GreenDragoon

The RZ-2 A-Wing

57 minutes ago, AlexW said:

True, with no upgrades, though I think he wants to invest more in them than L'ulo.

He actually doesn't need them. Just point the turret backwards, and he flies not all that unlike L'ulo, except that he's tougher, never needs to rotate, doesn't get stressed, but also only fires two forward and is slighly less mobile. You might consider Trick Shot, Elusive or Fanatical, or maybe an FCS, but he's perfectly decent naked.

In fact I find that is true of all the non-Quickdraw SFs. Initially you might think that the SF Gunner is an autoinclude, but it really isn't. That ship is a surprisingly open platform.

7 minutes ago, Okapi said:

He actually doesn't need them. Just point the turret backwards, and he flies not all that unlike L'ulo, except that he's tougher, never needs to rotate, doesn't get stressed, but also only fires two forward and is slighly less mobile. You might consider Trick Shot, Elusive or Fanatical, or maybe an FCS, but he's perfectly decent naked.

In fact I find that is true of all the non-Quickdraw SFs. Initially you might think that the SF Gunner is an autoinclude, but it really isn't. That ship is a surprisingly open platform.

I knew this would be a response, and I do realize that, but having played both I find the maneuverability and action efficiency of Lu to be a big factor, especially when the necessity of a rear arc to maintain firepower means that you are moving away from your target. Lu can use either equally effectively.

Edited by AlexW

My experience with the A-Wings so far:

-Tallie is amazing. She's dirt cheap and her ability actually works, because (unlike with more impactful bullseye abilities) noone actually tries to stop it from happening. I used her both as a cheap attacker and a coordinate bot and was quite satisfied with the outcome in both cases.

-Greer and Zari's abilities are surprisingly useful. While the former is likely still not worth it due to low PS and being more expensive than Tallie, I have a gut feeling Zari will find use as a coordinate bot repeatedly intentionally bumping into a friendly large ship at some point.

-The RZ-2s are very fun to fly, though the lack of white rotate does get annoying at times.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:16 PM, Maui. said:

I can tell you in my experience that I very rarely use the red moves. In fact, I rarely use the white moves (though obviously a lot more than the red). The dial is SO VERY BLUE and my A-wings are almost always stressed once battle is joined.

I can tell you this: the number of times I've actually executed a red maneuver on an RZ-2 is probably pretty close to the number of times I've intentionally dialed in a red maneuver on my stressed L'ulo in order to execute a white non-turn maneuver. (I have done this exactly once.) I can't believe I'm saying this, but with L'ulo there are actually times when there is too much blue on the RZ-2's dial. EVERY SINGLE STRAIGHT AND BANK IS BLUE. More than half of the dial is blue. God I love these things

FYI, intentionally dialing in a red maneuver while you're stressed is explicitly against the rules. (Though dialing in a red and then stressing yourself via, say, coordinate is OK).

(Rulebook, page 7: "A stressed ship cannot set or execute red maneuvers, and it cannot perform actions." And yes, this is dumb. :P)

My FLGS finally got wave 2 last night (Alliance gave them a hard time). 

Lu'lo is the A-Wing I've always wanted.  I found it challenging and rewarding to fly, feels great dialing in a 5 straight and focus>boost for a 4 dice range 1 shot then hooking to the side Focus>rotate and take another 3 or 4 dice shot.  A-Wings have always been my favorite Rebel ship in X-Wing, but the RZ-2 has taken the cake.

I included Poe in the list, so my opponents keyed in on him and Lu'lo and a bomber just went to work.

19 hours ago, AlexW said:

but I also bumped her into my own ships and still get a focus for mods while still keeping me close enough to get a rear shot.

That self bump can be really powerful when you just want to rotate your arc but not go 2 forward. Bump focus rotate

This is how I picture Zari flying, just not giving a ****

tenor.gif

I got a few games in with L'ulo. He is quite impressive, getting many range 1 four dice shots, and a few trickshot 4 dicers. For 40pts, he put in the work in every game. That rear turret is sweet, as you dont have to do the obvious "2-Sharp" toward the enemy. I was head on joust with Sabine and instead of dialing in a 2 straight and possibly being blocked, I went with a 3 bank (how sweet is that being blue!!) away from the action with no chance getting blocked, flying by sabine and rotating arc to the rear for a range 2 shot. Love flanking with L'ulo + trickshot. Can speed on the outside, cut inside and get a 4 dice shot, and is high enough initiative and fast enough to get away from the enemy. And only 40pts, crazy. Resistance Soontir. Heroic hasnt triggered on L'ulo or Poe in 5 games :( Might go with trickshot and crackshot/predator on L'ulo just to up his damage potential. I want as much damage as possible from this 40pt wonder.

