Schu81

Fraction Limitations on Cards

Hello everyone!

Honestly, I find it quite a bit disappointing that a lot of cards are fraction limited nowadays.

BB Astromech or Heroic are a good example. They could very well be available for Rebels, too, and they would (probably?) not be overpowered.

I know there have been some problems with upgrade cards in the past. There are tons of combinations which you can hardly even think of in the first place, so this might lead to overpowered ships.

So what do you think? Is FFG taking the fraction limitations too far nowadays?

1 minute ago, hargleblarg said:

Not even close. Having distinct ships and upgrades is important towards defining each faction's flavor. If anything, I wish more upgrades were faction specific.

Well, not just flavor, but also balance.

With upgrades faction-locked, the game is far less likely to develop a runaway combo down the road.

What I would actually like to see developed is intra-faction aggression cards.  For example, a Rebel pilot who gets a bonus if his enemy is Imperial.

I know people will immediately argue that this would be too situation-specific, and thus poor game design.  Au contraire, mon frere: this allows players to respond to the meta via list-building:  When one faction is out of hand, others can begin to field it's predators, bringing the whole game back in line organically, without errata and point adjustments.

8 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

With upgrades faction-locked, the game is far less likely to develop a runaway combo down the road.

What I would actually like to see developed is intra-faction aggression cards.  For example, a Rebel pilot who gets a bonus if his enemy is Imperial.

I know people will immediately argue that this would be too situation-specific, and thus poor game design.  Au contraire, mon frere: this allows players to respond to the meta via list-building:  When one faction is out of hand, others can begin to field it's predators, bringing the whole game back in line organically, without errata and point adjustments.

I respectfully disagree.  If I want to choose between hard-counters, I'll play Rock-Paper-Scissors.

12 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I respectfully disagree.  If I want to choose between hard-counters, I'll play Rock-Paper-Scissors.

It's not a hard counter, per se.  With 7 factions, you have a 1-in-7 chance of taking a useless pilot ability, if the meta is balanced.

If it's not balanced, you have a lever. . .

It's just like the color-based cards in Magic.  Except, without a sideboard, it's a gamble to waste those points on something you will not see.

UNLESS the current meta guarantees you'll see it.  In which case, those abilities will level the meta organically, predator vs. prey.

And, lastly, the effects should not be crazy good.  Just good enough that "this guy is better against X."

Edited by Darth Meanie

9 hours ago, Schu81 said:

Hello everyone!

Honestly, I find it quite a bit disappointing that a lot of cards are fraction limited nowadays.

BB Astromech or Heroic are a good example. They could very well be available for Rebels, too, and they would (probably?) not be overpowered.

I know there have been some problems with upgrade cards in the past. There are tons of combinations which you can hardly even think of in the first place, so this might lead to overpowered ships.

So what do you think? Is FFG taking the fraction limitations too far nowadays?

I don't think so. Most of the "fraction"  cards so far are for people, unless you suddenly want Vader to be in the Falcon with Han.

The cards that aren't people that are "fraction" restricted are either "fraction" pilot talents that are meant to show the essence of that "fraction". The other like BB astro are due to fluff as well. BB astros were not made until the sequel era, so kinda hard to believe they were around during the prequel and original eras.

10 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I like this, makes me think of the D&D Ranger "favored enemy" trait.

Sure, I'm guessing most Rebel pilots are down with killing the Empire, but if my wife and cats got blowed up on Alderaan I might be a little more excited about hunting Imperials.

I don't want blanket EPT's where you can load an entire squad with anti-<faction> upgrades, but a Limited upgrade could be fun.

12 hours ago, Schu81 said:

Honestly, I find it quite a bit disappointing that a lot of cards are fraction limited nowadays

Honestly, this is the kind of limitation that makes full sense and with which i see mostly beneficial to the game.

While stuff like splitting formats and limiting 3/4 of the available stuff will become a real problem really fast.

While BB-series astromechs (or something like them- The one that appears in the final Aftermath book has a different designation) were starting to see deployment by the end of the Galactic Civil War, they were only compatible with the prototype T-70s, so it makes sense the Rebels can't use them.