Kingsguard

Are Snowtroopers Overpowered?

Look at their speed and Attack Dice on long range. With two moves they are about the same speed as regular stormtrooper with one move but they lack an efficient long range weapon. They net just above 2 hits with 6 white dice on long range. If you get the flamer to close range, they are amazing though, but your opponent knows that too :).

Play them a few times and you'll see that they have their place but are far from OP.

Yeah, having played them a lot. Not at all.

They are great attack magnets though so your stormies can do more. Nobody wants that flamer to get up close.

It’s like Biggs in xwing 1.0, except you’re not forced to shoot them (you just end up doing that ASAP to try and burn down the flamer before he’s in your grill)

6 hours ago, Kingsguard said:

I'm new but glancing at them....doesn't it seem kinda crazy to give them free attack actions?

Keep in mind, they can still only perform one attack each activation, even if they move twice.

8 hours ago, Kingsguard said:

I'm new but glancing at them....doesn't it seem kinda crazy to give them free attack actions?

I just ran them a few days ago, and they certainly don't feel OP. Too slow to blitz after yonder objectives, not enough damage output to hinder major threats. But their Heavy Weapon slot is decent, though less flexible than the Stormtrooper DLT-19.

Consider the Ion Snowtrooper. Right now, at least where I am, it doesn't seem like Rebel players can resist taking the AT-RT. You could at least harass the AT-RT and other vehicles with the Snowtroopers and create a zone of control. The Snowtroopers can maybe afford to Recover, Move, then Shoot to cripple vehicles. I run Veers, so at least one turn they might be able to Recover from Imperial Discipline. I run Vader, they can lose a trooper with New Ways to Motivate Them to get that Ion Trooper Recovered for free, then Aim, Move, Shoot.

Consider the Flametrooper. Lousy until Range 1, then awesome, especially against Low Profile + Duck and Cover troopers that love and create their own cover. Good for claiming objectives and creating an intimidating zone of control around said objective.

I think snowtroopers are pretty balanced overall (coming from a Rebels perspective).  In range 1 they are incredibly dangerous with a flamer upgrade, up to the point where they significantly change my board strategy.  A typical flamer unit w/extra trooper and grenade is about 85 points.  Leia is 90 points for comparison. At range though they're tossing out white attack dice (with surge) which I can get six of those for 22 points (no surge) on a Z6.  With speed one movements, upgrade costs, and their range 2+ performance I can't say they are overpowered.

36 minutes ago, Fistofriles said:

and it all about you. but most of your imperial opponents will be using them

I think you mean rebels in imperial uniforms.

which is a war crime.

Edited by Geressen

with the emperor now out, the snow trooper/Royal guard combo is a dangerous combo for swarm tactics that the rebels can specialize in. I ran a Emperor, x3 snow trooper with a combo of flame and ion upgrades, and 4 S.F. the other day and my opponent ran with dual air speeder and a lot of troopers and he even said that seeing this combo made him rethink how he would approach the field for now on. are they O.P. depends on who you run them with. veers/krennic won't be a good combo, vader/emperor would be a better fit.

12 hours ago, lukecook said:

When they get the imperial officer upgrade on them they’re gonna be narly...January can’t come soon enough for these boys. Not that they aren’t baller as is

In the spirit of Gressen: won't matter to me cause I won't mix snowtroopers with ordinary uniforms. Although I've been thinking about buying a couple extra Veers models and converting a somewhat hothic looking officer and radio operator.

37 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

In the spirit of Gressen: won't matter to me cause I won't mix snowtroopers with ordinary uniforms. Although I've been thinking about buying a couple extra Veers models and converting a somewhat hothic looking officer and radio operator.

Paint your officer as a Pantoran.

They live on a cold moon and frequently take trips to the Hoth-like planet it orbits.

Because of this, they pretty much don't care about the cold at all, so likely wouldn't bother with Environmental Gear which you can use to justify them wearing the standard uniform.

Here's what a Pantoran looks like:

latest?cb=20121204003921