Lyraeus

Am I weird here? Self deck testing

So I like to test decks to see what things pop up and what answers you can come up with. 

Yes I know, it screams NEEEERRRRRDDDDD! but it's what I have done since I learned chess.

Anywho, I like using a particular deck to first test a deck in a 2 out of 3 format. 

Larkin of Glodga

It's hyper trolling but it works well in coming up with answers and how long can those answers last

Edited by Lyraeus

21 minutes ago, Mushra93 said:

You mean you test your decks against Larkin of Glodga?

Don't worry, I do solo tests too.

Yup. It's my base deck to test against then I go against some of my higher power decks

26 minutes ago, Poposhka said:

Yea that was the first deck I checked on Burger Tokens and was like... Huh, that's a lot of creatures. 

Best part, 14ish cards are duplicates so getting they are high... While laying down 3 Succubus on a player is harsh. Especially if they have chains

Hi

LOL playing this game by yourself doesn't feel bad at all compared to playing MTG by yourself. I find my combo-centric Dagen, Autoputer Inventor deck wins more games than my other decks simply because of it's synergies, it has an average amount of creatures. My Apprentice who shrouds Weaponry deck has the most doubles and creatures (24) but due to it's aggro nature and less actions cannot pop off as much amber as Dagen's combo yet can keep all of its weak creatures down.

cheers

Same here. I also playtest most of my decks before I play with them against other players. With CCG's it's mostly to see if the synergy is good or not. (do I need more resources? Can I replace a needed card with a card that let's me draw more? How many turns on avergae does it take to get all the cards for my winning combo?- Stuff like that.)

Sadly it's very hard to play Netrunner against yourself.

It may seem weird to do but it's a fairly common thing to do. Especially when you are taking a deck to a tournament. 

I give ever deck a good shuffle and test what my opening hand with it could be like. I do this several times with every new deck I get. I'll test it further if I have the time.

I admittedly have not done this more than once but I feel it’s easier to be more objective with this game. I think for the most part you’re going to make the best decisions you can make with each deck seeing how there is not much interaction between the two on individual turns if that makes sense.

In short it is something I’d like to do a little more. Plus it would be fun to run them tourney style and see which one comes out on top!

I am doing something very similar to this. My son is six years old and not yet able to read. But he loves the game (the pictures, the action ...) although he is not really able to play it on his own. So when we play against each other it is basically me playing against myself  because I have to take care of all the rules, the card texts ... Thereby I see how my decks work, what synergies there are ... However, it is way more fun than just sitting there alone.

Ya I deck test against my other decks as well. I have a deck that makes a ridiculous amount of aember with little effort and without needing any kind of combo to pull it off. It does not have a huge amount of board control or Aember control, but its generation is so extreme that I like to test decks against it to see how they handle what I would call an "aggro" deck in this game.

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/e1085897-d863-41a0-97a4-93389bddc908

Edited by tunewalker

Self deck testing in Keyforge is easier than other games since the opponent can’t do any thing on your turn. Hence you can play as you normally would. It’s alot easier to ignore knowledge of the other hand because 99% of the time you’d play the turn out exactly the same even with the knowledge.

In M:tG or Yu-Gi-Oh and most other games you can’t properly self playtest because you have exact knowledge of what you wouldn’t normally have, the other hand of cards. Since those games have interaction on opponents turns you run afoul of trying to out play yourself because of the exact knowledge of whats in the other hand, when normally you could just attempt to out play them by guessing what they could play.