KFMixer

So RUDE to quit games ???!!???

12 minutes ago, KFMixer said:

There's literally zero difference if the person leaves or if they concede.  ...[Casual sexism]... Even the crucible developer says there's no difference.  Does getting stressed about that really help your life?  Take it as a win and move on.  Of course, you're allowed to stress your life for no reason, go ahead. 

The difference between leaving with or without concession is that if you don't concede, I might waste my time waiting for you to reconnect. So if your enemy is wasted time, it does make a difference.

More generally, if you enter intending not to finish and your opponents enters expecting a full game, you aren't playing the same game. We're playing different games with lots of overlapping rules. But there's a disconnect (pun not intended) there that's not resolvable unless you and your opponent are both on the same page. So either way, you need to communicate your intentions. And because the vast majority of players are expecting a full game, it's especially important to communicate if you're looking for a different experience.

Even more generally, rudeness is a function of etiquette, and etiquette is a more communal than individual function. If the group you're in thinks something is rude, it's rude. It doesn't matter if you're intending to be rude or not. So yes, quitting games in the Crucible would generally be considered rude. However, I think it's something where an individual's desires or needs might make it worthwhile.

So by all means, feel free to duck out of a game early. I've done it myself a few times. But do so with the knowledge that the person on the other side of the screen, who you have inconvenienced, is likely to consider you rude for doing so.

I'm still baffled that this is even a discussion amongst adults.

My children understand the concepts of sportsmanship and etiquette.

If you don't understand why it's rude to just leave a game without giving your opponent a heads up as to why, then you are either being a troll, you're a complete narcissist, or you are simply ignorant of the basic concepts of sportsmanship and etiquette.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:37 AM, KFMixer said:

Punishments for repeat offenders?  
We aren't playing keyforge here.  This isn't an official game.

We are just play testing draws, combos and decks.  Asking for punishment is a bit .... nazi-esque

You can't compare this game to soccer, because there are no bad draws, hurtful combos, or improper house choices in a game of soccer...........   Also, there's no penalty for a team to forfeit the game early in soccer.  It happens all of the time, so the single analogy that you make solidifies the ability to quit.

You can justify it however you want, but you asked the question and you don't like the answers you're getting. Whether it's because you're copping flack off someone you know or blow back on the chat feature in the crucible online.

I personally think that quitting is bad sportmanship and I've won plenty of games (MTG, Hearthstone and Keyforge) because I held out until the very end. The only way to know if you're going to win at all under tough conditions is to see if you can pull something off.

Saying "Hey, I'm scooping because I actually cannot beat you before you beat me. " Doesn't cost you anything either other than a couple of seconds.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, Krashwire said:

If there is no difference then just concede instead of leaving. It takes so little effort to not be a ******. Quit trying to justify being a ******, all that does is make you a ****** with excuses.

No, if there's no difference, then you're just whining about nothing... You're also so immature that you have to cuss with asterisks.  

On 12/13/2018 at 12:12 PM, krokmaster said:

The difference between leaving with or without concession is that if you don't concede, I might waste my time waiting for you to reconnect. So if your enemy is wasted time, it does make a difference.

More generally, if you enter intending not to finish and your opponents enters expecting a full game, you aren't playing the same game. We're playing different games with lots of overlapping rules. But there's a disconnect (pun not intended) there that's not resolvable unless you and your opponent are both on the same page. So either way, you need to communicate your intentions. And because the vast majority of players are expecting a full game, it's especially important to communicate if you're looking for a different experience.

Even more generally, rudeness is a function of etiquette, and etiquette is a more communal than individual function. If the group you're in thinks something is rude, it's rude. It doesn't matter if you're intending to be rude or not. So yes, quitting games in the Crucible would generally be considered rude. However, I think it's something where an individual's desires or needs might make it worthwhile.

