Jump to content
CapitanGuinea

After episode ix

Recommended Posts

Books. There's a ton of story arc content in all the new canon books for all the FFG game systems. And more coming. There's loads of material.

While I don't have the link now, I recall reading the summary of the Disney purchase offer to LucasFilm that was presented to the shareholders, and it suggested a viable product lifetime of 40 years for the SW brand. That was in 2014, so they're working the IP to be still around successfully until 2054. So, in other words, new material until many of us are either dead or seriously old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

Books. There's a ton of story arc content in all the new canon books for all the FFG game systems. And more coming. There's loads of material.

While I don't have the link now, I recall reading the summary of the Disney purchase offer to LucasFilm that was presented to the shareholders, and it suggested a viable product lifetime of 40 years for the SW brand. That was in 2014, so they're working the IP to be still around successfully until 2054. So, in other words, new material until many of us are either dead or seriously old.

In 2054, I'll be in my 60's, so maybe I'll be able to dress up as a pretty convincing Obi-wan (from the original trilogy) to attend movies by that point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slugrage said:

While I don't have the link now, I recall reading the summary of the Disney purchase offer to LucasFilm that was presented to the shareholders, and it suggested a viable product lifetime of 40 years for the SW brand.


Yea, but the Star Wars brand had already been successful for 40 years with only 6 movies, including a decade and half between the OT and the PT with no new mainstream Star Wars content (outside of Caravan of Courage, heh).

Merchandising alone can keep the Star Wars brand profitable even without priming the pump with a new feature film each year.  Disney is clearly slowing down and revisiting their film strategy after TLJ, having moved up their release of Solo in anticipation of a tank, having put a moratorium onto all of their future anthology films for the moment, and having taken away the free reigns trilogy that had promised to Rian Johnson prior to TLJ's release.  Aside from Episode IX, there is no other known Star Wars film in production at the moment, and this is starkly different from Disney's original model of putting out a new Star Wars film every December.  They are gunshy of the theater, and are clearly investing efforts into live-action TV series to see if those are better received in this era of Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stranger Things, and similar "mega-hit" series.


So a "viable product lifetime of 40 years" once sounded like Disney meant "a product from which we can release 40 feature films."  Now, it's sure looking to be a lot less films than that.  How many will they ultimately churn out in 40 years?  Probably a lot more than Lucas' 6 films in 40 years, but probably not more than about 12 films.  Star Wars is not Marvel, and Disney is learning that after trying to make it Marvel in TLJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:


Yea, but the Star Wars brand had already been successful for 40 years with only 6 movies, including a decade and half between the OT and the PT with no new mainstream Star Wars content (outside of Caravan of Courage, heh).

Merchandising alone can keep the Star Wars brand profitable even without priming the pump with a new feature film each year.  Disney is clearly slowing down and revisiting their film strategy after TLJ, having moved up their release of Solo in anticipation of a tank, having put a moratorium onto all of their future anthology films for the moment, and having taken away the free reigns trilogy that had promised to Rian Johnson prior to TLJ's release.  Aside from Episode IX, there is no other known Star Wars film in production at the moment, and this is starkly different from Disney's original model of putting out a new Star Wars film every December.  They are gunshy of the theater, and are clearly investing efforts into live-action TV series to see if those are better received in this era of Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stranger Things, and similar "mega-hit" series.


So a "viable product lifetime of 40 years" once sounded like Disney meant "a product from which we can release 40 feature films."  Now, it's sure looking to be a lot less films than that.  How many will they ultimately churn out in 40 years?  Probably a lot more than Lucas' 6 films in 40 years, but probably not more than about 12 films.  Star Wars is not Marvel, and Disney is learning that after trying to make it Marvel in TLJ.

let's just see how this goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WAC47 said:

Preach. 

This forum is honestly a goldmine of the most ridiculously awful Star Wars takes on the Internet. And that’s saying something. 

This might take the cake from “well actually the holiday special was a better movie than TLJ.” 

The movie made 1.32 BILLION dollars. 

I don’t think they give a rats butt what a few whiny fanboys on the internet thought about it. 

