manoftomorrow010

My Terrain Builds (Updated with new project)

Just now, Lemmiwinks86 said:

It looks really AWESOME!!

How did you make that water? it even reflects, it's great

I did a lot of research into the name brand stuff and was constantly afraid to buy a product at their prices. My mother-in-law just finished a model train project at the same time and told me she made a pond out of basic medium from the art store.

So I went to Michael's and found the Liquitex gloss medium. It pours out in a thick, white-looking liquid that looks almost exactly like basic PVA glue. But it dries clear. I flubbed it and didn't make a good enough rim around the water area, so it ran out and over part of the landscape that I just covered with flock and stuff (there's portion of the grass that looks reflective in that lower-left corner LOL).

It takes at least 12+ hours to fully dry solid. Make sure it's on a solid/level surface!

On 2/11/2019 at 10:54 AM, manoftomorrow010 said:

I did a lot of research into the name brand stuff and was constantly afraid to buy a product at their prices. My mother-in-law just finished a model train project at the same time and told me she made a pond out of basic medium from the art store.

So I went to Michael's and found the Liquitex gloss medium. It pours out in a thick, white-looking liquid that looks almost exactly like basic PVA glue. But it dries clear. I flubbed it and didn't make a good enough rim around the water area, so it ran out and over part of the landscape that I just covered with flock and stuff (there's portion of the grass that looks reflective in that lower-left corner LOL).

It takes at least 12+ hours to fully dry solid. Make sure it's on a solid/level surface!

Great work so far! 

Liquitex is brilliant stuff. I have made a number of great ponds and other water features using it, like Lizardmen spawning pools for Warhammer. Well worth the investment. You can mix ink in and make for a ‘scummy’ or ‘muddy’ water feature as well. I love it.

Here's the 2nd area piece! I didn't like the dark green heavy ground cover I used in the Escape Pod piece, so I skipped that and decided to use a lot more bushes/clump foliage, along with more downed logs and of course, put some trees in. I may add trees to the Escape Pod piece. Glue and everything is still drying in these pics :) Also, I haven't poured the water yet, either.

20190217_170548

20190217_170340

20190217_170327

Posted (edited)

Rising from the grave like...well, never mind.

I started this table project last year. And, due to time and the cold, dead winter of Colorado, I put it on the shelf (er in my shed) until I said, there's no excuse left to just gluing stuff to a board!

Here is my table-topper. As I don't have a table large enough in my house to fit a full 6 x 3 playing surface, I made this out of a sheet of MDF from a hardware store. They machine cut it (but, LOL the machine absolutely did not cut in straight lines), into pieces for me. I measured out a buffer zone and glued down (with some standard wood glue) the cork pieces, cut up from 12x12 cork found at my preferred big box arts retailer.

There is still one step to finish. I have to drill some holes in the ends and am putting in dowels so that the table leafs fit together firmly. Also, I have to fix that small odd piece on the far end that was too tight in the space and thus didn't glue down properly :)

Attach99025_20190425_175053

Attach99029_20190425_175317

My felt "mat" was not exactly 6 x 3, it's like 2 inches too long lol so now I can use this as a guide to cut it properly.

The cork is 6 " on each long side (where you'd put your army and cards) and 4 " on the short ends, so you can put some tokens, drinks, dice, whatever.

Edited by manoftomorrow010

Started a quick project yesterday that was actually the very first idea I had when I started thinking about making my own terrain.

This is a forward comms station/supply drop, like a field HQ. The supply crates for reference, they won't be permanently affixed cause they're always good scatter, but I planned the space based on them being positioned along those two sides.

20190718_144846

I added the framing and put together a removable frame for the canopy, which will be covered in camo netting.

20190718_162251

The frame for the canopy fits into the gaps of the main frame on those 2 sides so it can't be knocked off but you can easily remove it to make it easier to put minis inside.

20190718_162244

Also, scale wise, the main frame is shorter than an AT-RT because no vehicle types should be able to move through it.