CapitanGuinea

After episode ix

End of Skywalker saga does not mean end of stories set in that timeline. 

It means the reigns are actually being handed off to the new generation of heroes. 

Just like we continue to get stories set during the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War, I’m sure we’ll see more stories come out of the Resistance/First Order conflict even after the trilogy is complete. 

Also, keep in mind that Rian Johnson and Weiss/Beniof are set to produce trilogies that open up unexplored territory in the Star Wars universe. 

Edited by WAC47

I'm hoping the first order and resistance conflict last longer then just ep 9. I know they say the Skywalker saga is ending but hopefully the setting will remain a little longer.

I think star wars is at its best when the setting is oppressive fascist state against plucky rebellion and also with the first order only taking over for such a short amount of time, it's all gonna feel a bit pointless if they rise to conquer the galaxy but then are defeated and dissappear again a few years later. 

35 minutes ago, Wraithdt said:

Oh man! I hope he comes back for the tv series.

Yeah, me too.  It would be amazing to see him back in a regular role, but even if it's a cameos here and there it would be great.  There's a couple of players in Rogue One who could hopefully turn up as well.  Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, General Draven, General Raddus…

edit:  almost forgot Saw and his Partisans as well.  I need more Tubes in my Star Wars...

Edited by FTS Gecko

Nobody said Episode 9 was going to be the end of that era; just the end of Skywalkers. With only two left alive in-universe (Leia and Ben), it’s not a huge leap to conclude both will be gone by the end of the movie. 

That doesn’t mean the Order itself is gone.

Theres a ton of content that I’m sure they’ll produce.

36 minutes ago, Wraithdt said:

Oh man! I hope he comes back for the tv series.

I'm just hoping he and some of Blue Squadron end up coming to the game.

6 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Nobody said Episode 9 was going to be the end of that era; just the end of Skywalkers. With only two left alive in-universe (Leia and Ben), it’s not a huge leap to conclude both will be gone by the end of the movie. 

That doesn’t mean the Order itself is gone.

Theres a ton of content that I’m sure they’ll produce.

Question is, after the ST do we basically get a reworked old canon with a New New Republic, and a New New Jedi Order vs a First Order Remnant? 

3 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Question is, after the ST do we basically get a reworked old canon with a New New Republic, and a New New Jedi Order vs a First Order Remnant? 

Depends on who gets to write them.

If JJ, maybe. He played it safe with TFA, and while not inherently the safest of the safe, that’s a pretty safe story line that would be worth watching.

If the Rian stories are the continued telling, well, let’s say I expect them to be incoherent, inconsistent with each other, and quite probably the most nihilistic where everything amounts to nothing in the end. With a hefty dose of current affairs politics tossed in.

I honestly do hope it will not turn into Star Trek. The difference being that in Star Wars up to Episode VII (inclusive) every issue could have been solved by jumping into a starfighter and blowing something up.

Edited by rhetor

Hopefully they just leave the story and try some other approach. I mean, do you guys really want Star Wars: Discovery

tumblr_inline_p46e35VNg91sxmbf9_540.gif

I mean if they do try something, I would be okay with a full reboot (Episodes 1-9) under one conditions, they start over to keep cast continuity. The first 3 episodes could have a Game of thrones them, the second 3 episodes will have our favorite Death Star Story Arc. The last 4 episodes could get a fun Space James Bond theme to stop No 1 and their superweapons shenenagians. Anyways I don't think this movie per year with every other year being an episode is working that well.

8 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

I'm just hoping he and some of Blue Squadron end up coming to the game.

Couldn’t agree more.

My gut feeling tells me that they’ll go back in time to the Old Republic after Ep9. I don’t see them moving forward in the timeline for the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, Wraithdt said:

Couldn’t agree more.

My gut feeling tells me that they’ll go back in time to the Old Republic after Ep9. I don’t see them moving forward in the timeline for the foreseeable future.

Oh boy I can't wait for them to screw that up! (Yeah, of course after TLJ backlash I don't think they want to do 9 tbh, but they kind of have to so the trilogy isn't just hanging.)