Quite correct

 But historically sw made the true big money with merchandise in the long run and but tfa and tlj undeperformed grossly on that point of view. I am not telling that internet whiner are right, only that I fear that some time in the future they will discontinue whole range by econlmics reason. I am a space marine player in warhammer 40000 tabletop game. I have seen how the primaris projected dark shadows on thr furure of my regulare marine. I do not desire they would cancel a whole collection of models only because they were from Legends in Xwing. And Hyperspace create big fears in that sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CapitanGuinea said:

 I do not desire they would cancel a whole collection of models only because they were from Legends in Xwing. And Hyperspace create big fears in that sense.

Hyperspace format isn’t them saying they won’t allow legends content into xwing - it’s them curating so factions just starting up are more on par with each other in terms of choices. It’s also a way for them to force a meta change if they don’t like something by trading stuff in and out on a cycle.

I imagine they will eventually reprint all the old 1.0 ships in 2.0 packaging - the question is how will the format evolve over time.

I really despise the Hyperspace format for my own reasons (here, buy this conversion for your old stuff! Oh wait, you still can’t use it! Jokes on you!) but I don’t see them ever deleting old ships of 1.0 and never having them come back in any form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

 taken away the free reigns trilogy that had promised to Rian Johnson prior to TLJ's release. 

That was an unfounded rumor, and has been disconfirmed via Twitter https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-still-happening/amp/, although if you have more up to date info I’d like to hear it.  

It seems that there’s a segment of the Anti-TLJ crowd (although of course not all) that has a huge confirmation bias, and will spread just about any rumor that conforms with their narrative. It’s the same system that pooped out that “Kathleen Kennedy is going to get fired” rumor right before this happened: https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2018/09/kathleen-kennedy-contract-extension-lucasfilm-star-wars-1202473246/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:


<snip>  They are gunshy of the theater, and are clearly investing efforts into live-action TV series to see if those are better received in this era of Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stranger Things, and similar "mega-hit" series.</snip>

Disney are also masters of what was previously known as "direct to video" releases, that never saw the light of a movie theatre. When I did the buying for a major national music/CD store, there were pages and pages of releases all the time from Disney for DVDs that all tied into existing, and very profitable, intellectual property that were made for far lower costs than theatrical releases, but still sold quite well on their own. With Disney Plus streaming coming, I wouldn't be surprised to see them putting their efforts into all kind of "direct to stream" programming, such as they've announced with the Cassian Andor and the Mandalorian series so far. With the streaming option, episodes can be whatever length they want instead of trying to fit the classic 30-minute/60-minute mold for traditional television programming, or a traditional(ish) 2-hour run time for a theatrical release. I'd much more of the mind that future Star Wars efforts will come in the form of streaming series rather than movies, RJ and GoT dudes trilogies aside.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

buy this conversion for your old stuff! Oh wait, you still can’t use it!

who says you can't use it? You can use it all you want, just not everywhere  you may want. you can play all the content at any system open main event, you can play it at your local game store, you can play it on your coffee table or kitchen table. You are only limited in selection in Hyperspace themed competitive events. And even some of the conversion kit contents are usable in those as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

who says you can't use it? You can use it all you want, just not everywhere  you may want. you can play all the content at any system open main event, you can play it at your local game store, you can play it on your coffee table or kitchen table. You are only limited in selection in Hyperspace themed competitive events. And even some of the conversion kit contents are usable in those as well. 


But how many fewer conversion kits would have been sold if FFG had announced back in May the list of what would be legal for Hyperspace and that Hyperspace would be the main format for the major tournies of 2018 and foreseeably into 2019?

I mean, I'm sure that they're waiting to reveal the Hyperspace Format details until last month was like not accidental, seeing as the vast majority of the conversion kits that will ever be sold would have already been sold by that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

who says you can't use it? You can use it all you want, just not everywhere  you may want. you can play all the content at any system open main event, you can play it at your local game store, you can play it on your coffee table or kitchen table. You are only limited in selection in Hyperspace themed competitive events. And even some of the conversion kit contents are usable in those as well. 

1. The nearest System Open is 3 states away, behind the paywall of a convention. When you add all expenses in, it’s nearly $400 to play x-wing with the option to use my stuff I converted.

2. More and more locations are moving to Hyperspace format for their standard FLGS because, frankly, the local store scene has always been the practice ground of higher level competitive play lists. People want to practice for it, so they move that direction with the venue. So no, my options are pretty limited. I’ve got the home with friends and family, and I’ve got a once a month event I specifically organized in rebellion to it where we just meet up at a game store and set up pick up games of extended.

