Marinealver

PSA App Update Shenanigans!

You can actually build squads now it seems.

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

48362378_725092224527730_155224147186260

HHHHHHHEEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEE~

If that is your collection, mind if I ask you show off the engines? I saw when they dropped in the UK they had engine glow, but it would be cool to see how it looks on a decent or better camera. 

1 hour ago, Lace Jetstreamer said:

Are you referring to running mobile apps on the desktop?  I am a Linux User (Ubuntu is the distro I use) so from my perspective the point of windows is to make Microsoft money.  Whereas the point of Linux Desktop is to provide a complete operating system experience for the user (altruistic as there is no profit motivation).

I smell what you're stepping in, but the irony of this statement is that the app likely sucks because it doesn't make FFG any money.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Darth Meanie

6 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I smell what you're stepping in, but the irony of this statement is that the app likely sucks because it doesn't make FFG any money.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

The price of a product isn't what I am talking about with Linux.  The reason that Linux is so great is that its Free (as in freedom), open source and based off of Unix.  The Freedom part allows anyone and everyone in the world to work on the software to improve it and to make it work for them.  Unix had a far superior architecture to windows as Unix was developed as a multi-user operating system while windows was developed for a single user.  Linux used the same type of architecture (multi-user environment) but created a monolithic kernel instead of a micro-kernel which is what Unix used.

So why are 3rd party apps better than the FFG app?

The FFG app was contracted to some 3rd part developer.  I don't know who the dev is but I can say for sure they didn't do any market research and never tried any of the other 3rd party apps.  They most likely are not x-wing players.

The 3rd party developers creating list builders all do it because they have a passion for the game.  They are building the app for themselves first and foremost.  That is what drives Linux's superiority over window for instance.  I will also note that the 3rd party apps are also free and provide a much better experience.

FFG got what they paid for - a garbage app - probably at a garbage rate.

And yet all of this discussion makes me wonder ...

If FFG paid for, and built a truly first class app, with all the bells and whistles anyone could ever want, alpha and beta tested the *&^% out of it, asked for feedback etc., and then CHARGED for the app ...

I can hear the distant screams already about how they are gouging their customers and just trying to make a buck where ever they can, etc., etc., etc.  Basically what we already hear when they come out with expansions and/or conversion kits that don't fully satisfy each and every person's personal wish list ...

Most of the active participants on this forum are never happy, no matter what approach FFG takes ...

Edited by any2cards

3 hours ago, Lace Jetstreamer said:

Are you referring to running mobile apps on the desktop?  I am a Linux User (Ubuntu is the distro I use) so from my perspective the point of windows is to make Microsoft money.  Whereas the point of Linux Desktop is to provide a complete operating system experience for the user (altruistic as there is no profit motivation).

As for running Android apps on the desktop, I recommend genymotion as its cross platform and integrates with Android Studio (if you want to develop apps).

2019 is going to be the year of Linux on the desktop. 

32 minutes ago, any2cards said:

And yet all of this discussion makes me wonder ...

If FFG paid for, and built a truly first class app, with all the bells and whistles anyone could ever want, alpha and beta tested the *&^% out of it, asked for feedback etc., and then CHARGED for the app ...

I can hear the distant screams already about how they are gouging their customers and just trying to make a buck where ever they can, etc., etc., etc.  Basically what we already hear when they come out with expansions and/or conversion kits that don't fully satisfy each and every person's personal wish list ...

Most of the active participants on this forum are never happy, no matter what approach FFG takes ...

I guess it depends on the price of their app compared to free alternatives.  But we can play what'ifs all day.  The fact is, FFG's app is garbage.  I use the superior options that are also free.

4 minutes ago, zimut-X said:

Maul + Dark Side works only if the pilot have the Force Slot !!!

Rage can equip Asajj without Maul ...

Bug or definitive reality ???

These seemed like the logical conclusions. Several people reported hearing straight from Alex that Scum would be included in the "dark side" factions, for force upgrades, so I wouldn't think it's a bug.

Oh! I need to actually put Hate in my Hatin' Kanan build now! :D 

6 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

That would be the rational thing to think, but this is an app complaint thread, and we don't have time for rational thinking! 

In all seriousness though, that was meant more as a playful jab. I'm guessing that FFG does understand why people have issues with the app, but they must be tired of hearing about it by now. I know I would be if I were the one that had to fix the thing. 

Well how rational was it to set out the update notice a day before the update. This has been a very confusing update process, which is why I changed the title again.

6 hours ago, PanchoX1 said:

Interesting that they didn't leave a second edition format somewhere. That would be the mode you'd want for Wave championship event squad building. I suppose you can just make what you need in the custom format.

Hyperspace is 2nd Edition 2.0. There just isn't enough ships for all the different factions. Sure you technically can make Resistance or even a 1st Order list, but there wouldn't be much variety.

1 hour ago, T70 Driver said:

Can anyone using an Android phone save squads with the 1.1.0 patch? Right now I can't save any squads on my phone.

It is tricky but you have to name the squad before you start adding ships/pilots. But yes the new factions can save squads.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:43 PM, Marinealver said:

It is tricky but you have to name the squad before you start adding ships/pilots. But yes the new factions can save squads.

Tried naming the squad first. Still can't save any squads.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck.

Update: The app is now able to save squads on my phone. Don't know what I did to fix the problem but it's working now.

Edited by T70 Driver

11 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Of all the battles I wouldn't want to recreate. :(

The actual shortest offensive of all time, Lando be damned.

Hahahaha! But hey, it was successful right?

10 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

You can actually build squads now it seems.

If that is your collection, mind if I ask you show off the engines? I saw when they dropped in the UK they had engine glow, but it would be cool to see how it looks on a decent or better camera. 

WELL... My camera sucks! But I didn't notice any glow tbh.

On 12/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, Marinealver said:

So on Goggle Play and updating the app right now. Well looks like I have some work to do as I need to update my custom formats Allies & Mercenaries as well as a new bridge between 2nd edition and extended.

So in the "What's New" portion of Google Play it specificly says Resistance 1stOrder and Mining guild TIE has been added

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyflightgames.xwingsquadbuilder

After downloading the update there was no changes. Someone forgot to upload the update.

It works now

Is this new update confirming that Wave II is dropping today?  

16 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

2019 is going to be the year of Linux on the desktop. 

As far as I am concerned, 2018 already was. The largest argument for windows in a home setting, video games, got some pretty large holes this year with how well lutris works now. Been using Linux Mint for a while now and honestly it is so much more convenient than windows it isn't even funny (my only half win10 supported audio interface just worked plug and play). And that's all before you get into the stuff it allows you to do if you have some interest in computers!