Sign in to follow this  
UnitOmega

Shadowlands sourcebook and Mask of the Oni adventure announced

l5r06_book_left.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/12/10/enter-the-shadowlands/

l5r07_sample.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/12/10/mask-of-the-oni/

Firstly, called it.

Second, super excited for this. FFG's sourcebooks like this are always super helpful at letting you steer the theme in a specific way, and the player additions are almost always fun. Plus hey, people get their Falcon Clan!

Edited by UnitOmega

Innnteresting. We are getting more Crab and Falcon info, so it seems clans will be packed together in thematic sourcebooks?

Though in that case I wonder where are the Hare? They are maho hunters usually.

Can't be happier here.  They concentrate on Crab, Falcon and Shadowlands in the next round of products.  That's always been my favorite part of the setting.  The Shadowlands has been very lightly touched on so far in the fiction.  It will be good to get some products solidifying this stuff in the new continuity.

16 minutes ago, Avatar111 said:

crabs are not my go to, i'd rather play political campaigns, but I am extremely excited about the product anyway. looks pretty.

Crab aren't the only ones who find themselves in the empire of the true Son of Heaven.

Fu Leng welcomes you with open arms.

Bow to your sensei.

Edited by Deathseed

45 minutes ago, Nheko said:

I think @sndwurks will be more than happy to see his beloved Falcon detailed in here! 😉

Yes.

My only complaint is that the deluxe art prints with the adventure are only available through direct pre-order. This is something I very much dislike. Support your Friendly Local Gaming Store. Buy L5R through them!

2 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

Yes.

My only complaint is that the deluxe art prints with the adventure are only available through direct pre-order. This is something I very much dislike. Support your Friendly Local Gaming Store. Buy L5R through them!

Hear, hear!

Once in a blue moon ok... but not on every release...

1 hour ago, sndwurks said:

Yes.

Hopefully they'll publish an artbook like Android...

12 hours ago, sndwurks said:

"Pre-orders are a convenient way for fans of Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) to order new FFG products ahead of their release dates. We always recommend that players pre-order new FFG products through their local hobby games retailer, to support and ensure the well-being of local hobby gaming communities.

If you still wish to pre-order directly from FFG, please hit “Continue” below. If this is the first time that you are placing a pre-order with FFG, please read the pre-order FAQ."

Also, $46 shipping. Which will put the total amount over the tax-exempt limit. I'd likely be looking at $85-90 total. 

Yes, the appearance of "pre-order bonuses" means I won't get this. 

It's really only viable for those in the States due to exorbitant shipping costs... It means FLGS get less business... And it encourages blind buying. 

It's a sad day.

Hope they greatly expand Shadowlands Taint rules, I miss insanity, mutations and other weirdness. Afflicted-condition and Disadvantage for each Ring fail to convey the threat of infection, even if they make character Tainted and Otherworldly. Expanded Maho and Blood Magic rules are welcome addition, at least for villains if not for honorable player use. Also, how the Fingers of Jade are supposed to work?

20 hours ago, Deathseed said:

Crab aren't the only ones who find themselves in the empire of the true Son of Heaven.

Fu Leng welcomes you with open arms.

Bow to your sensei.

This could be a good opportunity to bring in the Moto Fanatics and maybe expand on the Shinjo and Daidoji some.

9 hours ago, 987654321 said:

That art with the Crab woman and the giant skeleton...

Is she moonwalking?

If your job were to delay that thing, you wouldn't you try to challenge it to a dance-off before resorting to combat?

Honestly though, I was really hoping the first adventure would have something to do with the scorpion clan coup (even if FFG turns it on it's ear somehow.. making it a Phoenix clan coup or something.)

To me it feels like this is an aspect of the setting that has been largely underrepresented so far in the FFG fictions.  So it makes sense that they picked it first.  The Scorpion and Phoenix have been getting a lot of love in the card game fictions so far so I can see how that might not be their go-to releases.  By the same token Unicorn and Crane have a novella right around the corner. 

Also the core book and I expect The Emerald Empire is largely concerned with Rokugan and it's internal politics and conflicts.  Shadowlands and the horror aspect of L5R was a big part of the setting so I think it's a good thing that they reinforce that sooner rather than later.  Clearly that's what they are going for considering they put Falcon in there as well so you can tell ghost stories.

I would love to preorder these, but getting these products directly from FFG is so expensive.  Do they extend this offer for preoders placed through local retailers?  If they don't then they really should consider it.  I suspect they'd get more people preodering and therefore a better gauge on interest for their printing run.

Edited by phillos

2 hours ago, phillos said:

To me it feels like this is an aspect of the setting that has been largely underrepresented so far in the FFG fictions. So it makes sense that they picked it first.

Very much so. The last two novellas have taken place in one of the furthest reaches of Northern Rokugan and one of its largest cities, so it's apt that the next major look into the world takes place far to the South.  Even if I don't use the Shadowlands a great deal in games, it's nice that FFG is fleshing out their take on it.

13 hours ago, Peltast88 said:

Very much so. The last two novellas have taken place in one of the furthest reaches of Northern Rokugan and one of its largest cities, so it's apt that the next major look into the world takes place far to the South.  Even if I don't use the Shadowlands a great deal in games, it's nice that FFG is fleshing out their take on it.

To be fair, it's a nice asset even for a non-let's-go-stomp-some-monsters campaign; "The Wall" includes the place that the Hida court is held, which is supposed to be a common "kiddies first winter court" - largely because unless it's the Imperial Winter Court that year, no-one goes there if they have any other invitation.

Because....well.....however closely allied you might be to the crab clan, would you rather spend winter in a nice, heated palace with some easily impressed and eligible young courtiers, or freezing your backside off at the wall?