Jump to content
Captain Lackwit

OH GOD, THE BOMBERS ARE GOOD.

Recommended Posts

OH GOD, FINCH DALLOW. MY MAN.

RZ-2 A-wing - •Tallissan Lintra - 48
    •Tallissan Lintra - Deadly Approach (35)
        Heroic (1)
        Juke (4)
        Primed Thrusters (8)

RZ-2 A-wing - •L’ulo L’ampar - 51
    •L’ulo L’ampar - Luminous Mentor (38)
        Heroic (1)
        Juke (4)
        Primed Thrusters (8)

MG-100 StarFortress - •Finch Dallow - 96
    •Finch Dallow - Cobalt Hammer (70)
        Trajectory Simulator (3)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Seismic Charges (3)
        •Paige Tico (7)
        Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

Total: 195/200
View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

 

So lemme' just say, while the list can PROOOOBABLY be improved, I really liked this one. Finch could put a bomb almost anywhere he so desired on top of having a really strong gunner crew that afforded me a looooot of action economy and firing arc repositioning / double tapping if/when necessary. Tallie's ability is not amazing or easy to use, but moving at I5 I could choose if I wanted her or L'ulo to move/fire before the other which was really powerful, especially at that initiative. I can't imagine NOT running Primed Thrusters on A-Wings, either. They're too **** good- Ferrosphere has its upsides but ****, I think I'd prefer PT on X-Wings, too. It'd almost be worth running PT on Poe.

I have all the time I want to evade into a Juke, then boost or rotate to reposition and change my foe's result to a focus. That's very powerful, and I don't see myself dropping PT+Juke any time soon. Heroic, however, really isn't triggering often. Extremely good insurance, but I may experiment with something else.

But Finch, the Starfortress itself, is definitely here to stay in my list and collection. It's a very powerful force multiplier that will get focused down but is able to dish out plenty of pain applied correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a great fan of the StarFortress in 1.0 and put it to good use. But I hesitate to put 90+ points in a ship that can turn like a whale. The 3 primary is no use if you don't have anything to shoot at. What was your experience: Did you fly against aces that just tried to stay behind you at a certain range to not eat bombs? I fear that Luke, Kylo, Poe and the like can tear the StarFortress easily apart. 
And how did you find the lack of Ablative Plating? Didn't Finch just eat too many of his own bombs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I strongly agree with the merits of this list! However, I would alter a thing or two. 

I'd downgrade Juke to Predator. With those I5s, lining up Bullseyes is pretty easy, and you're gonna want to double repo so much that Juke won't even come into play. Even when it does, a Focus action will likely be better anyway.

As for Finch? I would lose TS for FCS and ditch one or both of the As PT for PerCo on the big guy. Double modded shots on both? Yeah I'll take that any day. You could add PA to him too if you do trade the other PT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the bomber in 1.0, so I’m really trying to find a good list in 2.0. I’ve been trying out some lists against FO, but watch out for that Upsilon. It really tears into a Bomber. 

I like L’ulo and Ello, so I’m trying to pair them with a bomber. Finch was the one I was trying with Poe and Tallie for a higher init list, but I think I might go Ben or even a generic with these two for more upgrades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, between Rey/Paige Gunners, Rose crew, and Vet Turret Gunner, I have yet to face a Starfortress that didn’t elicit imagery of a fortress. These things are Tanky af and can dish out some serious pain. Even if you do get behind them, with the right Gunner they can kite way too much damage.

I’m not complaining, for sure, but yeah I don’t see them getting a points reduction at any point. If you wanna fly three, you’re probably gonna be stuck with one upgrade a piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greebwahn said:

As for Finch? I would lose TS for FCS and ditch one or both of the As PT for PerCo on the big guy. Double modded shots on both? Yeah I'll take that any day. You could add PA to him too if you do trade the other PT.

I dunno man. Fcs is good, but most of the time it's just on 2 dice is my concern. TS changes how your enemy flies, based on the threat of tossed bombs. That can be useful for those I5's trying to arc dodge, or the Starfortress that will have issues lining up its big gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, KiloFiX9 said:

If you drop a bomb after movement with Paige and Finch - doesn’t that mean you’ll inevitably be caught in the explosion?

Bombs: "Bombs can be dropped or launched during the System Phase and detonate at the end of the Activation Phase."

Paige: "After you perform a primary attack, you may drop 1 bomb or rotate your turret arc. After you are destroyed, you may drop 1 bomb."

Paige's bomb doesn't detonate till the end of the next Activation Phase so Finch has plenty of time to get out of the way, and can have 2 qued up to go off in the same area too... (Paige drop, next round System Phase drop, move clear in the Activation Phase, BOOM!)

Edited by Hiemfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Paige: "After you perform a primary attack, you may drop 1 bomb or rotate your turret arc. After you are destroyed, you may drop 1 bomb."

Paige's bomb doesn't detonate till the end of the next Activation Phase so Finch has plenty of time to get out of the way, and can have 2 qued up to go off in the same area too... (Paige drop, next round System Phase drop, move clear in the Activation Phase, BOOM!)

I think she could technically drop 3 if you have Vet gunner? The bonus attack is still on a primary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dreadai said:

You can still only drop one bomb a round. 

