Katarn

Character rules that seem out of place.

10 hours ago, mr_mithrandir said:

She shot that ATST pilot from the ground after the Ewoks attack… seemed like a tough shot. 🤷‍♂️

Also in the very first scene she kills a Stormtrooper with a single shot from a sporting blaster. Penetrating Stormtrooper armor is no joke especially with a light civilian weapon. It was a good shot. And the fact that she fired a single precise shot rather than spraying and praying also shows skill.

1 hour ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

The battle meditation art - Luke was never that calm and repose in battle (I know it’s not a character card but still . . .)

And you can put this card on Vader and Palp! None of them were even on Dagobah, ever, as far as we now!

This thread is silly and pointless, but I like it.

2 hours ago, Kingsguard said:
13 hours ago, mr_mithrandir said:

She shot that ATST pilot from the ground after the Ewoks attack… seemed like a tough shot. 🤷‍♂️

Also in the very first scene she kills a Stormtrooper with a single shot from a sporting blaster. Penetrating Stormtrooper armor is no joke especially with a light civilian weapon. It was a good shot. And the fact that she fired a single precise shot rather than spraying and praying also shows skill.

Good points. I take back my objections over Leia. 

29 minutes ago, Shanturin said:

This thread is silly and pointless, but I like it.

So is Star Wars.  You know, from a certain point of view. :D

Edited by Katarn

On 12/12/2018 at 9:02 AM, Katarn said:

I was reflecting on character rules that aren't in keeping with the movies considering what is and is not canon these days. 

I can see Leia being inspirational with the whole 'get to your ships' briefing for example so that so that makes sense, particularly when you take into account the wider background.  Then again, sharpshooter 2 makes less sense.  Sure, she shoots people, but they're not exactly hard targets.

Then there's Boba Fett.  Boba Fett has sharpshooter 2 which jars very much with his depiction- he has never hit a target.  He appears in three movies, is in combat in two of them and never hits anything. 

I'm not saying they're bad rules in the context of the game or even in the wider context of the Star Wars universe- they just get a wry smile.  Are there any other examples you can think of?

This inconsistency is a byproduct of the mentality that Legion is in someway reflective only of the movies. It is not. It's inspired by the films and everything else out there. 

Edited by Xiervak

17 hours ago, Crawfskeezen said:

I'll have to take your word for the first bit.

On the second, I was more referring to the seemingly disproportionate number of Ewok casualties in relation to the Imperial losses due to perceived Stormtrooper accuracy and efficiency. Although they did shoot Leia.

George Lucas, in the commentary on my DVD, points out how much more poorly the ewoks do in that battle than is generally assumed.

Edited by TauntaunScout

4 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

George Lucas in the commentary on my DVD points out how much more poorly the ewoks do in that battle than generally assumed.

Ah well, its a good thing that it is evident enough in the films that it didn't need a bonus features commentary... Oh wait.

18 hours ago, Kingsguard said:

That was no light civilian weapon in FFG's eyes. That thing is packing pierce according to Legion, and is also a powerful gun with an impressive dice pool and surge abilities in IA!

17 hours ago, Xiervak said:

This inconsistency is a byproduct of the mentality that Legion is in someway reflective only of the movies. It is not. It's inspired by the films and everything else out there. 

I know.  Somehow...I've always known.  ;)

4 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

A certain point of view?!

Running away and hiding in remote places when things go badly, is the only thing more sacred to the Jedi than lying their a***s off to their students.

I am a celebrity. From a certain point of view. So you should all be glad to pay $50 for my autograph.

I think a weird rule for characters is the way a lot of the command cards work. It's more of an overall mechanic than a rule I guess. But it makes it feel more like Napoleonic wargames or something.

Edited by TauntaunScout

15 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Running away and hiding in remote places when things go badly, is the only thing more sacred to the Jedi than lying their a***s off to their students.

I am a celebrity. From a certain point of view. So you should all be glad to pay $50 for my autograph.

I think a weird rule for characters is the way a lot of the command cards work. It's more of an overall mechanic than a rule I guess. But it makes it feel more like Napoleonic wargames or something.

You can only use force lightening (in place of grease lightening) multiple times if the tarot card comes up trumps! A bit like walking in boxes into musket fire.

1 hour ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

You can only use force lightening (in place of grease lightening) multiple times if the tarot card comes up trumps! A bit like walking in boxes into musket fire.

It's more in how activations are issued from a central hub and how the army can hallways fall apart without such a hub. Stuff like that is better for games that are of an era of communicating with flags, runners and bugles in a huge crowd, than 35 people with comm links.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, Derrault said:

I mean, is there any reason we wouldn’t think it’s him?

Just so everyone is clear who may be new to FFG's SW games.

General Weiss is one of the main antagonists in the very first campaign for FFG's Imperial Assault game.  He is known for being the head of a special weapon program and runs around in an experimental, heavily modified AT-ST (MOAR GUNZ!!!! - see below). He is basically the McGuffin that runs through the main campaign chapters and forces the rebel party further into the adventure.

There is no canon reference to him at all, pre or post-Disney takeover.  FFG just made him up.

You can pretend he's the dude from ROTJ that gets "womp-ratted" by Leia but that's not really him.

op080-general-weiss.png

Edited by FSD

29 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

IA is an important context to interpret SW:L in. I sometimes wonder if I'm missing references from not playing their spaceship games.

Not so much.  The pilots that are important come from the basic ephemera of Star Wars.  Soontir Fel comes to mind from the old Rogue Squadron novels.  Howlrunner is an EU character that got slotted in to various events.  She was even in Galaxies which I did not know and she's been in basic sets of both Xwing and Armada.  I can't personally think of any pilots or commanders for those that were both created specifically for one of the games and who then became also a major force in the game.  

Coincidentally I think the card art for boarding troopers is the best indication that we'll eventually have Imperial fleet troopers.

http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Boarding_Troopers