Da_Brown_Bomber

Is anyone playing gunner crew NOT named Han?

I’ve been looking at basiv Goon/Grey Y-Wings with a Dorsal Turret (forward) and a Veteran Turret Gunner.  I first saw it last week when one of the guys at the shop I play at had Norra and Dutch flying in formation, both outfitted with R3s, Dorsal, Vet Tail Gunner, and Proton Torps.  The turrets were pointed forward most of the game, so R1 Primary shots were followed by a R1 Dorsal shot.  It was similar to the the old v1 BTL-A4 title.

Veteran Tail Gunner, Hotshot Gunner, Agile Gunner seem ok but a bit pricey and/or situational. Can we expect them to get a points decrease in the january rebalancing? 

For scum Dengar gunner just doesnt appeal and Bossk for 10pts seems overcosted for stressed double tap. Am i missing something?

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

9 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

I’ve been looking at basiv Goon/Grey Y-Wings with a Dorsal Turret (forward) and a Veteran Turret Gunner.  I first saw it last week when one of the guys at the shop I play at had Norra and Dutch flying in formation, both outfitted with R3s, Dorsal, Vet Tail Gunner, and Proton Torps.  The turrets were pointed forward most of the game, so R1 Primary shots were followed by a R1 Dorsal shot.  It was similar to the the old v1 BTL-A4 title.

I've been running Kavil with Swarm Tactics, VTG, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade and  a prox mine. It's a lot of fun to get into a range 1 furball, double tap with 7 red dice and then poop on the opponent's parade by dropping a prox mine on one of their ships. A lot of players haven't gotten use to the system phase yet.

6 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Veteran Tail Gunner, Hotshot Gunner, Agile Gunner seem ok but a bit pricey and/or situational. Can we expect them to get a points decrease in the january rebalancing? 

I think the whole points adjustment routine will be a crap shoot. I'm curious to see if FFG does a slash and burn like they did with the JM5K or a slower more balanced approach, like with the early Biggs.

1 minute ago, Stoneface said:

I think the whole points adjustment routine will be a crap shoot. I'm curious to see if FFG does a slash and burn like they did with the JM5K or a slower more balanced approach, like with the early Biggs.

i think they need to make loads of stuff cheaper as well as increase the cost of stuff thats undrcosted. Putting han gunner up by 3-4pts isnt gonna make the other crew a better alternative. 

8 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

i think they need to make loads of stuff cheaper as well as increase the cost of stuff thats undrcosted. Putting han gunner up by 3-4pts isnt gonna make the other crew a better alternative. 

I agree. It's just I'm pessimistic that a points adjustment won't upset the apple cart. FFGs track record isn't the best IMHO. 

3 hours ago, SOTL said:

Scum Han, Rey, Fifth Brother, Greedo.  Those are the ones worth running.

Does Fifth Brother have a platform for him, though? He's basically just a force point with a minor additional effect.

Bombers and Strikers seem too squishy to run a 12-point gunner, none of the Punishers are really hurting for pricy action economy... If the Deci was more playable, maybe there? (Outside of RAC, who already has offensive calculate-ish shenanigans).

I know you're also adamant that Rey + HanPilot > Finn + ReyPilot, but I wouldn't totally discount Finn as unplayable.

18 minutes ago, Lord_Haelmchen said:

Han gunner is not even a real gunner but rather PTL at I7 through the backdoor

It's when the ship engages, which is actually pretty relevant. All the I6s and (depending) I5s can shoot Boba before he gets to focus, for example.

It does let Boba stack mods through the roof, though, at least in Extended.

1 minute ago, svelok said:

It's when the ship engages, which is actually pretty relevant. All the I6s and (depending) I5s can shoot Boba before he gets to focus, for example.

Yeah, valid point. However, you do have perfect board knowledge when you decide for or against your ptl focus.

4 minutes ago, svelok said:

It has pros and cons.  I also can't strip it with Palob or Han's Hotcop...

4 minutes ago, svelok said:

On the other hand, it works if he bumps / loses his action in any other way.

6 minutes ago, SOTL said:

It has pros and cons.  I also can't strip it with Palob or Han's Hotcop...

6 minutes ago, Rojek said:

On the other hand, it works if he bumps / loses his action in any other way.

Right, the list just goes on and on. Don't know what they thought when they added the card. Can't wait for January.

Edited by Lord_Haelmchen

Just now, Lord_Haelmchen said:

Yeah, valid point. However, you do have perfect board knowledge when you decide for or against your ptl focus.

You don't necessarily know your own ranges and arcs yet, since it's before you engage. But in practice that usually doesn't matter unless it's super super borderline, yeah.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Haelmchen said:

Right, the list just goes on and on. Don't know what they thought when they added the card.

It's kinda fair in Hyperspace and especially on things other than Boba. Lando + Han Gunner sounds super wholesome.