JJH_BATMAN

Is the Mining Guild TIE worth it?

12 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

VERY casual yeah lol Cards are fine, I play people who just print lists. But having a crappy paper base chit? Nooope.

In casual games, why not just use some other ship's base?  I did that with my three-Lambda list.

On 12/15/2018 at 4:37 PM, Hiemfire said:

That "rubbish" TIE still has a better dial. Sentry vs Academy that 1 point extra for the Sentry is about right. Don't like em? Bring Debris Clouds...

Pfftt, the rubbish dial is what, reduced speed K turn and a 5 forward is now red? Just how useful is a 5 forward in comparison to being able to fly through asteroids? Its the ability that Dash pays for dearly and yet these scum ties get it for 1 point. 

Bring debris clouds? Yes sure, but that implies I have psychic abilities to know exactly what my opponent will fly.

1 hour ago, william1134 said:

Pfftt, the rubbish dial is what, reduced speed K turn and a 5 forward is now red? Just how useful is a 5 forward in comparison to being able to fly through asteroids? Its the ability that Dash pays for dearly and yet these scum ties get it for 1 point. 

Bring debris clouds? Yes sure, but that implies I have psychic abilities to know exactly what my opponent will fly.

….

Maneuver modified tie ln fighter Maneuver tie ln fighter

Dial difference - 1 pts

Modified TIE/Ln ability + 2 pts

Total = + 1 pt

Bring Debris Fields if you have a problem with them. The Modified TIE/Ln only ignores asteroids when moving. Dash ignores everything.

Edited by Hiemfire

59 minutes ago, william1134 said:

I know it's a personal thing, but I bring them 90% of the time anyway. I'll happily take a stress in order to still shoot in those moments where I misjudge something and land on an obstacle.

4 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Real curious if the Imperial Generic TIEs are set for a point reduction in January.  If not, I think the Scum TIE is too cheap.  They don't need to worry about 9 ship lists anymore due to the rules.

If they do, then you'll see a sharp increase in swarms, as right now you're 1 point over on a Howl/Iden/Acad 3x swarm with Soontir, which seems sort of insane.  And it gives the Whisper/Howl swarm more tools to play with, which probably isn't ideal either.

So if the scum ties are indeed too cheap, we're likely to see an increase instead. I'd argue that they're probably fine as is, mostly due to the prevalence of ordnance and the slightly worse dial. I could instead see the Binayre Pirate dropping by a point as right now it's paying extra for an illicit slot and 1 less init than the rebel version. 

As for the main topic, really excited to see the mining guild on the table - Tractoring at range 2 seems super scary and Seevor is just an absolute pain in any list so we've got some more good scum filler. My hope is it'll give us more unique swarm lists :D

Edited by Simonsays3

On 12/14/2018 at 4:54 PM, JJH_BATMAN said:

Is the mining guild tie worth it in real money and x wing points?

Absolutely not, at least until the Jakku Gunrunner gets a massive point increase.  Even if the Quadjumper goes up 5 Points in January, it will still be incomparably better than TIE Fighers or Z-95s or Rebel A-Wings. 

So, basically, if you're ever tempted to put a Mining Guild TIE in your Scum list instead just slap in a PS1 Quadjumper or Unkar Plutt and call it good.

Everyone is talking about running mining TIEs with trick shot, but what happens when your asteroid-hugging swarm runs up against an enemy list which is also running trick shot? People like to add trick shot as filler and it's an excellent upgrade for blasting TIEs hiding in the rocks

4 minutes ago, gadwag said:

Everyone is talking about running mining TIEs with trick shot, but what happens when your asteroid-hugging swarm runs up against an enemy list which is also running trick shot? People like to add trick shot as filler and it's an excellent upgrade for blasting TIEs hiding in the rocks

Thats the basic go to for myself and my buddies.

28 minutes ago, gadwag said:

I'm looking at using them with Juke or Outmaneuver... Squad Leader or Swarm Tactics Proach being the exception.

I don’t know about the others but Cpt Seevor is amazing. He feels a little too good for his point cost. The token debuff zone that him and Palob can create just nueters anything that comes close. Theres nothing else like that in the game and almost no defense against it and Scum has exclusive access to it.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:54 PM, JJH_BATMAN said:

Is the mining guild tie worth it in real money and x wing points? How many should I buy? How many should I fly? Is it better in swarms or as a filler or ace? Thanks!

Definitely worth owning one even if it’s not competitive.  It’s a nice model.  I bought three of them to use as captured ties.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:00 AM, InterceptorMad said:

VERY casual yeah lol Cards are fine, I play people who just print lists. But having a crappy paper base chit? Nooope.

In casual games just leave the imperial bases on the ship. I have 15 tie fighters some yellow paint andproxying an imperial base is the way I’m going to go.  

20 hours ago, Matanui3 said:

Seevor firing at I6 with Swarm tactics is pretty nice.  He blows up real fast, though.

If he blows up he's cheap - the real challenge is keeping him near enough to han or Fenn to use swarm tactics

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, Hiemfire said:

….

Maneuver modified tie ln fighter Maneuver tie ln fighter

Dial difference - 1 pts

Modified TIE/Ln ability + 2 pts

Total = + 1 pt

Bring Debris Fields if you have a problem with them. The Modified TIE/Ln only ignores asteroids when moving. Dash ignores everything.

It would have been more interesting if they kept the 4 K-turn. Knowing that it can't do a shallow K-turn would have been a great exploit.

I'd completely forgotten dengar, and I'm actually going to give him a try with seevor. Unlike Han (who likes to skirt the edges) and Fenn (who has to dodge arcs) dengar is happy rolling up through the middle of the fight.

Talonbane also strikes me as a good swarm tactics partner for seevor, but i5 jam isn't nearly as problematic for alpha strikes as i6 jam