2 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Oh boy I can't wait for them to screw that up! (Yeah, of course after TLJ backlash I don't think they want to do 9 tbh, but they kind of have to so the trilogy isn't just hanging.)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

2 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I've got it!  So, Episode 9 will begin where 8 left off.  The Resistance is fleeing, with the First Order right behind them.  Things are going wrong, people are dying off, and things look really bleak.  Then, as things look absolutely hopeless, the scene fades and the voices get less and less distinct.  Then a light comes on, and we see Bob Newhart turn to Digital Suzanne Pleshette and say, "Honey, wake up. You won’t believe the dream I just had."

After revealing that the entire Star Wars series was nothing but another of Bob's dreams, the remaining hour and a half of the film basically becomes The Bob Newhart Show:  The Movie.

7 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Preach. 

This forum is honestly a goldmine of the most ridiculously awful Star Wars takes on the Internet. And that’s saying something. 

This might take the cake from “well actually the holiday special was a better movie than TLJ.” 

The movie made 1.32 BILLION dollars. 

I don’t think they give a rats butt what a few whiny fanboys on the internet thought about it. 

Edited by WAC47

9 hours ago, WAC47 said:

Preach. 

This forum is honestly a goldmine of the most ridiculously awful Star Wars takes on the Internet. And that’s saying something. 

This might take the cake from “well actually the holiday special was a better movie than TLJ.” 

The movie made 1.32 BILLION dollars. 

I don’t think they give a rats butt what a few whiny fanboys on the internet thought about it. 

Yeah, that’s why Solo did so well at the box office. (Hint: it didn’t, and solo is a decent movie, so it wasn’t that they made a bad movie.)

We could go round and round about this, but the bottom line is that it’s all subjective, and at the end of the day I think last Jedi sucked, because I went to see it twice, because I couldn’t believe it was that bad and needed to reaffirm it,  and did not enjoy it both times. Not because some clickbait idiot on YouTube said I should hate it. It’s ironic that most of my gripes actually get fixed with the deleted scenes, but for some reason we couldn’t have those in the theatre. 

You obviously feel differently, and that’s fine, but it’s pretty naive to assume Disney isn’t concerned to some degree about their cash cow not producing as expected.

42 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Yeah, that’s why Solo did so well at the box office. (Hint: it didn’t, and solo is a decent movie, so it wasn’t that they made a bad movie.)

We could go round and round about this, but the bottom line is that it’s all subjective, and at the end of the day I think last Jedi sucked, because I went to see it twice, because I couldn’t believe it was that bad and needed to reaffirm it,  and did not enjoy it both times. Not because some clickbait idiot on YouTube said I should hate it. It’s ironic that most of my gripes actually get fixed with the deleted scenes, but for some reason we couldn’t have those in the theatre. 

You obviously feel differently, and that’s fine, but it’s pretty naive to assume Disney isn’t concerned to some degree about their cash cow not producing as expected.

As you surmised, I happened to like The Last Jedi a lot. I respect that you don’t! We are highly unlikely to change each other’s minds at this point, so I think it’s  best to leave it at that  

But I disagree that it is subjective to suggest that the movie was massively financially successful, and that’s the primary concern of Lucasfilm in deciding how to proceed with the series (as you indicate in your post)

There are a number of potential reasons that Solo suffered a relative failure at the box office. In my opinion the backlash from TLJ is highly unlikely to be the primary one. For starters, the Blu Ray sales from TLJ certainly did not suffer from the backlash (http://screencrush.com/blu-ray-sales-2018-star-wars-last-jedi/). Solo, on the other hand, suffered from production issues, it was released in a crowded season, and it was too close in proximity for the average movie-goer/Star Wars fans (who I would suggest are the primary audience for the movies, unlike you or I). 

Ironically, given the nature of some of the backlash (which I am in no way accusing you of agreeing with or in any way endorsing), there appears to be a decent correlation between diversity in cast (i.e., female led films) and box office. https://shift7.com/media-research. Given that Solo had a White male lead (although this obscures the diversity in the rest of the cast), it may be that whatever factors are behind this correlation worked against Solo.

If anything, Lucasfilm may draw the opposite conclusion than what you presented... more movies like The Last Jedi and less movies like Solo. This would appear to be the case based on the fact that they have stepped away from the standalone “anthologies” in favor of worked out trilogies (presumably) in the scope of the Saga (Rian Johnson and Weiss/Benioff), although not tied to the Skywalkers. This allows them greater stability in production, more regularly spaced releases, and less pressure on individual stories. 

1 hour ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Just curious. Which deleted scenes? I didn’t realize there were deleted scenes. Checking them on YouTube now.