Katarn

Character rules that seem out of place.

I was reflecting on character rules that aren't in keeping with the movies considering what is and is not canon these days. 

I can see Leia being inspirational with the whole 'get to your ships' briefing for example so that so that makes sense, particularly when you take into account the wider background.  Then again, sharpshooter 2 makes less sense.  Sure, she shoots people, but they're not exactly hard targets.

Then there's Boba Fett.  Boba Fett has sharpshooter 2 which jars very much with his depiction- he has never hit a target.  He appears in three movies, is in combat in two of them and never hits anything. 

I'm not saying they're bad rules in the context of the game or even in the wider context of the Star Wars universe- they just get a wry smile.  Are there any other examples you can think of?

1 hour ago, Katarn said:

I was reflecting on character rules that aren't in keeping with the movies considering what is and is not canon these days. 

I can see Leia being inspirational with the whole 'get to your ships' briefing for example so that so that makes sense, particularly when you take into account the wider background.  Then again, sharpshooter 2 makes less sense.  Sure, she shoots people, but they're not exactly hard targets.

Then there's Boba Fett.  Boba Fett has sharpshooter 2 which jars very much with his depiction- he has never hit a target.  He appears in three movies, is in combat in two of them and never hits anything. 

I'm not saying they're bad rules in the context of the game or even in the wider context of the Star Wars universe- they just get a wry smile.  Are there any other examples you can think of?

There is actually a passage in Leia’s novel that references her marksmanship skills. 

10 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Also the many times she shoots stormtroopers, and General Weiss

It might be relegated to Legends at this point, but Leia was the best sharpshooter of the main cast (although Han was faster on the draw). I think mechanics play at least as big a role in these cases, though. Leia needs sharpshooter 2 to make her bombardment threatening, while Boba needed consistent firepower to make up for his high cost compared to the other non-force users.

2 hours ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

All true, but he is as inspiring as Captain Needa. Needa also had Vader on speed dial. He died.

You Sith Lords are always such downers.

"Remember that time a Sith killed someone to try and be bad *** and intimidating? No, not that time. Not that time either. NO, the other one!"  Sheesh...

NO! Lord Revan, I'm sorry!!!!😨

*inarticulate choking sounds*

As far as rules go, I know Obi-Wan references their precision, but stormtroopers have to be up there for the least accurate dudes in all of film history, so their precise keyword gets my vote for weird abilities.

Han's low profile gets runner up, though.

I mean, think about it: the guy goes barrelling down a hall screaming at the top of his lungs? Him blasting everything in sight (not to mention Chewie's howling)? Low profile, my butt.

Just now, Jedhead said:

As far as rules go, I know Obi-Wan references their precision, but stormtroopers have to be up there for the least accurate dudes in all of film history, so their precise keyword gets my vote for weird abilities.

As far as A New Hope goes, they were missing on purpose. They were allowed to escape as Leia so aptly points out so the Empire could track the Falcon back to Yavin. In The Empire Strikes Back we don't see too much of them fighting. On Bespin in Cloud City they're mostly trying to lure Luke into the carbonite chamber to be froze by daddy (This does not include the Snowtroopers that theoretically waste Echo Base on Hoth). In Return Of The Jedi however, I make no excuses for "A legion of [the Emperor's] finest troops," getting dusted by by a tribe of what I imagine Beanie Babies look like on LSD. In Rogue One they are pretty decent. Not monsters but not completely useless, but I think that is a technique used to outline how badass Death Troopers are (and Chirrut and Baze on Jhedda). In Rebels they make them look cartoonishly silly because its a kid's show I guess?.

In more serious settings and situations where they're not "intending" to be useless, they are pretty good shots and I probably "trust" Obi-Wan Kenobi more than any character in the Star Wars universe.

I'm also 100% positive FFG's design team did that as a little joke or easter egg, and they nailed it.

In the more technical sense of game design it really helps with their shooting because white dice are junk.

2 hours ago, Crawfskeezen said:

"A legion of [the Emperor's] finest troops," getting dusted by by a tribe of what I imagine Beanie Babies look like on LSD.

First, I can assure you beanie babies look nothing like ewoks when you're on halluciongenics.

Second, as always a numerically superior indigenous force can overcome a technologically advanced invading force, both in a single battle and over time.  I will point you to Vietnam, Iraqi Insurgents, Taliban forces (vs. both the USA and the Soviet Union), Little Bighorn......

And @Derrault you got a source on that....cuz they didn't even put that on wookipedia.

2 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

First, I can assure you beanie babies look nothing like ewoks when you're on halluciongenics.

Second, as always a numerically superior indigenous force can overcome a technologically advanced invading force, both in a single battle and over time.  I will point you to Vietnam, Iraqi Insurgents, Taliban forces (vs. both the USA and the Soviet Union), Little Bighorn......

I'll have to take your word for the first bit.

On the second, I was more referring to the seemingly disproportionate number of Ewok casualties in relation to the Imperial losses due to perceived Stormtrooper accuracy and efficiency. Although they did shoot Leia.

10 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

And @Derrault you got a source on that....cuz they didn't even put that on wookipedia.

I mean, is there any reason we wouldn’t think it’s him?

eb69077a6b446e19c20ff2c92796c08a.jpg

latest?cb=20180115235132