Sign in to follow this  
Whiz Canmaj

Where do you protect your best creatures: flank or non-flank?

I've been trying to improve my gameplay, and part of it is playing around situational removal. Booby Trap and Hand of Dis are made to take out creatures not in flank, but Positron Bolt deals more damage to creatures on a flank.

Is there a general "safer" place to put creatures in: on the flank or between the flanks? Or is it a House-to-House basis (Shadows and Dis, put on the flank; or Logos, put between the flanks)? Are there some flank/non-flanking cards that I'm not taking into account?

Edited by Whiz Canmaj

I researched this for myself before. Non flank is technically safer, but the number of cards that care about the state of your opponent's battleline is so small that even getting 1 card that cares in a deck is unlikely. This means the safest place for your threat is going to feel pretty random.

How are you putting creatures down not on flanks?

I'd say it depends on your deck and your opponent's. If they have sanctum and might have radiant truth you might wanna keep the guys you don't want stunned on the flanks. If you have a staunch knight with shoulder armour you definitely want to not let him into the middle. If they have Shadows you probably want to surround your best guy asap.

But honestly mostly I don't think too hard about it b3cause very few effects care and unless you can directly protect it *now* with taunt shadow self or similar I generally assume the critical piece of my line will be gone before my next turn anyway.

13 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

How are you putting creatures down not on flanks?

If I have two or more creatures I want to play on a turn, I wonder how to drop them: best one on flank, best one off flank, or place the two of them each on flank.

But yeah, setting up taunts, neighbourly boosts (Ganger Chieftain) and other things you proactively do will matter more than what your opponents may do.

There really isn’t much of a safe spots to put your creatures. Aside from taunt your opponent is free to attack your creatures as they see fit. And playing less creatures to try and get a ‘perfect’ battleline arrangement will just end up with your opponent using said removal anyway and playing more creatures to have more reaping opportunities thus putting then ahead anyway.

Alot of the useful utility cards in this game are at the lower rarities, so their seen often enough in their houses that opponents tend to have reliable answers when needed.

Brobnar - generally deals damage to all creatures or to a target. The only cards that you'll need to pay attention to is Lava Ball (Rare, 4 damage to a target and 2 splash damage) and Tremor (stun a target and its neighbors)

Dis - There's Hand of Dis (Destroy a creature not on a flank) and Snudge (play: return an artifact or flank creature to its owner's hand)

Logos - Positron Bolt (3 damage to a flank creature, 2 to its neighbor and 1 to the other creature's neighbor) and Harland Mindlock (Rare, play: take control of a creature on a flank until he leaves play)

Mars - Basically none. The only effect in Mars that cares for position is Zorg's before fight (stun a creature and its neighbors)

Sanctum - Mighty Lance (Rare, 3 damage and 3 to one neighbor), Radiant Truth (Stun each enemy creature not on a flank) and Lord Golgotha (Rare, before fight: deals 3 to each neighbor of the creature he's attacking)

Shadows - Booby Trap (deals 4 on a creature not on a flank + 2 splash damage), Longfused Mines (Rare, 3 damage to each enemy not on a flank), Special Delivery (artifact with omni: sacrifice to deal 3 to a flank creature), Bulleteye (Rare, reap: destroy a flank creature), Smiling Ruth (Rare, reap: if you forged a key on your turn, gain control of a flank creature) and Silent Dagger (upgrade, reap: deals 4 to a flank creature)

Untamed - none.

Shadows have 5 cards that target the flank creature and one to non flank. Not a lot to worry against Untamed and Mars.

Sanctum just have those 2 that target one creature and neighbors and Radiant Truth that stuns all enemy creatures not on flanks.

Against logos you might wanna never leave your battleline like this in terms off power: lets say 5,2,1, as Positron Bolt will deal 2 and 1. Might want to leave the 1 in the middle.