Maybe. I think Paige side steps that limitation per the "Golden Rules" on card ability trumping the Rules Reference and Rule Book. She says you can drop after a primary attack then you can drop after a primary attack.

http://infinitearenas.com/xw2rules/index.php?page=golden-rules

"Golden Rules

If a rule in this guide contradicts the Rulebook, the rule in this guide takes precedence.

If the ability of a card conflicts with the rules in this guide, the card ability takes precedence.

If a card ability uses the word "cannot," that effect is absolute and cannot be overridden by other effects.

During an attack or while otherwise resolving an effect involving dice, each die cannot be rerolled more than once."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a specific clarification stating that Paige overrules the 'one device per turn' limit, she doesn't. If her ability said that you 'must' drop a device, that would overrule the limit, but it's a 'may'.

Compare Pattern Analyser which says you can do one action before checking for stress after a red move, but you can still do a linked 2nd action even though logic indicates that you shouldn't be able to, with Advanced Sensors which specifies it's exemption to that general rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Bombs: "Bombs can be dropped or launched during the System Phase and detonate at the end of the Activation Phase."

Paige: "After you perform a primary attack, you may drop 1 bomb or rotate your turret arc. After you are destroyed, you may drop 1 bomb."

Paige's bomb doesn't detonate till the end of the next Activation Phase so Finch has plenty of time to get out of the way, and can have 2 qued up to go off in the same area too... (Paige drop, next round System Phase drop, move clear in the Activation Phase, BOOM!)

Oh I read the Bomb detonation wrong in my initial post. This is interesting.

 

Would definitely be great against unshielded like a Tie Swarm. Not sure about something like a Boba list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KiloFiX9 said:

Oh I read the Bomb detonation wrong in my initial post. This is interesting.

 

Would definitely be great against unshielded like a Tie Swarm. Not sure about something like a Boba list. 

Fangs and Modified Ties don't have shields, that is half of what is available to Scum in Hyperspace right now. In Extended it would be murder on quads and Fangs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gennataos said:

@Captain Lackwit - I’m missing the usefulness of PT on A-Wings. Please enlighten me. 

Same. I just don’t see it. Not at 8pts. A-Wings are cheap. Primed Thrusters is not and all you get out of it is the ability to double reposition after a red move or double use the ship ability. Both of these will leave you double stressed (though you can still boost and roll while trying to shed it). It doesn’t feel like an efficient use of points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

OH GOD, FINCH DALLOW. MY MAN.

RZ-2 A-wing - •Tallissan Lintra - 48
    •Tallissan Lintra - Deadly Approach (35)
        Heroic (1)
        Juke (4)
        Primed Thrusters (8)

RZ-2 A-wing - •L’ulo L’ampar - 51
    •L’ulo L’ampar - Luminous Mentor (38)
        Heroic (1)
        Juke (4)
        Primed Thrusters (8)

MG-100 StarFortress - •Finch Dallow - 96
    •Finch Dallow - Cobalt Hammer (70)
        Trajectory Simulator (3)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Seismic Charges (3)
        •Paige Tico (7)
        Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

Total: 195/200
View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

 

So lemme' just say, while the list can PROOOOBABLY be improved, I really liked this one. Finch could put a bomb almost anywhere he so desired on top of having a really strong gunner crew that afforded me a looooot of action economy and firing arc repositioning / double tapping if/when necessary. Tallie's ability is not amazing or easy to use, but moving at I5 I could choose if I wanted her or L'ulo to move/fire before the other which was really powerful, especially at that initiative. I can't imagine NOT running Primed Thrusters on A-Wings, either. They're too **** good- Ferrosphere has its upsides but ****, I think I'd prefer PT on X-Wings, too. It'd almost be worth running PT on Poe.

I have all the time I want to evade into a Juke, then boost or rotate to reposition and change my foe's result to a focus. That's very powerful, and I don't see myself dropping PT+Juke any time soon. Heroic, however, really isn't triggering often. Extremely good insurance, but I may experiment with something else.

But Finch, the Starfortress itself, is definitely here to stay in my list and collection. It's a very powerful force multiplier that will get focused down but is able to dish out plenty of pain applied correctly.

Laughs in Kylo. True, my Rexler became Wrekt-Brath, but switching factions to fly the far more maneuverable ship has dispelled any fear I previously had for one of the game's best blockers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I dunno man. Fcs is good, but most of the time it's just on 2 dice is my concern. TS changes how your enemy flies, based on the threat of tossed bombs. That can be useful for those I5's trying to arc dodge, or the Starfortress that will have issues lining up its big gun.

ALWAYS ts

If the dang Resistance actually had them, they wouldn't have taken any loses against the dreadnaught; much less the ENTIRE squadron 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Okapi said:

Sloop > roll > boost? Seems decent enough, even if the following couple of turns will be a bit of a hangover.

They have the “bluest” dial in the game and can shoot behind them. I’ve only done red moves with them when it’s a total reset turn and I won’t receive nor have shots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have Finch, and trajectory sim, does that he can place a bomb anywhere 360' from the bomber at 5? (cheese): Before you would drop a bomb, you may place it in the play area touching you instead.

Edited by chrisleeingram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...