So by all means, feel free to duck out of a game early. I've done it myself a few times. But do so with the knowledge that the person on the other side of the screen, who you have inconvenienced, is likely to consider you rude for doing so.

Thank you for bringing up rudeness..... it's much appreciated.  Is someone leaving an excuse for being rude to others?  I don't think so.  Even if someone thinks someone is rude for leaving, that doesn't justify being a jerk or being rude to others.  There's no excuse for being rude to anyone, even if they left the game.  Sure, you can not appreciate it... that's fine.  But, if you lash out, then who is the bad sportsman?  A good sportsman would say ... Oh, well I wish you'd have stayed but, thanks for the win... A bad sportsman would troll and cry and say how rude it is.... It's hilarious that just because someone feels they were slighted, that this condones themselves being immature and creating drama.  

Get over it, you won.  It's okay that it upset you that they left, but it's not helping you be a better sport.  If anyone has been rude, it is the people who want to try and MAKE others finish a game that they think is already over.  If you think that someone not clicking a concede button is reason for you to bad talk them, then you are the problem.  If anyone bad talks anyone or is rude to anyone, they are the problem.  If someone wants to finish 100% of the games, then they need to find an opponent who wants the same thing.  A good sportsman would understand that if they play random people, then they will get all kinds of random things that happen.  

If you're the type of person who can't handle someone leaving, then you should play competitive against people who you've asked not to leave.  It's that simple.  It's called foresight, but of course it's just much easier to get mad at everyone else.... because nothing is your fault (not talking to the person that I quoted of course, just the people who get all pissed off).  Anyone who disagrees with this is nearsighted, because they could find people in forums that won't quit to play with.  There are outlets to find serious games if desired.  If you don't do that, then just deal with randomness and please get over it.   Find an opponent who wants to take the game seriously, it's that easy.  

On 12/14/2018 at 1:55 AM, Greymarch2000 said:

Maybe the guys at the Crucible should just as a new type of game so you can choose from "Beginner" "Casual" "Competitive" and "I'm Just Testing Decks and Will Totally Ghost on You Bros" depending on what you want to do.

Or, maybe the people who want serious games can create some discussions on forums.  If you want to find a game where the opponent will play how you desire, then find an opponent in chat or some other area.  If you get a random opponent, then expect a random result.  Not everyone desires to play the same way as you, so if you want something in particular, go find it.  Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up to be upset.  

Why would you make the jump that I am just drawing?  I play my games, but am just tired of hearing people whine about others... just like what you're doing.  Of course, you can argue that the developer is wrong in saying that there's no difference between leaving and conceding, but then that's just your opinion.  I feel the same way as the developer, and think that people like you are rude of complaining about others, and assuming things about people.  Palpster, you've been more rude than anyone else on the thread.. and why?  Because some people quit games against you?  That really justifies you being rude to others?  Nice logic.

Of course Palpster, you're one of the people who think it's acceptable to cuss in discussion forums, because you simply put the first letter and then asterisks.  You should wake up and understand that children are on this forum..... but hey, it's not like cussing around children is rude.... NO, only leaving a game is rude.  Do you see how disrespectful you are of others, simply because some opponents quit against you?  

Oh, and I will report each and every person who cusses with asterisks.  I doubt FFG will do anything about it, but it's MANY times more disrespectful to see.... and anyone doing that has zero credibility on the topic of "sportsmanship", because you don't even have respect for people in an open discussion forum.  Go ahead, cuss like a sailor when discussing a game that children play on an forum where they will read.  That is the way to really show that you're the better person..... slow clap for the slow people.

Is this post, really still going? While I agree that it is extremely rude to leave without saying gg, or conceding, wouldn't the best answer to a rude person be to just ignore him? I mean gosh, state what you have to state once and leave to never return. Kids will be kids, after all...

7 hours ago, KFMixer said:

No, if there's no difference, then you're just whining about nothing... You're also so immature that you have to cuss with asterisks.  