Dis has basically one removal and cares for non flank

Edited by Mushra93
typed something wrong :P

On 12/17/2018 at 9:01 AM, Mushra93 said:

Brobnar - generally deals damage to all creatures or to a target. The only cards that you'll need to pay attention to is Lava Ball (Rare, 4 damage to a target and 2 splash damage) and Tremor (stun a target and its neighbors)

Dis - There's Hand of Dis (Destroy a creature not on a flank) and Snudge (play: return an artifact or flank creature to its owner's hand)

Logos - Positron Bolt (3 damage to a flank creature, 2 to its neighbor and 1 to the other creature's neighbor) and Harland Mindlock (Rare, play: take control of a creature on a flank until he leaves play)

Mars - Basically none. The only effect in Mars that cares for position is Zorg's before fight (stun a creature and its neighbors)

Sanctum - Mighty Lance (Rare, 3 damage and 3 to one neighbor), Radiant Truth (Stun each enemy creature not on a flank) and Lord Golgotha (Rare, before fight: deals 3 to each neighbor of the creature he's attacking)

Shadows - Booby Trap (deals 4 on a creature not on a flank + 2 splash damage), Longfused Mines (Rare, 3 damage to each enemy not on a flank), Special Delivery (artifact with omni: sacrifice to deal 3 to a flank creature), Bulleteye (Rare, reap: destroy a flank creature), Smiling Ruth (Rare, reap: if you forged a key on your turn, gain control of a flank creature) and Silent Dagger (upgrade, reap: deals 4 to a flank creature)

Untamed - none.

Shadows have 5 cards that target the flank creature and one to non flank. Not a lot to worry against Untamed and Mars.

Sanctum just have those 2 that target one creature and neighbors and Radiant Truth that stuns all enemy creatures not on flanks.

Against logos you might wanna never leave your battleline like this in terms off power: lets say 5,2,1, as Positron Bolt will deal 2 and 1. Might want to leave the 1 in the middle.

Dis has basically one removal and cares for non flank

My previously provided statement includes some cards that this quote does not, while not including other cards that this quote does. These differences seem to be based around differences in beliefs about what should be considered, and not due to oversites by  either party. This means that neither party is wrong, just considering different variables.

Example 1: For brobnar, I included Valdr. This card makes flanks more dangerous so I included it, but it probably won't be a surprise, so Mushra did not.

Valdr

Creature: Valdr deals +2[D] while attacking an enemy creature on the flank.

Example 2: For brobnar again, I did not include Lava Ball. This card doesn't specifically target non-flank so I didn't include it, but it does incentivize non-flanks. 

Lava Ball (Rare, 4 damage to a target and 2 splash damage)

Now that I have established the differences in our styles, here are the numbers I got from my research that I didn't have on me before. They are listed by house, and area of opponent's board that they target. Sanctum with 2 of the following (Dis, Mars, Untamed) are the only deck combos with more non-flank options than flank options. But as previously mentioned, this is only 12 cards out of the entire set (some of which are rare), so representations is low.  

Brobnar: Flank 1, Non-Flank 0

Dis: Flank 1, Non-Flank 1

Logos: Flank 2, Non-Flank 0

Mars: Flank 0, Non-Flank 0

Sanctum: Flank 0, Non-Flank 1

Shadows: Flank 4, Non-Flank 2

Untamed: Flank 0, Non-Flank 0

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, Duciris said:

Sandwiched between a Taunt and a Shadow Self.

Protectrix, Champion Anaphiel, Shadow Self, THING I WANT TO PROTECT, Champion Anaphiel, Protectrix

Yeah that thing is pretty darn safe. Put in a Grey Monk for +1 armor to everyone and it get's even more invulnerable.

Stuf like this is why I like Gateway to Dis...

6 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

Yeah that thing is pretty darn safe. Put in a Grey Monk for +1 armor to everyone and it get's even more invulnerable.

Or Coward's End, or Cooperative Hunting, or Save the Pack, or Mothergun. ;) 

14 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

14 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Indeed.

21 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Ah Mothergun can be such a pain! Last game my opponent had Mother gun and Seeker needle out, and I was stuck with a bunch of small creatures in my hand. In the end I just dumped them all in a Feeding Pit and got the aember for my last key that way.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:45 AM, Duciris said:

Sandwiched between a Taunt and a Shadow Self.

Protectrix, Champion Anaphiel, Shadow Self, THING I WANT TO PROTECT, Champion Anaphiel, Protectrix

Add an Armageddon Cloak, and you've got yourself a party. 

