IndyPendant

Those with the new kits - did FFG screw us over again?

With the 2.0 conversion kits, FFG made some idiotic decisions, that created imbalances and shortages so that while -technically- true, the ability to fly xx ships after any one type was blatantly and baldly misleading.  See my original post:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/282713-list-of-conversion-kit-annoyances

As a result, I've refused to preorder the Resistance and First Order kits, waiting to see if FFG pulled the same bullcrap shenanigans.

So, my question to those of you that have the kits: do we actually have the promised numbers of each generic ship token and card, and do they actually match each other?

Edited by IndyPendant

lots has already been said in these forums about what FFG got wrong with the conversion kits. The list is large. They wanted to create a product that would appeal to new players and retain existing players.  I have a good friend who invested a tremendous amount into 1.0 ships and he understandably was gun shy about buying into 2.0. I was too, and my collection was a fraction of the size of his (I started playing in wave 1).

The good news is most existing 1.0 ships will be still be playable, eventually - pending some points adjustments and staggering of ships being added to Hyperspace format.

The bad news? You have to buy the new starter box to get the new damage deck and movement templates which also come with 3 ships you will already own if u have been playing x-wing for a while (i personally will never use them because im a scum player but i still paid for them)

The ugly news? some essential upgrade cards (Han gunner, 0-0-0 crew and Moldy Crow title) are only available in certain kits and expansions. Long story short FFG is holding your wallet hostage even though you have probably invested a tremendous amount of money in their 1.0 version of x-wing.

I only bought scum kit and starter box but i will need to by Lando's Falcon and rebel conversion kit to get the cards i need to play the scum lists I like. Its a pain but at least I own enough scum ships  from 1.0 to build competitive lists (except Jakku Gunrunner...but i'll borrow that and wait to see what happens with the january points rebalancing before I by a ship and then see it nerfed... When FFG zig, you need to zag... they have burnt me before... anyone else out their with 3 jumpmasters collecting dust?)

In summary. The game is in a pretty good place. X-Wing players who made it from 1.0 are just a lot more cautious about buying stuff. FFG is on notice. 1.0 needed a shakeup. No question. It has just come at a cost for older 1.0 players like myself. It is hard not to feel cheated.Building that trust up again will take time.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

30 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

In summary. The game is in a pretty good place. X-Wing players who made it from 1.0 are just a lot more cautious about buying stuff. FFG is on notice. 1.0 needed a shakeup. No question. It has just come at a cost for older 1.0 players like myself. It is hard not to feel cheated.Building that trust up again will take time.

I think this is a pretty excellent summation of my feelings.  I can't comment that 2.0 is in a better place because I refuse to shell out for a conversion.  And my trust is gone until I see that Epic will be a thing again.  And, yes, the lousy app is also a big factor and a loss of trust.

What I plan to do is keep on trucking with Republic and CiS.  I might convert Resistance and FO because I will get better value out of those cheaper ConKits, and they are factions that will see a lot of 2.0 only ships.

Odds are, I will never convert Empire, Rebels, and Scum because those factions will not be cost effective for me to update, and I'm fine playing them as 1.0.  At $150 for all 3, those ConKits are a whole 1-2 Waves of Republic I can buy.

But the cost of conversion has meant that FFG has not/will not see any of my gaming dollars for a year.

2 hours ago, IndyPendant said:

So, my question to those of you that have the kits: do we actually have the promised numbers of each generic ship token and card, and do they actually match each other?

While I never saw anything promised for the Resistance or First Order conversion kits, the full contents of both (including which pilots are on the front / back of the Ship tokens) are all listed on the wiki.

The short answer is that there are equal numbers of dials and generic pilots for each ship in both the Resistance Kit and the First Order Kit. All of the named pilots have generics on the back and I would be hard pressed to find a combination I couldn't make in a 200 point list. It's a much better job then the first three conversion kits in ship token distribution.

38 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Odds are, I will never convert Empire, Rebels, and Scum because those factions will not be cost effective for me to update, and I'm fine playing them as 1.0.  At $150 for all 3, those ConKits are a whole 1-2 Waves of Republic I can buy.

lol, convert a total of 90+ships or buy 10. The math here is astounding on what you find a bargain.

12 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

lol, convert a total of 90+ships or buy 10. The math here is astounding on what you find a bargain.

I don’t necessarily agree with Meanies position, but to him that is content he already owns and doesn’t feel he should need to invest to update.

Speaking as a crazy man who got two of each wave 1 conversion kit, it is not cheap but does update a majority of collections with only a few outliers like A-Wings and Z-95s although I’ve yet to find a time where I will use any of them because I’m not someone who often runs swarms.

The wave 2 kits are better, I only needed one of each to convert my entire fo and resistance stuff. There are a few oddities like only one copy of the black squadron pilot for the T70 though.

i think  the oddities will correct themselves as the expansion packs for each ships get released as individual ships. just as with 1.0 there will be players in ur local community who will have unwanted copies so if u r patient and borrow upgrades and the odd ship for ur competitive squads u will be fine. Rule of thumb here is to buy LESS than what you need and borrow what you can. Some ppl will be happy to just invest in one of each kit right out of the gates. i am sharing the cost of a rebel conversion kit with a friend who needs more generics, whereas i just need the Moldy Crow title card.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

FFG stayed how many dials would be in the pack. They didn’t say you’d get X number of generics and put Y in the conversion kits, unless I’m missing something.

