Captain Lackwit

OH GOD, THE BOMBERS ARE GOOD.

Just asking the question if taking Finch is the best idea here. At I4, he is not high enough to really be relevant, but high enough that he costs more than necessary.

I think if the opponent can arc dodge a Bomber, he can do it anyway, and your I4 is wasted.

I would take Cat as a pilot. Cheaper, and when you can make her ability work, she has probably the best one of the whole bunch.

7 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

DUDE WHAT

Okay so, those let you just stack stress up to twice and you're still able to barrel roll or boost. So, if you're carrying over stress from a previous turn for whatever reason, you have absolutely all the free reign to just. Barrel roll or boost. You don't even have to clear it. It's just such a good option. Meanwhile, I'm not totally sure about them on X-Wings at all. But I'm sure not sold on Ferrosphere.

I know what Primed Thrusters do, I just don't know why you'd put them on A-Wings.  Maybe you fly them differently than I do..../shrug.

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

I don't think I'd put Primed on A-Wings - you're adding quite a lot of cost when one of the beauties of these things is just how light and cost-efficient they are.

agreed. Pattern tho, that has been awesome. Especially with Talli who wants to always be facing her targets to trigger ability. Primed and Ellusive on Tallie makes her pretty tanky if she gets shot at.

this is my current list I'm having a lot of fun with, and is currently 3-0 by a healthy margin. Ironically its something I was toying with before the article, but FFG decided these three are good together too. They are right, just not the way they built it. 

Vennie (67)
Trajectory Simulator (3)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Skilled Bombardier (2)
Seismic Charges (3)
Proton Bombs (5)

Tallissan Lintra (35)
Elusive (3)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Poe Dameron (68)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

This is the tweak I did for the third game. Original list had Lone Wolf on Poe, but I was finding it wasn't triggering due to my play style. 

quick points:

- Tallie can help make Vennie very tanky. Vennie took 2 torps and only lost shields.

- I was stopping often enough that I figured Pattern was going to be a good upgrade over Lonewolf on Poe and I was right. having pattern allows Vennie to get his Focus every round to tank damage or for offense. 

- Poe is okay stripped down, built like this he feels a lot like Soontir and that's pretty solid. Sub optimal for sure, but Poe is Poe and will do Poe things

-Tallie has been great with Pattern and Elusive, very impressive actually. She has made it to the end game every time at full health. 

- Vennie does the most damage in the list. I found my opponents going for Poe, which just meant I was able to wreck them with Vennie as I set bomb traps.

- Blackout doesn't get to have fun when Vennie destroys all the rocks. 

Edited by Wiredin

@Wiredin what exactly confuses you about my last commentary?

I think i made a clear point there. Cat is 6 points cheaper, so offers Room for other upgrades in the list, and is probably a better gunboat on the merge if you get to use tragedy simulator.

11 minutes ago, ForceM said:

@Wiredin what exactly confuses you about my last commentary?

I think i made a clear point there. Cat is 6 points cheaper, so offers Room for other upgrades in the list, and is probably a better gunboat on the merge if you get to use tragedy simulator.

The confused look is about the initiative values. these aren't alpha strike torpedo boats. and it's harder to dodge a bomber that has side arcs and front arc active almost all the time. The ship is essentially a 1.0 turret. The initiative doesn't matter. you choose your ship based on the pilot ability. Cat is really good, I won't argue that at all. All the bombers have a place depending on the list. 

4 hours ago, Wiredin said:

and for the love of god people, Heroic is bad! even 1 more point towards a bid is better than running Heroic. STOP IT!

Played 1 game with it on Poe. I think I've got to use it 3 times on defence. I got 2 evades and 1 eye (that I had a focus for) out of it. Sweet!
Best point spent 😁

2 minutes ago, cybu said:

Played 1 game with it on Poe. I think I've got to use it 3 times on defence. I got 2 evades and 1 eye (that I had a focus for) out of it. Sweet!
Best point spent 😁

That seems very above average...

using the probability calculator. If Poe has a focus and is facing 3 die shot with focus he should take 4.9 attacks to the face before he is dead. Adding Heroic ups that to 5.2. 

That tells me that it would trigger once for every 5 attacks. It's is slightly better on 2 dice than 3 dice. So lets say 1 use per game. Id rather use Crackshot for once per game to kill something personally. Mostly because Red dice win over green dice all being equal (3 v 3 with focus on both)

Compared to A-wings...where most people are putting it. Base durability is 3.6 shots. Goes to 3.8 with Heroic. so it is 0.1 less chance of death.