It's a board filter to prevent bad language. The poster isn't self- censoring, he's probably describing you as an *******, because you're acting like one.

11 hours ago, KFMixer said:

Of course Palpster, you're one of the people who think it's acceptable to cuss in discussion forums, because you simply put the first letter and then asterisks.  You should wake up and understand that children are on this forum..... but hey, it's not like cussing around children is rude.... NO, only leaving a game is rude.  Do you see how disrespectful you are of others, simply because some opponents quit against you?  

Ageism is alive and well.  So, I've got two boys, 6 and 7, and my wife and I swear in front of them.  Why?  Well, words are just words.  Also, reality.  Also, they know certain people are sensitive to certain sounds and know when it's appropriate to swear and when it isn't.  Also, seriously?

I want this thread to cease, but One Stood against Many has resolved and it’s my turn. I choose DIScussion.

KFMixer, your whole problem with this quit without conceding issue is that it causes people to be rude and whine about people who quit, am I seeing that right?

Rudeness is the primary issue. So how are you justified in being rude to everyone who disagrees with you? Isn’t that a double standard? Why are you allowed to be rude (yes you have been) when others aren’t? Isn’t it possible that your further rudeness to many who have answered you is provactive and is clearly not going to help us all find an amicable solution?

If your objection is rudeness than I submit that your continued reliance on it isn’t beneficial to this discussion.

Also, because your previous replies have led me to believe you will respond in a hostile manner, I’ll let you know that I don’t play online and I have not had anyone quit a game unannounced on me. So the basis you’ve used to combat all other replies will not suffice for me. In short, I have elusive.

Also, just to help enlighten you on a misunderstanding, Palp’s use of “/s” is short for the word “sarcasm” and is not an abbreviation for pardoned French.

That is the end of my turn; I draw back up to six. Check.

In truth I don't mind if people concede or quit... but I would like them to say thanks for the game and bye.. It takes 30 seconds to type after all and regardless of win or lose you should always be polite and let someone know you are moving along.. 

I tent to talk during the games anyway which tenants to build a minor relationship with the other player so all games I've played have ended with a Good Game and Thanks... and often a long natter about the decks.

If people sit in silence in a game with no interactions with the other person the likely hood is people will just leave the game when its over or are losing badly without a word.. at which point your just as responsible for that reaction if you yourself did not invest in the relationship. 

Thanks  

Just so you all know ....... I don't quit for no reason.  I play out until I see that I have no chance.  Then, I say something like GG, you got me, or just gg then concede.  I don't condone people leaving for no reason, but I don't think it's the end of the world if they do.    I also offer rematches to people who lose against me.  I think that's another good sportsman thing

2 minutes ago, KFMixer said:

Just so you all know ....... I don't quit for no reason.  I play out until I see that I have no chance.  Then, I say something like GG, you got me, or just gg then concede.  I don't condone people leaving for no reason, but I don't think it's the end of the world if they do.    I also offer rematches to people who lose against me.  I think that's another good sportsman thing

You already know my stance.  based on what you have said you are doing, you aren't being rude.  I don't expect people to play to the last key no matter what.  

I don't think anyone is saying it's the end of the world.  It is just rude.  Unless you are English, then being rude IS the end of the world.

I'm sorry I just don't get what's going on here.

The OP asks for our opinions about internet quitters, tells us he doesn't do it, but, thinks it's ok for someone just up and quit a game without letting their opponent know, (cuz ya know testing decks somehow makes it ok to be rude) then, places the blame on those that get upset by quitters, accuses others of starting drama in the thread, threatens to report people for using asterisk, and finally reminds us they don't quit games and gives us some broad stroke hippy philosophy just chill bruh cuz "it's not the end of the world" drivel.

What exactly was the point of all this............?

And yes, this is coming from the same guy that made a joke thread about nut-punching instead of chains, wondering what the point of this thread was.  All I can think of was it was a desperate plea to have me add the OP to my ignore list?