The conversion kits kits are an absolute bargain for the amount of fun I’ve had playing what is close to a new game with all the changes made. I would gladly do it again. 

7 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

The ugly news? some essential upgrade cards (Han gunner, 0-0-0 crew and Moldy Crow title) are only available in certain kits and expansions. Long story short FFG is holding your wallet hostage even though you have probably invested a tremendous amount of money in their 1.0 version of x-wing.

At least in the UK, there's a few options for buying single cards from the conversion kits and expansions.  It's not the most efficient option if you want lots of cards (particularly as there are some solid discounts to be had on the conversion kits), but picking up a few cards like Han, 0-0-0, and the Moldy Crow shouldn't be too expensive.

10 hours ago, Nyxen said:

I have over 500 ships.  It will cost me $150 to convert a fifth of my collection.

I only play casual.

I play all three factions.

I only play Epic.

None of the ConKits even lets you table a flight of starfighters except for the TIE Fighter, which is what I typically do in Epic.

My brother likes to fly 8 B-Wings in Epic.  He needs 4 Rebel Conversion Kits at $600 to play his favorite chassis they way he wants.

So, IRONIC DEEP BELLY LOL

FFG did not do anything nice for the players who have spent the most on the game.

9 hours ago, Ebak said:

I don’t necessarily agree with Meanies position, but to him that is content he already owns and doesn’t feel he should need to invest to update.

Speaking as a crazy man who got two of each wave 1 conversion kit, it is not cheap but does update a majority of collections with only a few outliers like A-Wings and Z-95s although I’ve yet to find a time where I will use any of them because I’m not someone who often runs swarms.

The wave 2 kits are better, I only needed one of each to convert my entire fo and resistance stuff. There are a few oddities like only one copy of the black squadron pilot for the T70 though.

Well, as @Nyxen will immediately point out, if I had the money to buy 500 ships, I have the money for ConKits.  But to feel like I got a reasonable conversion of what I own, I would want at least 2 of each kit, like you.  $300 is BS.  Plus, that's doesn't convert my Resistance or FO, so that's another $50+.  I can buy completely new Prequel faction in spades for that kind of money.  And, most importantly, since I only play for fun and mostly with my brother, 1.0 was dodgy but acceptable.

I'm with you on the Wave 2 kits.  They do a much better job for me with the ships I own, especially having 5 TIE/sf dials, the ship I like to fly.

So odds are my XWM world looks like this:  2.0 for CiS and Republic, maybe 2.0 for FO and Resistance, 1.0 forever for Empire and Rebels, and an old/new split of S&V.

But like @Da_Brown_Bomber stated above, my commitment to this game is going to be well below previous levels.  In fact, my promise to myself is to spend $0 on the game from here forward; I'm selling old games for store credit, and using that for XWM.  So, if I don't have something tp pawn, I'm not getting X-Wing.  To wit, I didn't get any Wave 2 ConKits yesterday because I only had enough credit for A-Wings and Mining TIEs.

11 hours ago, Nyxen said:

you're math is kinda wrong.  the kits only convert that if you own the right combination of ships AND fly the right lists.  even obvious popular lists of 3 to 4 ships require 2 conversions in some cases

So play 1.0 and dont play 2.0?

That seems to be your only solution beyond them just giving you what you want for free. 

Last time I checked they didnt make that many promises and most of them were fulfilled. Yeah it sucks for those of us with large collections, but no one is pointing a gun at you and telling you to play 2.0 either. This really was the best way for them to get new and old players without completely invalidating the old edition all together. 

Plus there is a second hand market for dials, OR you can get with your friends and trade for dials they have excess of! Thats what I did and friendship is magic.

14 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Well, on the bright side, this ******* will end over these last 2 factions converted. Now on to clone wars, where people will bizarrely be upset about the lack of kits!

I'm sure someone will complain about FFG not releasing a kit that lets them use their seven ARC in their Republic Epic list. :P

16 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Well, on the bright side, this ******* will end over these last 2 factions converted. Now on to clone wars, where people will bizarrely be upset about the lack of kits!

FFG will never win. I find life is easier when you only complain about things that matter like politics and whether or not Pineapple belongs on pizza (it doesn't!)

1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

you're math is kinda wrong.  the kits only convert that if you own the right combination of ships AND fly the right lists.  even obvious popular lists of 3 to 4 ships require 2 conversions in some cases

Math is each convo kit converts 2 ships a faction with an average of 15 shipsish per. I get that that's not a swarm of most things, but...

Also @Darth Meanie, I feel like this is the core of why people are upset about them. FFG made the convo kits with 100 (200)pts in mind, and people with collections like yours feel left out. That's 100% legit, but to say the convo kit is a bad value is not accurate.

Edited by Nyxen