Sign in to follow this  
_Coeus_

Player card only packs released after a cycle is complete?

Hi FFG,

My group always goes out an buys the new big box for each season, but we end up sharing the expansion packs.  We have discussed this several times, and believe that there is a market for player only content packs after a season is finished.  I would gladly pay $20-$25 for each season's player cards, but I don't want or need another copy of each of the locations, acts, mosters, etc.  I understand that you do not want to cut into your expansion pack sales, but there is probably quite a market for groups like mine that want the deckbuilding options.

Thanks

Will. Never. Ever. EVER. Happen.

Cutting into expansion pack sales is exactly what this would do even if there were “quite a market” for groups like yours but more likely what this is going to do is just be a shelfwarmer because almost everyone already owns its contents via the regular packs. 

There is no reason to assume the overlap in the Venn diagram between “people who want player cards” and “people who don’t want scenario cards to make those player cards usable is more than minuscule. And even if there were, it’s not good business to create a product whose sole purpose is to facilitate people not to buy your highest margin products.

27 minutes ago, Grimwalker said:

Will. Never. Ever. EVER. Happen.

Cutting into expansion pack sales is exactly what this would do even if there were “quite a market” for groups like yours but more likely what this is going to do is just be a shelfwarmer because almost everyone already owns its contents via the regular packs. 

There is no reason to assume the overlap in the Venn diagram between “people who want player cards” and “people who don’t want scenario cards to make those player cards usable is more than minuscule. And even if there were, it’s not good business to create a product whose sole purpose is to facilitate people not to buy your highest margin products.

Agreed.  Will never happen.  Generally speaking, companies will only make a product that undermines an existing line when the existing line's sales are serious slumping.  At that point, a "bundle" product can drive sales and revitalize the line.  With an LCG like Arkham, a consistent sales slump is more likely to result in a cancellation than a bundle deal.

It would probably be possible to come to an arrangement with someone like Drive-Thru cards to print/buy singles or set cards at a price that is enough to maintain the margin. I'm not saying it's likely this early in AHLCG's career, but the math won't always be an auto-fail from a business standpoint. Their business plan probably still has at least another 3-5 years in it.

Eventually the numbers of scenario decks will exceed what one person could ever buy and there will be a point (that is not end of life for the product line) at which you will need nontraditional products in order to draw new players who don't already belong to groups that have purchased all prior sets.

That’s a total non-starter. How are singles obtained? Through deluxe sets and Mythos packs.

What’s the full cost of a set of player cards from a single cycle? 6x15+30=$120, just to break even, let alone shipping, web site fees, payment processing fees, and other overhead.

What’s the cost of just buying the packs like a normal person? 🤔

On 12/13/2018 at 8:12 AM, Grimwalker said:

That’s a total non-starter. How are singles obtained? Through deluxe sets and Mythos packs.

What’s the full cost of a set of player cards from a single cycle? 6x15+30=$120, just to break even, let alone shipping, web site fees, payment processing fees, and other overhead.

What’s the cost of just buying the packs like a normal person? 🤔

Even if you were to cut the cost packs in half (to account for only selling player cards), there is no way it could be listed as $20-$25.  You would be looking at at least $60 dollars for an entire cycle, plus additional fees.

I would say there are plenty of archive sites out there with player cards. If you have a color printer, and some clear card sleeves there is no reason you cant print them out, fold them over an existing card and slide it into a sleeve. It would not be as pretty, but it would work all the same.