matt.sucharski

L'ulo is love. L'ulo is life

Trick Shot, Composure, and optionally, Homing Missile. 

I tried him out for the fist time today. I flew him behind a lower init buddy to intentionally block my boosts so I could Lock  -> Boost (Fail) -> Composure Focus to end stressed with a double modded 3 dice attack. Trick Shot combos very well with the pilot ability and with the rear arc option. So fun. 

Edited by Incard

11 minutes ago, Incard said:

I tried him out for the fist time today. I flew him behind a lower init buddy to intentionally block my boosts so I could Lock  -> Boost (Fail) -> Composure Focus to end stressed with a double modded 3 dice attack. Trick Shot combos very well with the pilot ability and with the rear arc option. So fun. 

Dang, it appears composure actually works out that way. Glad to see it’s useful somewhere 😜 Tempting to try an i3 RZ-1 swarm with that, fly (Intimidation) Arvel in front, bump him into the target and everyone behind him fails their boosts into him/ each other for a fully-modded swarm attack. Flavor with munitions as desired.

17 minutes ago, Incard said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the Stress from failing the Red Boost prevent the Focus Action granted by Composure?

This is a good point. The rules ref says the stress for a failed red action is "after" the failed action. The Composure focus is also "after" a failed action. Same timing window so the ability queue is in effect. The stress is a game effect, not an ability so that goes first. Darn. Looks like it's case closed. Any missed facts of the case?

Just now, Incard said:

This is a good point. The rules ref says the stress for a failed red action is "after" the failed action. The Composure focus is also "after" a failed action. Same timing window so the ability queue is in effect. The stress is a game effect, not an ability so that goes first. Darn. Looks like it's case closed. Any missed facts of the case?

Dang yeah I always forget that touch in the rules. Composure is as worthless as ever, alas. :(

Wait what?

• If a red action fails, the ship does not gain a stress token.

Quoted from the rules ref. Is this not actually the case?

Or am I on the wrong track somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Wait what?

From page 3 of the rules reference: • Actions are either white or red. After a ship performs or fails a red action, it gains one stress token.

or fails was added in the most recent edition ie. September 19th

1 minute ago, player3049613 said:

From page 3 of the rules reference: • Actions are either white or red. After a ship performs or fails a red action, it gains one stress token.

or fails was added in the most recent edition ie. September 19th

Ah thanks. Guess I'm not quite up to date 😕

33 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Wait what?

That is what it was going to be, then I guess they saw the Composure spam for a free focus and no stress to go with it, so they changed it.

8 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Composure is as worthless as ever, alas. :(

I've found it actually quite good on Sabine. Fail a boost or BR, get a focus an do a 4K behind the enemy. Or do an evade after your maneuver and you still get focus/evade. works even after a white maneuver.
But other that that... yeah, i see no use for composure 🙄

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

I'm confused now. Can I do what the initial post said or not?

The stress from the failed boost (linked via A-wing ship ability) is triggered with the exact same wording as composure. Unfortunately, game effects like stress automatically fall into queue before player effects like taking a focus action. So, no. :(

L'ulo L'ampar is amazing! Great fun, and he does some serious work. He is going to be a staple for me I think. At i5 you want your boosts to be successful anyway. Boosting into range 1 for 4 dice with a focus or lock is great. Not to mention he only gets 2 greens when stressed so if you're boosting you're either dodging a shot or lining one up. 

I flew him with Trick Shot and Heroic with Advanced Optics. Trick shot is fantastic on these A-wings, Heroic is up to personal preference on its value, but it was handy taking the occasional shot when down to 2 greens (to me if it triggers once its paid off). Predator could be really nice, same with marksmanship. Advanced Optics worked well, lowers the need for locks if you're not running missiles. Ferrosphere Paint has its value too, I think it's a bit much for A-wings though.