4 hours ago, wurms said:

Heroic hasnt triggered on L'ulo or Poe in 5 games :( Might go with trickshot and crackshot/predator on L'ulo just to up his damage potential. I want as much damage as possible from this 40pt wonder.

I look at it like Heroic is a safety net.  If it's not triggering, that either means you are flying well and not taking shots or your dice are holding up on their own.   I don't think Heroic is a card that is going to win you games, but I think it can prevent them from going downhill due to variance (at least to some extent).

2 hours ago, AlexW said:

I look at it like Heroic is a safety net.  If it's not triggering, that either means you are flying well and not taking shots or your dice are holding up on their own.   I don't think Heroic is a card that is going to win you games, but I think it can prevent them from going downhill due to variance (at least to some extent).

Ya, i have heroic on Poe just for that reason. think i will switch for a few games and if heroic would trigger and save me just once in the next 5 games, I will switch back. I think I can get crackshot off at least 3 outta 5 games with L'ulo, so that might be better in the long run.

7 hours ago, AlexW said:

I have had heroic save me from 2- 4 dice shots in 1 game, it was glorious.

Update on my quest to acquire 5 RZ2 AWings...

#1 Bought myself

#2 Traded my destiny cards with a friend

#3 Won a kit tournament and used prize store credit 

#4 Acquired through main LGS store credit via multiple XWing night payouts

#5 Pending.....

Edited by RStan

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

Both 34 points.  There's no power creep, though.

I'm more surprised by Tallie though. She gets a relatively useful ability and IN5 for a single point more? It's one point cheaper than Arvel Crynd ffs! And Jake is on 40, without rear arc and without double talent.

The points of the RZ2 are all messed up. I really hope the correct call is to lower the RZ1, not to increase RZ2...

20 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I'm more surprised by Tallie though. She gets a relatively useful ability and IN5 for a single point more? It's one point cheaper than Arvel Crynd ffs! And Jake is on 40, without rear arc and without double talent.

The points of the RZ2 are all messed up. I really hope the correct call is to lower the RZ1, not to increase RZ2...

That is absolutely the correct call.

Let's just hope FFG realizes that.

3 hours ago, SOTL said:

I think they'll leave them both where they are.

I think they will, but we'll probably (hopefully?) see an adjustment when the A-wing is re-released.  I feel like they are more tuned into the releases than they are the full kits.

In other news, I just realized the quickbuild card for Zari has Outmaneuver🙄

10 minutes ago, AlexW said:

In other news, I just realized the quickbuild card for Zari has Outmaneuver🙄

Did we all get it wrong?

The correct wording if they wanted it to work would have been "If the defender is in your [forward facing arc]..."

Currently it simply doesn't work. Right?

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

Did we all get it wrong?

The correct wording if they wanted it to work would have been "If the defender is in your [forward facing arc]..."

That's how I read it.  The RAwing doesn't have a "forward firing arc" attack.    They may not have intended it to work that way, but that is how it reads == and pretty clearly.

15 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

According to the FAQ, it doesn't, apparently:

http://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.wikia.com/wiki/Arc

FAQ

Q: Can ships that only use Icon arc single turret or Icon arc full front attacks use effects that require the ship to perform a Icon arc standard front attack? (i.e. Fearless, Outmaneuver)

A: No. Note the differences between the requirement of Fearless:

“While you perform a Icon arc standard front primary attack…”

and Punishing One:

“While you perform a primary attack, if the defender is in your Icon arc standard front…”

Edited by Ironlord

4 hours ago, SOTL said:

I think they'll leave them both where they are.

And thus the Rebel A-wing will remain irrelevant.

I really want to know why they removed the double EPT of all things. It’s not like there is any particularly good ones out there. I just hope they fix it, because the A-wing is one of my favorite ships but it is utter trash.

Edited by millertime059

2 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

And thus the Rebel A-wing will remain irrelevant.

I really want to know why they removed the double EPT of all things. It’s not like there is any particularly good ones out there. I just hope they fix it, because the A-wing is one of my favorite ships but it is utter trash.

Faction identity, to help Rebel and Resistance lists feel different.