3. You know precisely what I was getting at, and are trying to invoke technicality to prove a point that isn’t really founded. The reality of the situation is that outside of games at home (if you’re fortunate enough to have the space), where the only rules are the ones you abide by, you’re choices are far more limited than you want to admit. I’ve even seen events that were extended on announcement now say “well we won’t force you this year but we really encourage you to Hyperspace format your lists because that season is coming”. 

4. Some is not all, and is again trying to fall back on technicality.

24 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:


But how many fewer conversion kits would have been sold if FFG had announced back in May the list of what would be legal for Hyperspace and that Hyperspace would be the main format for the major tournies of 2018 and foreseeably into 2019?

I mean, I'm sure that they're waiting to reveal the Hyperspace Format details until last month was like not accidental, seeing as the vast majority of the conversion kits that will ever be sold would have already been sold by that point.

Bingo. You get exactly what I am saying.

They sold us “this game will be better! And yes you can use all your ships in the new game too.” Only one of those statements turned out to be true.

To be honest, I’m not sure i would have bought into 2.0 had I known that my only options for playing with my ships were what I myself organize. At the very least I wouldn’t have gone all in on one of each conversion for the original 3 factions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:


But how many fewer conversion kits would have been sold if FFG had announced back in May the list of what would be legal for Hyperspace and that Hyperspace would be the main format for the major tournies of 2018 and foreseeably into 2019?

I mean, I'm sure that they're waiting to reveal the Hyperspace Format details until last month was like not accidental, seeing as the vast majority of the conversion kits that will ever be sold would have already been sold by that point.

On the other hand, did FFG ever officially announce that all converted ships would be immediately tournament legal?  I seem to recall discussions at the time of whether or not this would be the case, so people can't really claim this is a completely unexpected move out of nowhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 8:19 PM, KiloFiX9 said:

Just curious. Which deleted scenes? I didn’t realize there were deleted scenes. Checking them on YouTube now.

Mainly the 3rd lesson, it adds so much dynamic to Rey and Luke’s character, as well as completing that particular story arc; also the Luke reacts to Hans death, that scene is only about 10 seconds, but we finally get a glimpse of what Luke is really feeling, not just the apathetic charade he’s trying to do around Rey so she gives up and goes away. (I say charade because while he does feel apathy towards Rey, from the deleted scene we gain that what he truly feels is loneliness, and then sadness, because later on we learn he feels responsible for having created Kylo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Mainly the 3rd lesson, it adds so much dynamic to Rey and Luke’s character, as well as completing that particular story arc; also the Luke reacts to Hans death, that scene is only about 10 seconds, but we finally get a glimpse of what Luke is really feeling, not just the apathetic charade he’s trying to do around Rey so she gives up and goes away. (I say charade because while he does feel apathy towards Rey, from the deleted scene we gain that what he truly feels is loneliness, and then sadness, because later on we learn he feels responsible for having created Kylo).

I rather like the deleted scene with Phasma, as well. The fact that her own people clearly don't know what she did, and she's killing out of hand anyone in the First Order who finds out, makes her still being around and in a command position make a lot more sense.

I mean, you see her doing this in the Phasma comics, but it's nice to see it on screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 9:03 PM, JJ48 said:

In 2054, I'll be in my 60's, so maybe I'll be able to dress up as a pretty convincing Obi-wan (from the original trilogy) to attend movies by that point!

Some guy did just that at one of the recent star wars celebrations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 11:38 AM, ScummyRebel said:

To be honest, I’m not sure i would have bought into 2.0 had I known that my only options for playing with my ships were what I myself organize. At the very least I wouldn’t have gone all in on one of each conversion for the original 3 factions.

Yeah, I am in retrospect super glad that I sat out the conversion process.  I'll get to enjoy the prequel stuff in 2.0 with no expectations, play Empire with old timey 1.0, and spend a mere $25 to reboot Resistance as 2.0 (or play with it as 1.0 as well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Episode IX X-WING will be able to continue by drawing content from; Episode IX, the animated series “The Resistance “, the new Cassian Andor venture, “Mandalorian” live action series, “Rebels” and the comics at a minimum. FFG and Disney will not have any shortage of content available. Their cupboards are quite operational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps they'll delve into the Old Republic and break away from all the current movies entirely, both the factions and the story, effectively starting new.

I always preferred the Old Republic stories BECAUSE it wasnt holding the Trilogy's nutsack the entire time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×