emeraldbeacon

Request: Paint for metal tokens?

Hey all!  Over the past year or so, I've won a few of the metal tokens currently given out at tournaments.  While I like the overall feel of them, they look rather bland on the table thanks to their overly uniform look... so I'd like to add some paint to them to make them stand out a bit.  My question is, what kind of paint (or methods of painting) would you recommend for use on FFG metal tokens?

My initial idea was to fill the recessed areas with some kind of enamel paint, then wipe off the topmost layer, keeping it silver.  Any tokens that needed a red reverse side would probably be a solid color, I suppose...?

I went to a tournament yesterday and talked to one of the guys there, who said that he went to Hobby Lobby and picked up something called an "alcohol-based dye for non-porous materials" and that that worked perfectly - sort of like a wash to fill all the crevices in the tokens, and then it dries and doesn't rub off. Haven't had a chance to try it for myself yet though. 

I've used my different kinds of paint, enamel, acrylic, oils and original car paints (thinner). Those car paints are the strongest by far, but since you only need a few drops, you probably will not be buying those. Enamels are resistant too. Even better if you give them a coat of clear varnish.

What do you want to do exactly? High light the tokens? Darken the recesses? Paint the bevels or perhaps a full repaint?

On 12/18/2018 at 1:16 AM, Force Majeure said:

I posted this in another thread, but this is what my painted metal tokens look like:

KobInR5.jpg

How did you do? All paint and then sand? I love them, I'm guess I will copy you. Shields included.