Heroic is bad. 

Heroic is mathematically bad but variance good. It removes extreme swings of variance from your dice. And it’s 1 point. 1 point to allow you to reroll a double blank when you just need 1 paint to win/survive seems value to me  

I staple it to T-70s other than when I think about swarm tactics on a Poe/Jess combo. 

7 hours ago, ForceM said:

Cat is 6 points cheaper, so offers Room for other upgrades in the list, and is probably a better gunboat on the merge if you get to use tragedy simulator.

Ekhm, Cat has close to no way to proc herself as any device she would Trajectory Simulate will detonate before she engages. Only a back-dropped mines will do the trick for her... So if anything, drop it all the way down to the generic...

Edited by ryfterek

18 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Any decent way of getting 2 m100 fortresses in a list with a 3rd ship?

RZ-2 A-wing - •Tallissan Lintra - 37
    •Tallissan Lintra - Deadly Approach (35)
        Heroic (1)
        Trick Shot (1)

MG-100 StarFortress - Cobalt Squadron Bomber - 77
    Cobalt Squadron Bomber - (63)
        Trajectory Simulator (3)
        Seismic Charges (3)
        Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

MG-100 StarFortress - Cobalt Squadron Bomber - 86
    Cobalt Squadron Bomber - (63)
        Trajectory Simulator (3)
        Bomblet Generator (5)
        Veteran Turret Gunner (8)
        •Paige Tico (7)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

so... no?

On 12/16/2018 at 7:06 PM, chrisleeingram said:

If you have Finch, and trajectory sim, does that he can place a bomb anywhere 360' from the bomber at 5? (cheese): Before you would drop a bomb, you may place it in the play area touching you instead.

Both Finch and Trajectory Simulator are replacement effects (see the "instead"), and you can't apply two replacements on the same trigger.

If there are multiple replacement effects that could substitute for the same effect, only one effect can be substituted for the original effect.

◊ For example, a ship is about to gain a focus token and has both the ability “Before you would gain a focus token, gain an evade token instead” and the ability “Before you would gain a focus token, gain a calculate token instead.” Only one of those abilities could be resolved. (Rules Reference 1.02, Ability, p.2)

14 hours ago, gennataos said:

I know what Primed Thrusters do, I just don't know why you'd put them on A-Wings.  Maybe you fly them differently than I do..../shrug.

I do it to afford myself better action economy and carelessly run with a chunk of stress!

7 hours ago, Wiredin said:

using the probability calculator. If Poe has a focus and is facing 3 die shot with focus he should take 4.9 attacks to the face before he is dead. Adding Heroic ups that to 5.2. 

That tells me that it would trigger once for every 5 attacks. It's is slightly better on 2 dice than 3 dice. So lets say 1 use per game. Id rather use Crackshot for once per game to kill something personally. Mostly because Red dice win over green dice all being equal (3 v 3 with focus on both)

Compared to A-wings...where most people are putting it. Base durability is 3.6 shots. Goes to 3.8 with Heroic. so it is 0.1 less chance of death.

Heroic is bad. 

uSiNG ThE pRobAbIlITy CalCulAtoR - Ben Shapiro, 2018

8 hours ago, Wiredin said:

Heroic is bad. 

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

Heroic is a card designed to alleviate variance. Basing its usefulness on averages not a conclusive method of determining its (or anythings) value.

12 hours ago, Wiredin said:

The confused look is about the initiative values. these aren't alpha strike torpedo boats. and it's harder to dodge a bomber that has side arcs and front arc active almost all the time. The ship is essentially a 1.0 turret. The initiative doesn't matter. you choose your ship based on the pilot ability. Cat is really good, I won't argue that at all. All the bombers have a place depending on the list. 

Yeah but that’s exactly what i said. They are so clumsy that the enemy can either dodge them or he can’t no matter who is piloting them. In which case Cat might be a better choice because she is cheaper.

46 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

Heroic is a card designed to alleviate variance. Basing its usefulness on averages not a conclusive method of determining its (or anythings) value.

So what you are saying is that it works 50% of the time all the time?

6 hours ago, ryfterek said:

Ekhm, Cat has close to no way to proc herself as any device she would Trajectory Simulate will detonate before she engages. Only a back-dropped mines will do the trick for her... So if anything, drop it all the way down to the generic...

Yeah i agree. Unless any of the pilot abilities is so good that sou wanna pay the premium on it. But honestly i don’t see any.