Sign in to follow this  
Victarion13

What do you think?

I was just reading and writing on the forum, while this idea came up in my mind.

I started as a role player for the old L5R, and I started the card game only with the FFG (more easy to purchase in my home country now). So, what made me like this game, first of all, was the story and its evolution. So the story for me has always been more important than everything else.

So...

What about a restricted splash list for clans, according to the story of the various novellas? For example, Unicorn can't splash with Lion (because of the war), and also can't have any Phoenix cards (because, well, Meishodo and inquisition).

I don't think about it to as a rule for tournament, but a kind of house rule, or it can be an house rule for not official tournament. I know that a rule like this in a competitive system will be a wrong decision; but I would like to know other people opinion about it, or similar idea from other people as well. I really like deck with a kind of BG inside, following the story of the game. 

Also, based on this idea, which clans can not splash with which clans, in your opinion?

I'd love to see op kits that did things like this. An event where some houses can't splash each other, where certain clans get certain unusual roles, even a required province or unique character.

All to back up a plot point and ideally have the tallied results go towards a story decision or something. 

Let's see:

Crab can't splash Crane

Crane can't splash Crab or Lion

Dragon can't splash Scorpion (? Haven't finished the novella yet)

Lion can't splash Crane or Unicorn

Phoenix can't splash Unicorn

Scorpion can't splash Dragon (?) And Shoju and Kachiko can't be in the same deck. :D

Unicorn can't splash Lion or Phoenix

However, not that I don't like your idea and whole heartedly embrace it in casual settings, a few things to keep in mind-

The LCG is just a snap shot of what's going on in Rokugan. That's why we can use dead characters in our decks. 

The politics of Rokugan are just like the 5 elements, constantly in flux. What's happening in the story now doesn't necessarily invalidate another clan's influence on your clan. It could represent your samurai having adopted the tactics of that other clan, an influence through political marriage, the use of their items or weapons that were given as gifts in time of peace between the 2 clans, etc. There are many ways to explain the splashing in the narrative of the card game. 

My sons and I take a holistic approach to our forays into the world of Rokugan. We use a running setup of the Battle for Rokugan boardgame (as a campaign) to determine what clans will battle over a particular province. This decides what decks will be used to battle. Then, whichever clan wins in the LCG, takes control of the the province. This then determines which clan that deck will splash during its next game- symbolizing the adoption of the customs and culture of the captured province, rather than an eradication. 

I think Dragon can't splash with Scorpion and Lion (in a novella Hitomi pass in a Lion territory thinking its Crane, and making a mistake

16 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

My sons and I take a holistic approach to our forays into the world of Rokugan. We use a running setup of the Battle for Rokugan boardgame (as a campaign) to determine what clans will battle over a particular province. This decides what decks will be used to battle. Then, whichever clan wins in the LCG, takes control of the the province. This then determines which clan that deck will splash during its next game- symbolizing the adoption of the customs and culture of the captured province, rather than an eradication. 

That's huge! And... how long is one game at Battle for Rokugan? (lol)

It really does take weeks. Now we got into to the RPG so I don't know if we will tie that into too. 

We got the original idea from playing Imperial Assault, X-wing, and Armada the same way. This has been easy more fun though. 

The Battle for Rokugan is more of a "map with control tokens" illustrating our LCG campaign. However we REALLY do love that game, I daresay maaayyybe even more than the LCG but it lacks the depth we are looking for. 

On 12/15/2018 at 2:15 AM, HirumaShigure said:

It really does take weeks. Now we got into to the RPG so I don't know if we will tie that into too. 

We got the original idea from playing Imperial Assault, X-wing, and Armada the same way. This has been easy more fun though. 

The Battle for Rokugan is more of a "map with control tokens" illustrating our LCG campaign. However we REALLY do love that game, I daresay maaayyybe even more than the LCG but it lacks the depth we are looking for. 

I love Battle of Rokugan too.

Too bad I had too few game with it