24 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Actually, my other deck has 3 Champions, 1 Protectrix, & 1 Armageddon Cloak.  :rolleyes:

My favorite is my Maureen, Southton Protector deck. It has a Vaultkeeper, Armageddon Cloak, Champion, 2 Shadow Self, and 2 Regrowth. It's totally built around negating the steals, and has some pretty good answers in it. 

On 12/19/2018 at 1:37 AM, Robin Graves said:

I've got one deck with two Yxillix Dominators and 3 Grey Monks, talk about invulnerable boardstates...

On 12/19/2018 at 4:31 PM, Robin Graves said:

Ah Mothergun can be such a pain! Last game my opponent had Mother gun and Seeker needle out, and I was stuck with a bunch of small creatures in my hand. In the end I just dumped them all in a Feeding Pit and got the aember for my last key that way.

I'm sure it went nothing like this, but this is how I imagine the end of that game playing out:

Him: Okay, I use Mothergun and Seeker Needle and kill your Mother

he giggles and pus on a mocking tone.

Him imitating You: "What'd you say about my momma?"

Him looking around just to make sure, then imitating Chris Rock: "I said the ***** is dead."

Him doing the explosion arm thing while staring at you with a stern expression: Pass turn.

You: I throw everyone in a pit. *cough* check *cough*.  Pass turn.

Him: You…just threw…you, threw them all in a pit?!?

You: Yeah, they're disposable; I'm an immortal being, and I've got places to be. C'mon, we're almost on turns.

Him: Okay, I'll reap with.

He then stops to go throuth every John Smyth'in Mars ability…

Him: Five, and put you in check. Pass turn.

You Flip key, say "gg," swipe your kit into your bag, and tip your hat as you dash off to report.

Never date a Martian. Fellas, am I right? They're always so exhausting, then they're readying, then exhausting, then readying…

Edited by debiant
reworked joke at the end.

2 hours ago, debiant said:

I'm sure it went nothing like this, but this is how I imagine the end of that game playing out:

Never date a Martian. Fellas, am I right? They're always so exhausting, then they're readying, then exhausting, then readying…

Lol. It wasn't at a tournament for starters...  But my tought process went like this

Me (start of game): "Feeding pit? Meh Don't think I'll use it, oh well might aswell play it and draw one more card."

Me (mid game): "Wow, I can't play any of these creatures or they will die." (They were from all 3 houses, so I'd be only to play one or maybe two per turn, and they'd end up DOA)

Me (a few turns later): "Unbelievable, I got a hand full of creatures and I can't play- wait Hand full, how many cards now? And I have that pit. Hmmm. Can't play them all at once, but I can dump 'em all at once! Bye fellas!"

It's as the saying goes: "When life gives you lemons, the lemons get squeezed.

2 hours ago, debiant said:

They also make bad allies.

Martians

I'm starting to see a theme here...

Speaking of exausting: 2nd game of the pre-release: My opponent had out: Kelifi dragon and two Ulyq megamouth.  (Managed to get rid of the dragon on the next turn, but by then the damage was done.)

Edited by Robin Graves

2 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Lol. It wasn't at a tournament for starters...  But my tought process went like this

Me (start of game): "Feeding pit? Meh Don't think I'll use it, oh well might aswell play it and draw one more card."

Me (mid game): "Wow, I can't play any of these creatures or they will die." (They were from all 3 houses, so I'd be only to play one or maybe two per turn, and they'd end up DOA)

Me (a few turns later): "Unbelievable, I got a hand full of creatures and I can't play- wait Hand full, how many cards now? And I have that pit. Hmmm. Can't play them all at once, but I can dump 'em all at once! Bye fellas!"

It's as the saying goes: "When life gives you lemons, the lemons get squeezed.

Dump them all at once? How? Feeding Pit is an action it only works once per round...

On 12/15/2018 at 5:49 AM, Whiz Canmaj said:

I've been trying to improve my gameplay, and part of it is playing around situational removal. Booby Trap and Hand of Dis are made to take out creatures not in flank, but Positron Bolt deals more damage to creatures on a flank. iTunes Mobdro TutuApp

Is there a general "safer" place to put creatures in: on the flank or between the flanks? Or is it a House-to-House basis (Shadows and Dis, put on the flank; or Logos, put between the flanks)? Are there some flank/non-flanking cards that I'm not taking into account?

Well, that takes the fun right out of it.

Edited by Morichtykoko