Marinealver

PSA App Update Shenanigans!

So on Goggle Play and updating the app right now. Well looks like I have some work to do as I need to update my custom formats Allies & Mercenaries as well as a new bridge between 2nd edition and extended.

So in the "What's New" portion of Google Play it specificly says Resistance 1stOrder and Mining guild TIE has been added

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyflightgames.xwingsquadbuilder

After downloading the update there was no changes. Someone forgot to upload the update.

It works now

Edited by Marinealver
It works

5 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

So on Goggle Play and updating the app right now. Well looks like I have some work to do as I need to update my custom formats Allies & Mercenaries as well as a new bridge between 2nd edition and extended.

Downloaded the update and the two factions are still not popping up.

5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Downloaded the update and the two factions are still not popping up.

Yup just found that out the hard way. Talk about total incompetence. Someone forgot to upload the update.

3 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

It is not in the Apple Store yet though.

Well to be fair it is not out on Google Play yet. It just says it was out!

That's because the app is just a web interface..... Probably have not released the update there and Google Play cleared the update early before the back end was activated.

Makes me sad was hoping for a proper app..... Looks like the stupid web interface system will continue.

There really is no code to update on what's installed on your device because nothing happens on your device.

Edited by Icelom

9 minutes ago, Icelom said:

That's because the app is just a web interface..... Probably have not released the update there and Google Play cleared the update early before the back end was activated.

Makes me sad was hoping for a proper app..... Looks like the stupid web interface system will continue.

There really is no code to update on what's installed on your device because nothing happens on your device.

Sad but true.... what were those 3rd party apps for 2nd edition called?

9 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

As long as they don't get C&D by Disney or Asmodee. (Still upset over Stage 9).

C&D for YASB is unlikely since he doesn't collect money and the knowledge on there is all on FFG's website anyway (he's basically just giving them free advertising). 

That being said, I find the option of using no app actually kinda nice, the printed PDFs are fine. It would be nice if we got one for Hyperspace that just had the Hyperspace stuff on it rather than the "yes"/"no" column, but other than that I find the PDFs pretty perfect. 

18 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

C&D for YASB is unlikely since he doesn't collect money and the knowledge on there is all on FFG's website anyway (he's basically just giving them free advertising). 

That being said, I find the option of using no app actually kinda nice, the printed PDFs are fine. It would be nice if we got one for Hyperspace that just had the Hyperspace stuff on it rather than the "yes"/"no" column, but other than that I find the PDFs pretty perfect. 

OP supports YASB 2.0 for submitting your list though Best Coast Pairings, I can't see it getting s C&D unless it became a commercial enterprise.

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

It doesn't have to make money (take a look at Stage 9), that was a free download but it got C&D just the same. You are thinking about Fair Use which is a different thing entirely and it is not a right but it is a defense. However I don't think YASB could use Fair Use as a defense if they get sued. If FFG (or other affiliates) wanted to take it down, the notice will be shipped and it will get taken down.

That's the thing, if FFG wanted to. So far it doesn't seem that way and it would be a total PR nightmare if they made such an action. As you said the other party is making any money off that app and FFG App is free so they are not losing on any income (as far as we know). But if they did send a C&D letter, it is well within their rights to do so. This is the whole other concept of tolerated use. It is not explicit permission from the copyright holder, but the holder is not exercising their rights to prohibit such actions for whatever reason. However this is more of a protection for the copyright holder as in tolerated use the copyright holder(s) still retain their right to protect their IP at any given time (as we have seen with Stage 9, a fan film Damnaitus, and so many other well made fan projects). 

The mobile app updates are just to the mobile app. They probably had to apply some changes to allow the new factions to function properly in the mobile app. They have to issue these changes to Google/Apple ahead of when they actually go live in the squad-builder.

I assume that means we'll be getting the proper release this week. They should have worded these statements in a different way like, "preparing for incoming update to squad builder," or "adding changes to enable new factions when they become available to squad builder," etc.

FFG's app is garbage.  I stopped using it soon after it was released.  Its still garbage.  Thankfully, we have hero 3rd party developers doing what FFG can't.  My go to app is x-wing squads designer which now also has a web version.

http://www.dmborque.eu/swz/

Edited by Lace Jetstreamer
fixed link

2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

What is/was Stage 9?

A fan made virtual recreation of the entire USS Enterprise-D from Star Trek The Next Generation.

and the ending result

Rumor has it that it could have possibly interfered with the Star Trek MMO (as if) and so to protect revenue generated from an inferior product being siphoned away by a free product that gives a better experience, the C&D was sent, and it is now gone. However as @Darth Meanie would have said, the OSB App is not a revenue generating product so the 3rd party apps are not threatening any of FFG's revenue. However if by some reason FFG or affiliates with a stake in X-wing miniatures ever decide to do so, a C&D can go out and it is well within their rights (it just wouldn't be very smart).

12 hours ago, Lace Jetstreamer said:

FFG's app is garbage.  I stopped using it soon after it was released.  Its still garbage.  Thankfully, we have hero 3rd party developers doing what FFG can't.  My go to app is x-wing squads designer which now also has a web version.

http://www.dmborque.eu/swz/

Oooo. . .I like this one.  Does it print??  Can I download to a computer??

24 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Update with new factions are up.....somewhat. Still can't build the squads though. 

Yup I see, you can add them to your collection, but as far as squad building, still nothing. The factions are up but no ships have been added. Even in custom.