficial cancellation false alarm

28 minutes ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

With no movement on the novellas what so ever, it's safe to say that the books are cancelled and FFG are dragging their feet to remove the products from the website.

Is it really? I would find this hard to believe. They seem to sell quite well just from observation. Or at least I should say there is a lot of DEMAND. People may not be buying them because they are hard to get without direct ordering from FFG which has high shipping prices.

I too find this hard to believe.  I hold to another point of view: the books sold much better than expected.  Perhaps to the point where they hadn't lined up future product offerings.  As such, they are waiting to re-offer the older items until such time as they can also bring out new content.  Something along the lines of "We've lined up some new content but it will take some time, in the meantime we've reprinted the older stuff".

3 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

If that is true, then how do you explain the Hour of the Huntress being stuck on the boat for 6 months.  I can believe the other books stuck in reprint limbo, but Huntress stuck on the boat?

FFG has had problems before with the Upcoming page not being correct for items.  In this case, perhaps Huntress was updated to on the boat when it should have stayed at awaiting reprint.

Edited by ricedwlit
Additional clarification.

8 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

If that is true, then how do you explain the Hour of the Huntress being stuck on the boat for 6 months.  I can believe the other books stuck in reprint limbo, but Huntress stuck on the boat?

Are you going to open a thread to apologize for spreading rumors and fomo when you're proven wrong? Because that's exactly what you're doing here, based on nothing but your own fantasy.

The novellas sell at light speed, as you've been told twice in this thread, so there's no sense in canceling them, let alone doing so without an official announcement. 

What nobody's talking about is that those books were produced a year ago.

There would have been more action since then if they were going to continue.

I do think they decided not to follow them up, even though they sold well.

I'm not happy about it, but it happened. We'll have to get over it.

4 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

I just see that they seem to be going on Ebay for 30$+shipping, without promo cards. 

Really?  What's the point?  You can buy the fiction from Amazon or DriveThruFiction for $3.99/ea.  Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed the three I've read (The Deep Gate, Ire of the Void, & The Dirge of Reason), and encourage anyone who hasn't to read them, but are the hardcover w/ glossy pages (at the back) really worth it?

1 hour ago, Antimarkovnikov said:

Where did you purchase them from?

Through vengefulgames.dk

They are also in stock some other places. There's an overview here: https://braetspilspriser.dk/item/search?search=Arkham+horror+the+card+game

(You'll probably need to use a translator).

I figure that there are more novellas coming, but given how quickly the first set sold out, FFG has extended the editorial schedule on further volumes, knowing there are still plenty of books to sell in a second printing of the initial releases. Those reprints are just now starting to reach their release dates.

Note that it costs (somebody) money to maintain inventory (at FFG, distributor, and/or retailer), so the reprints do in fact displace the new releases.

6 hours ago, jjvreed said:

What nobody's talking about is that those books were produced a year ago.

There would have been more action since then if they were going to continue.

I do think they decided not to follow them up, even though they sold well.

Or it's possible that since it was a new product direction for them and an experiment, they waited to see how they did before commissioning another wave of books.  A year to contract, write, edit, print, and ship is not the least bit unrealistic.

Remember also that these books didn't generally have the long lead time of most FFG products.  Hour of the Huntress shipped a week after they announced it.

9 hours ago, Freeman said:

there's no sense in canceling them, let alone doing so without an official announcement. 

And just for completeness, we really can't assume them.  The novellas are not an ongoing product line, I think it's fairly long odds that we'd get a "We're not making any more of these" announcement.

They really are Schrodinger's Novellas at this point.  Maybe we're getting more, maybe we're not, but there is literally zero evidence either way other than that the first run did pretty well.

19 minutes ago, the.labyrinth.king said:

I had all the books (except Hour of the Huntress wich i already had) pre-ordered. They're all marked as shipped for me as of yesterday. 
Ordered from https://www.alltpaettkort.se/ (Swedish site).
Seems like they got about 10 of each copy in. 

How did you get them to ship to the US?  And how much was the shipping?

4 minutes ago, the.labyrinth.king said:

I live in Sweden so that wasn't a problem for me. 🙂
But if this tiny shop got them restocked i'm guessing they will show up at most retailers quite soon. 

HA! That does make it easier.  I guess I'll just be patient and wait for it to show up in the states sometime soon. :)

I managed to get one of each.. but it did cost me about 6 months to find them. I really got them from everywhere.. a online shop from denmark.. ebay canada.. it was quite the ride and i don't want to sum up the total cost :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Freeman said:

Are you going to open a thread to apologize for spreading rumors and fomo when you're proven wrong? Because that's exactly what you're doing here, based on nothing but your own fantasy.

The novellas sell at light speed, as you've been told twice in this thread, so there's no sense in canceling them, let alone doing so without an official announcement. 

Considering the books aren't available on domestic web stores, including FFG site, nor are they can be found in brick and mortar lgs, I will apologize the moment I learn Hour of the Huntress is available to order from the FFG site.

17 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

Considering the books aren't available on domestic web stores, including FFG site, nor are they can be found in brick and mortar lgs, I will apologize the moment I learn Hour of the Huntress is available to order from the FFG site.

Cheers to that. Being unavailable for a longtime doesn't automatically equate cancelled, especially considering that FFG has dozens and dozens of products to produce and reprint, and the books are not a priority for any line of products, it's more like a luxury. On a related note, the status in the upcoming section is not a real status, more like a broad estimation of time, and usually doesn't update according to the real state of the product. For instance, someone in Australia got Return to the Dunwich Legacy in a store, by mistake, when it was "officially" still "in development". As Take That sang, have a little patience... Writing "unofficial cancellation" in a thread is misleading.